The Center of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics at the HSE was created in 1996. The key areas of its activity are:
- Scientific and applied research in the area of environmental economics and the use of natural resources;
- Development of courses on the basics of natural resources management, organization of educational programmes and training on topical problems of environmental management.
The Center has prepared and implemented a number of modern educational courses, including Economics of Environment and Natural Resources and Market Methods of Environmental Management. The HSE Publishing House has published educational materials accompanying both of these courses.
The Center actively participates in international projects with universities and organizations in Great Britain, USA, Germany, Denmark and other countries, as well as with international organizations, such as the OECD, World Bank and others.
The Center is an active participant of research projects in the following fields:
- Climate change and global carbon market;
- Energy efficiency and energy security;
- Sustainable development and economic growth;
- Economic methods of environmental management;
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of natural resources use;
- Ecological and economic indicators of the development of power industry and other branches of industry.