Faculty and Staff
- The International Laboratory for Education Policy Analysis at the HSE Graduate School of Education : Academic Supervisor, Leading Research Fellow
Education and Degrees
- BA: California Institute of Technology, 1960
- MA: University of Chicago, 1961
- PhD: University of Chicago, 1964, thesis: The Cost and Return to Schooling in Mexico
- Master: University of Chicago, 1961
- Bachelor: California Institute of Technology, 1960
|2006-present||Vida Jacks Professor of Education, Stanford University|
|1977-2005||Professor of Education and Economics, Stanford University|
|1971-77||Associate Professor of Education and Economics, Stanford University|
|1968-71||Assistant Professor of Education and Economics, Stanford University|
|1964-68||Research Associate in Economics, Foreign Policy Division, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.|
- Applied Econometrics
- Economics of Education
- International Comparative Education
- Do Countries Paying Teachers Higher Relative Salaries Have Higher Student Mathematics Achievement? (lead author) Amsterdam and East Lansing, MI, TEDS-M, IEA, 2009.
- Vouchers and Public School Performance. Economic Policy Institute, 2007.
- Estimating Causal Effects Using Experimental and Observational Designs: A Think Tank White Paper (with Barbara Schneider (Chair), Jeremy Kilpatrick, William Schmidt, and Richard Shavelson). Washington, D.C.: American Educational Research Association. 2007.
- Cuba’s Academic Advantage (with Amber Gove and Jeffery Marshall). Stanford Press, 2007. Portuguese edition, 2009; Spanish edition, 2010.
- The Charter School Dust-Up (with Rebecca Jacobson, Lawrence Mishel, and Richard Rothstein), Teachers College Press and the Economic Policy Institute, 2005
- Las Lecciones de la Reforma Educativa en el Cono Sur Latinoamericano (with Gustavo Cosse, Cristian Cox, and Enrique Martinez), 2004.
- Reviews of National Policies for Education: Chile (editor and contributor). Paris: OECD, 2003.
- The New Accountability: High Schools and High Stakes Tests (with Richard Elmore and Leslie Siskin, eds.). New York: Routledge, 2003.
- Whitewashing Race (with Michael Brown and others). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 2003.
- All Else Equal: Are Private and Public Schools Different? (with Luis Benveniste and Richard Rothstein). New York: Routledge, 2002.
- Sustaining the New Economy: Work, Family, and Community in the Information Age, published by Harvard University Press and Russell Sage, 2001 (translated into Spanish, French, Korean, and Polish).
- Globalization and Educational Reform: What Planners Need to Know. Paris: International Institute of Educational Planning, 2000.
- Can Public Schools Learn from Private Schools (with Richard Rothstein and Luis Benveniste), Economic Policy Institute, 1999.
- Como anda a reforma da educacao na America Latina? (co-editor), Fundacao Getulio Vargas, 1997.
- International Encyclopedia of the Economics of Education (editor), Pergamon, 1995.
- Fathers of a Certain Age (with David Carnoy), Faber and Faber, 1995
- Faded Dreams: The Politics and Economics of Race in America, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- The Case for Basic Education, UNICEF, 1993.
- The New Global Economy in the Information Age (with Manuel Castells, Stephen Cohen, Fernando-Henrique Cardoso). Pennsylvania State University Press, 1993.
- Decentralization and School Improvement (co-editor with Jane Hannaway), Jossey-Bass, 1993.
- Education and Social Transformation in the Third World (with Joel Samoff), 1989.
- Economia Politica del Financiamento Educativo (with Henry Levin, Reginald Nugent, Suleman Sumra, Carlos Torres, and Jeff Unsicker) Mexico, D.F.: Ediciones Gernika, 1986.
- Schooling and Work in a Democratic State (with Henry Levin). Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1985 (also available in Spanish, Portuguese, and Japanese).
- The State and Political Theory. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1984 (also available in Portuguese, Greek, Japanese).
- Educacao, Economia e Estado. Sao Paulo, Brazil: Cortez. A New Social Contract (with Derek Shearer and Russell Rumberger). Harper and Row, 1983.
- Economic Democracy (with Derek Shearer), Sharpe, 1980.
- Cuba: Cambio Economica y Reforma Educativa, 1955-1978 (with Jorge Werthein. Mexico, D.F.: Editorial Nueva Imagen, 1980 (also available in Portuguese).
- Education, Work, and Employment-II (with Henry Levin and Kenneth King). Paris: International Institute for Educational Planning, 1980 (also available in French).
- Can Educational Policy Equalize Income Distribution in Latin America? (with Jose Lobo, Alejandro Toledo, and Jacques Velloso). Westmead, England: Saxon House with International Labour Office, 1979.
- Education and Employment: A Critical Appraisal. Paris:International Institute for Educational Planning, 1977 (also available in French and Portuguese).
- The Limits of Educational Reform (with Henry Levin). New York:David McKay, 1976.
- Education as Cultural Imperialism. New York: David McKay, 1974.
- Cost-Benefit Analysis in Education: A Case Study of Kenya (withHans Thias). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins Press for the World Bank, 1972.
- Industrialization in a Latin American Common Market. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1972 (also available in Spanish).
- Latin American Economic Integration and U.S. Policy (with Joseph Grunwald and Miguel Wionczek). Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1972 (also available in Spanish).
- The Economics of Schooling and International Development. Cuernavaca, Mexico: Centro Intercultural de Documentacion, Cuaderno No. 63, 1971.
- Latin American Trade Patterns (with Donald Baerresen and Joseph Grunwald). Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1965.
- A Social Agenda for Democracy and Growth for the Next Twenty Years. (principal author). Washington, DC: Global Center for Democracy and Growth, 2009.
- Les coûts et le financement de l’éducation supérieure au Maroc (with N. Laroque and M. Tahraoui). Washington, D.C.: World Bank (report), 2004.
- La reforma educativa en America Latina (with Claudio de Moura Castro). Inter-American Development Bank, 1998.
- What is Happening to the U.S. Labor Market? (with Manuel Castells and Chris Benner). New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1997.
- Sustainable Flexibility (with Manuel Castells). OECD, 1997.
- Impact of structural adjustment on the employment and training of teachers. International Labour Organization, 1996 (JMEP/1996/II).
- Universities, Economic Development, and Innovation Systems, World Bank, 1993.
- Education Change and Structural Adjustment: A Case Study of Costa Rica (with Carlos Torres), UNESCO, 1993.
- The Changing Economic Position of Latinos in the U.S. Labor Market Since 1939 (with Raul Hinojosa and Hugh Daley). New York: Hunter College, Inter-university Program, Puerto Rican Center, 1990.
- Education and Development (with others), World Bank Discussion Paper, No. 95 (1990).
- Economic Modernization and Technology Transfer in the People's Republic of China (with Patrizio Bianchi and Manuel Castells), Center for Educational Research at Stanford, June, 1988.
- Computers and Education: Which Role for International Research? A Report on the Stanford/Unesco Symposium 10-14 March, 1986, Stanford University School of Education, prepared with Liza Loop. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, August 1986. (Also available in Spanish and French.)
- Higher Education and Graduate Employment in India: A Summary of Three Case Studies. Paris: International Institute of Educational Planning, 1986.
- Estudio de la educacion secundaria y superior en El Salvador, las tendencias en los requerimientos de mano de obra con educacion secundaria y superior, y las implicaciones para la politica de EDUCREDITO. Palo Alto, CA: Center for Economic Studies, 1977.
- The Payoff to "Better" Schooling: A Case Study of Tunisian Secondary Schools (with Richard Sack and Hans Thias). Washington, D.C.: The World Bank, 1977.
- Education and Public Sector Employment (with Robert Girling and Russell Rumberger. Palo Alto, CA: Center for Economic Studies, 1976.
- Theories of Labor Markets and Income Distribution (with Michael Carter). Mons, Belgium: Centre de Recherches Interdisciplinaires de Prospective Economique, Educative, et Sociale, Universite de l'Etat a Mons, 1975. Also in French, published by Universite de Dijon, Dijon, France, 1974.
- Theories of Labor Markets and Worker Productivity (with Michael Carter). Palo Alto, CA: Center for Economic Studies, 1974.
|Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Dobryakova M. S., Dossani R., Froumin I., Kuhns K., Tilak J. B., Rong W. University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy: Triumph of the BRICs?. Stanford : Stanford University, 2013.|
|Zakharov A., Carnoy M., Loyalka P. Which Teaching Practices Improve Student Performance on High-Stakes Exams? Evidence from Russia / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2013.|
|Фрумин И. Д., Лоялка П. К., Карной М., Тилак Дж., Добрякова М. С., Ронг В. Массовое распространение высшего образования в странах БРИК // В кн.: Федеральный справочник. Образование в России Т. 9. М. : Издательский центр "Президент", 2013. С. 203-212.|
|Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Androushchak G., Kononova A. E.. The Economic Returns to Higher Education in the BRIC Countries and their Implications for Higher Education Expansion / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 02.|