- Academic Supervisor, Leading Research Fellow:Institute of Education / The International Laboratory for Education Policy Analysis at the HSE Graduate School of Education
- Martin Carnoy has been at HSE since 2011.
California Institute of Technology
University of Chicago
University of Chicago
Thesis Title: The Cost and Return to Schooling in Mexico
- Preprint Carnoy M., Kuzmina Y. The Effectiveness of Vocational versus General Secondary Education: Evidence from PISA 2012 for Countries with Early Tracking / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2015.
- Article Carnoy M., Khavenson T., Ivanova A. Using TIMSS and PISA results to inform educational policy: a study of Russia and its neighbours // Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education. 2015. Vol. 45. No. 2. P. 248-271.
- Preprint Carnoy M., Вальдман А. И. How well do you need to know it to use it? / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2014.
- Preprint Carnoy M., Khavenson T., Costa L., Fonseca I., Marotta L. Is Brazilian Education Improving? A Comparative Foray Using PISA and SAEB Brazil Test Scores / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2014. No. 22.
- Article Zakharov A., Carnoy M., Loyalka P. Which teaching practices improve student performance on highstakes exams? Evidence from Russia // International Journal of Educational Development. 2014. Vol. 36 (May 2014). P. 13-21.
- Article Тюменева Ю. А., Вальдман А. И., Карной М. Что дают предметные знания для умения применять их в новом контексте? Первые результаты сравнительного анализа TIMSS-2011 и PISA-2012, проведенных на одной и той же выборке российских учащихся. // Вопросы образования. 2014. № 1. С. 8-24.
- Book Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Dobryakova M. S., Dossani R., Froumin I., Kuhns K., Tilak J. B., Rong W. University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy: Triumph of the BRICs?. Stanford : Stanford University, 2013.
- Preprint Zakharov A., Carnoy M., Loyalka P. Which Teaching Practices Improve Student Performance on High-Stakes Exams? Evidence from Russia / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2013.
- Chapter Фрумин И. Д., Лоялка П. К., Карной М., Тилак Дж., Добрякова М. С., Ронг В. Массовое распространение высшего образования в странах БРИК // В кн.: Федеральный справочник. Образование в России Т. 9. М. : Издательский центр "Президент", 2013. С. 203-212.
- Preprint Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Androushchak G., Anna Proudnikova. The Economic Returns to Higher Education in the BRIC Countries and their Implications for Higher Education Expansion / Working papers by NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 02.
- Do Countries Paying Teachers Higher Relative Salaries Have Higher Student Mathematics Achievement? (lead author) Amsterdam and East Lansing, MI, TEDS-M, IEA, 2009.
- Vouchers and Public School Performance. Economic Policy Institute, 2007.
- Estimating Causal Effects Using Experimental and Observational Designs: A Think Tank White Paper (with Barbara Schneider (Chair), Jeremy Kilpatrick, William Schmidt, and Richard Shavelson). Washington, D.C.: American Educational Research Association. 2007.
- Cuba’s Academic Advantage (with Amber Gove and Jeffery Marshall). Stanford Press, 2007. Portuguese edition, 2009; Spanish edition, 2010.
- The Charter School Dust-Up (with Rebecca Jacobson, Lawrence Mishel, and Richard Rothstein), Teachers College Press and the Economic Policy Institute, 2005
- Las Lecciones de la Reforma Educativa en el Cono Sur Latinoamericano (with Gustavo Cosse, Cristian Cox, and Enrique Martinez), 2004.
- Reviews of National Policies for Education: Chile (editor and contributor). Paris: OECD, 2003.
- The New Accountability: High Schools and High Stakes Tests (with Richard Elmore and Leslie Siskin, eds.). New York: Routledge, 2003.
- Whitewashing Race (with Michael Brown and others). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 2003.
- All Else Equal: Are Private and Public Schools Different? (with Luis Benveniste and Richard Rothstein). New York: Routledge, 2002.
- Sustaining the New Economy: Work, Family, and Community in the Information Age, published by Harvard University Press and Russell Sage, 2001 (translated into Spanish, French, Korean, and Polish).
- Globalization and Educational Reform: What Planners Need to Know. Paris: International Institute of Educational Planning, 2000.
- Can Public Schools Learn from Private Schools (with Richard Rothstein and Luis Benveniste), Economic Policy Institute, 1999.
- Como anda a reforma da educacao na America Latina? (co-editor), Fundacao Getulio Vargas, 1997.
- International Encyclopedia of the Economics of Education (editor), Pergamon, 1995.
- Fathers of a Certain Age (with David Carnoy), Faber and Faber, 1995
- Faded Dreams: The Politics and Economics of Race in America, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- The Case for Basic Education, UNICEF, 1993.
- The New Global Economy in the Information Age (with Manuel Castells, Stephen Cohen, Fernando-Henrique Cardoso). Pennsylvania State University Press, 1993.
- Decentralization and School Improvement (co-editor with Jane Hannaway), Jossey-Bass, 1993.
- Education and Social Transformation in the Third World (with Joel Samoff), 1989.
- Economia Politica del Financiamento Educativo (with Henry Levin, Reginald Nugent, Suleman Sumra, Carlos Torres, and Jeff Unsicker) Mexico, D.F.: Ediciones Gernika, 1986.
- Schooling and Work in a Democratic State (with Henry Levin). Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1985 (also available in Spanish, Portuguese, and Japanese).
- The State and Political Theory. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1984 (also available in Portuguese, Greek, Japanese).
- Educacao, Economia e Estado. Sao Paulo, Brazil: Cortez. A New Social Contract (with Derek Shearer and Russell Rumberger). Harper and Row, 1983.
- Economic Democracy (with Derek Shearer), Sharpe, 1980.
- Cuba: Cambio Economica y Reforma Educativa, 1955-1978 (with Jorge Werthein. Mexico, D.F.: Editorial Nueva Imagen, 1980 (also available in Portuguese).
- Education, Work, and Employment-II (with Henry Levin and Kenneth King). Paris: International Institute for Educational Planning, 1980 (also available in French).
- Can Educational Policy Equalize Income Distribution in Latin America? (with Jose Lobo, Alejandro Toledo, and Jacques Velloso). Westmead, England: Saxon House with International Labour Office, 1979.
- Education and Employment: A Critical Appraisal. Paris:International Institute for Educational Planning, 1977 (also available in French and Portuguese).
- The Limits of Educational Reform (with Henry Levin). New York:David McKay, 1976.
- Education as Cultural Imperialism. New York: David McKay, 1974.
- Cost-Benefit Analysis in Education: A Case Study of Kenya (withHans Thias). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins Press for the World Bank, 1972.
- Industrialization in a Latin American Common Market. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1972 (also available in Spanish).
- Latin American Economic Integration and U.S. Policy (with Joseph Grunwald and Miguel Wionczek). Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1972 (also available in Spanish).
- The Economics of Schooling and International Development. Cuernavaca, Mexico: Centro Intercultural de Documentacion, Cuaderno No. 63, 1971.
- Latin American Trade Patterns (with Donald Baerresen and Joseph Grunwald). Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1965.
- A Social Agenda for Democracy and Growth for the Next Twenty Years. (principal author). Washington, DC: Global Center for Democracy and Growth, 2009.
- Les coûts et le financement de l’éducation supérieure au Maroc (with N. Laroque and M. Tahraoui). Washington, D.C.: World Bank (report), 2004.
- La reforma educativa en America Latina (with Claudio de Moura Castro). Inter-American Development Bank, 1998.
- What is Happening to the U.S. Labor Market? (with Manuel Castells and Chris Benner). New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1997.
- Sustainable Flexibility (with Manuel Castells). OECD, 1997.
- Impact of structural adjustment on the employment and training of teachers. International Labour Organization, 1996 (JMEP/1996/II).
- Universities, Economic Development, and Innovation Systems, World Bank, 1993.
- Education Change and Structural Adjustment: A Case Study of Costa Rica (with Carlos Torres), UNESCO, 1993.
- The Changing Economic Position of Latinos in the U.S. Labor Market Since 1939 (with Raul Hinojosa and Hugh Daley). New York: Hunter College, Inter-university Program, Puerto Rican Center, 1990.
- Education and Development (with others), World Bank Discussion Paper, No. 95 (1990).
- Economic Modernization and Technology Transfer in the People's Republic of China (with Patrizio Bianchi and Manuel Castells), Center for Educational Research at Stanford, June, 1988.
- Computers and Education: Which Role for International Research? A Report on the Stanford/Unesco Symposium 10-14 March, 1986, Stanford University School of Education, prepared with Liza Loop. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, August 1986. (Also available in Spanish and French.)
- Higher Education and Graduate Employment in India: A Summary of Three Case Studies. Paris: International Institute of Educational Planning, 1986.
- Estudio de la educacion secundaria y superior en El Salvador, las tendencias en los requerimientos de mano de obra con educacion secundaria y superior, y las implicaciones para la politica de EDUCREDITO. Palo Alto, CA: Center for Economic Studies, 1977.
- The Payoff to "Better" Schooling: A Case Study of Tunisian Secondary Schools (with Richard Sack and Hans Thias). Washington, D.C.: The World Bank, 1977.
- Education and Public Sector Employment (with Robert Girling and Russell Rumberger. Palo Alto, CA: Center for Economic Studies, 1976.
- Theories of Labor Markets and Income Distribution (with Michael Carter). Mons, Belgium: Centre de Recherches Interdisciplinaires de Prospective Economique, Educative, et Sociale, Universite de l'Etat a Mons, 1975. Also in French, published by Universite de Dijon, Dijon, France, 1974.
- Theories of Labor Markets and Worker Productivity (with Michael Carter). Palo Alto, CA: Center for Economic Studies, 1974.
|2006-present||Vida Jacks Professor of Education, Stanford University|
|1977-2005||Professor of Education and Economics, Stanford University|
|1971-77||Associate Professor of Education and Economics, Stanford University|
|1968-71||Assistant Professor of Education and Economics, Stanford University|
|1964-68||Research Associate in Economics, Foreign Policy Division, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.|
- Applied Econometrics
- Economics of Education
- International Comparative Education
A HSE Institute of Education seminar on September 16, saw the launch of the Russian-language book Mass higher education – BRIC triumph? by HSE publishing house (the English original, University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy, Triumph of the BRICs? was published last year by Stanford University Press). Attendees discussed development trends in higher education.
is how many first-years will be admitted to Chinese universities in 2020. These and other interesting facts are presented in the book University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy. Triumph of the BRICs?,which has been released in Russian by the publishing house of the Higher School of Economics. The English version of the book was published a year ago by Stanford University’s publishing house.
‘Factors Affecting the Quality of Engineering Education in the Four Largest Emerging Economies’, an article co-authored by Isak Froumin,Martin Carnoy and Prashant Loyalka, was published in the academic journal Higher Education. The article focuses on assessing the evolving capacity of higher education systems in BRIC countries with respect to producing qualified engineering graduates.
Martin Carnoy, Academic Supervisor of the HSE International Laboratory for Educational Policy Research and the Vida Jacks Professor of Education at Stanford University, has been ranked fourteenth among North America’s most influential education scholars. He was recognized for his work analysing the results of an international education assessment.
Andrey Podolsky, HSE Professor of the Graduate School of Education, has become the first scientist in Eastern Europe to be inducted as a member of the International Academy of Education.
Boris Kuznetsov, Professor at the HSE Subdepartment of Economic Analysis of Organizations and Markets has recently returned from the US where he read a series of lectures on Russian economics to students at Stanford University. The HSE news portal asked him to talk about his impressions after the trip and about what prospects there are for working together in the future with our American colleagues.
On September 18th 2012, the HSE Institute for Educational Studies held the latest in its series of regular seminars. Martin Carnoy, Stanford University Professor and Academic Supervisor of the International Laboratory for Education Policy Analysis, spoke about ‘BRIC Triumph: Unprecedented Boom of Higher Education’.
On May 30th the third annual meeting of the Higher School of Economics International Advisory Committee (IAC) opened at the HSE.
On September 13th 2011 a seminar by the HSE Institute for Educational Studies took place. Martin Carnoy, Professor at the University of Stanford and Academic Supervisor at the HSE International Laboratory for Educational Policy Research, spoke on ‘The Low Achievement Trap: Comparing Schools in Botswana and South Africa’.