Andrei V. Vernikov
- Professor:Faculty of Economics / School of Finance / Department of Banking
- Academic Titles:Associate Professor (2008)
- Andrei V. Vernikov has been at HSE since 2006.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences*: thesis: "Foreign banks in European transition economies"
Postgraduate: 1984, speciality «International Economics»
Diploma: Moscow State Institute of International Relations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR, 1981, faculty: International Economics, speciality «International Economics»
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Editorship on academic journals
2000: Member of the Editorial Board, «Деньги и кредит».
- 201413th EACES Biennial Conference (Будапешт). Presentation: China and Russia: Institutional coherence between the banking systems
- 14th EBES Conference - Barcelona (Барселона). Presentation: Adjusting for revaluation of currency and securities in the empirical analysis of comparative bank performance
- Preprint Vernikov A. V. China and Russia: Institutional coherence between the banking systems / Working papers by UCL SSEES Centre for Comparative Economics. Series "Economics Working Paper". 2014. No. 130.
- Article Vernikov A. V. “National champions” in Russia’s banking services market // Problems of Economic Transition. 2014. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 3-25.
- Article Vernikov A. V. Does corporate governance really predict firms’ market values in emerging markets? The case of Russian banks // EJournal of Corporate Finance. 2013. No. 3(27). P. 23-36.
- Article Kirdina S., Vernikov A. V. Evolution of the banking system in the Russian context: An institutional view // Journal of Economic Issues. 2013. Vol. 47. No. 2. P. 475-484.
- Chapter Anisimova A. I., Muradyan P. A., Vernikov A. V. Bank competition in Russia: From aggregation to geographical segments, in: XIII Международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества. В 4 кн. Кн. 2. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 2. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2012. P. 24-32.
- Chapter Glushkova E., Vernikov A. V. Does state ownership of banks hinder financial development and economic growth in emerging markets?, in: XII Международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества. В четырех книгах. Книга 1. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 1. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2012. P. 579-588.
- Article Vernikov A. V. The impact of state-controlled banks on the Russian banking sector // Eurasian Geography and Economics. 2012. Vol. 53. No. 2. P. 250-266.
- Chapter Bokov V., Vernikov A. V. Interplay between corporate governance and market value of Russian banks: Are investors prepared to reward governance quality?, in: National Corporate Governance Report, Issue 4 / Пер. с рус. Issue 4. M. : , 2011. Ch. 3. P. 28-34.
- Chapter Bokov V. A., Vernikov A. V. Valuation of banking business in Russia for empirical purposes, in: X Международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 3 кн. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 2. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2010. P. 321-328.
- Chapter Vernikov A. V. Relationship between board of directors and executive management, in: National Corporate Governance Report, Issue 2 / Отв. ред.: A. Shastitko. Issue 2. M. : Academia, 2009. P. 32-36.
- Preprint Vernikov A. V. Russian banking: The state makes a comeback? / Working papers by Bank of Finland Institute for Economies in Transition. Series DP "BOFIT Discussion Papers". 2009. No. DP 24/2009.
- Article Vernikov A. V., Vassily Bokov. Quality of governance and bank valuation in Russia: An empirical study // EJournal of Corporate Finance. 2008. No. 7. P. 5-16.
- Chapter Vernikov A. V. Evolution of corporate governance in Russian banks, in: VIII Международная научная конференция. Модернизация экономики и общественное развитие: В 3 кн. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 2. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2007. P. 488-496.
- Teaching at the Higher School of Economics since 2006
- Executive positions in banking and finance since 1992, i.a.:
Black Sea Trade and Development Bank(Thessaloniki, Greece); ABN AMRO Bank(Moscow); International Monetary Fund(Washington DC, USA); Central Bank of the Russian Federation
- Non-executive Directorships in banking and real estate since 2005, experience with a total of 6 institutions in Russia, Lithuania and Ukraine
- Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Sciences.
Board Membership and Professional Associations
- Editorial Board member,
Dengi i kreditjournal (a Central Bank of Russia publication) National Association of Independent Directors National Register of Independent Directors (maintained by RSPP) European Association for Comparative Economics Studies (EACES) New Economic Association International Center for Banking and Corporate Governance
- Academic Board member, Higher School of Economics (2009-2014)
- Banking Systems (in English!). Where: Master's program, Faculty of Economics, Year 1. Course outline in Russian
- Research Seminar for Banking Studies. Where: Master's program, Faculty of Economics, Years 1 and 2
- Co-chair, Research Workshop "Empirical Studies of Banking" (working languages - Russian and English)
Training and internships
2011 - visiting research professor,
2009 - New Economic School (Moscow), Topics in Empirical Industrial Organization
2005 - National Association of Corporate Directors (USA) & National Association of Independent Directors (Russia), Director Professionalism course
2000 - Amsterdam Institute of Finance
1999 - Central and Eastern European College of ABN AMRO Bank (Budapest, Hungary), Commercial Banking Programme
1994 - Bank of Japan (Tokyo)
1994 - Institute of the International Monetary Fund (Washington DC, USA)
1993 - Banco de España (Madrid)
1993 - Joint Vienna Institute, Vienna
1992 - Economic Development Institute of the World Bank (Washington DC, USA)
1992 - Commission of the European Communities (Brussels ‑ Bonn ‑ Cologne - Lisbon)
1991 - Ministry of Finance of Poland (Warsaw)
1988, 1989 - visiting researcher, World Institute for Development Economics Research of the United Nations University (Helsinki, Finland)
Education and academic degrees
- 1984 - Cand.Sc.(Econ.)