Faculty and Staff
Vladimir A. Fomichov
- Faculty of Business Informatics | Department of Innovation and Business in Information Technologies: Professor
Academic title:Associate Professor, Professor
Education and Degrees
- Doctor of Sciences*: Moscow State Institute of Electronics and Mathematics, 2006, thesis: A method of representing in a formal way the content of complex natural language texts and its application to the design of linguistic processors
- Candidate of Sciences* (PhD): Moscow State Institute of Electronics and Mathematics, 1983, thesis: Development and application of methods of logic-algebraic modeling the mechanisms of speech-formation semantics
- Diploma: Moscow Institute of Electronic Engineering, 1973, faculty: Faculty of Applied Mathematics
Scientific Interests, Results, and Monographs
My papers pertain to the fields of Discrete Mathematics, Mathematical and Computational Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, Semantic Web, Multi-Agent Systems, Electronic Commerce, Cognitonics, and Theory of Education.
I am the author and a co-author of over 150 scientific publications, including over 70 papers in English published in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Germany, France, Great Britain, New Zealand, Norway, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Finland, U.S.A., and of three papers in French published in France and Switzerland.
In particular, the author of four monographs:
1. Fomichov V.A. Representing Information by Means of K-calculuses. Moscow, Moscow Institute of Electronic Engineering, 1988 (in Russian).
2. Fomichov V.A. Formalization of Designing Linguistic Processors. Moscow, MAX Press Publ. House, 2005.-368 p. (in Russian).
3. Fomichov V.A. Mathematical Foundations of Representing the Content of Messages Sent by Computer Intelligent Agents; Moscow, State University – Higher School of Economics, Publishing House "TEIS", 2007.-176 p. (in Russian).
4. Fomichov, V.A. Semantics-Oriented Natural Language Processing: Mathematical Models and Algorithms. IFSR International Series on Systems Science and Engineering, Vol. 27. Springer, New York, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London, 2010.-354 p.; http://www.springer.com/math/applications/book/978-0-387-72924-4
Principal Scientific Achievements
Created an original branch of Mathematical Informatics, Mathematical Linguistics, and Computational Linguistics, it is called Integral Formal Semantics of Natural Language (see Chapter 2 of the monograph ). In particular:
- Developed the first mathematical theory (it is called the theory of K-representations – knowledge representations) of describing structured meanings (or conceptual structures, or semantic structures, or text meaning representations) of arbitrary (it is a hypothesis) sentences and discourses pertaining to mass spheres of human activity (technology, economics, medicine, etc.); this theory introduces a new class of formal languages – the class of SK-languages (standard knowledge languages) (see Part 1 of the monograph );
- Constructed the first broadly applicable mathematical model of a linguistic database (it contains the data used by semantic-syntactic analyzers of natural language texts (NL-texts) for building their semantic representations ) (see Chapter 7 of the monograph );
- Created a new theoretical framework (a formal framework) for developing the algorithms of semantic-syntactic analysis of NL-texts (see Chapters 8 -9 of the monograph  and Chapter 9 -10 of the monograph ).
Proposed an original strategy of transforming the existing Web into a Semantic Web of a new generation (SW-2), or a Meanings Understanding Web, or a Multilingual Semantic Web; the principal distinguished feature of SW-2 is to be the well-developed computer mechanisms of processing NL-texts)(see Section 6.10 of the monograph  and my paper at http://www.informatica.si/vol34.htm#No3 ).
Developed the foundations (together with Dr. Olga S. Fomichova) of a new scientific discipline – Cognitonics (the selected papers on Cognitonics can be accessed free of charge on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at http://ssrn.com/author=1871348). The starting point was provided by the creation of the Theory of Dynamic Conceptual Mappings (V.A. Fomichov and O.S. Fomichova).
Command of Foreign Languages
English and German: fluently; French: read very well (both scientific literature and belles-lettres), can speak and write; Polish: read; Italian: read with dictionary (the learning of foreign languages has been my hobby during many years)
Scientific-organizational work on international level
International Scientific Expert
A member of the Experts Board attached to the Committee for Research Evaluation, the Italian Ministry for Education, Universities, and Research since 2003.
Editorial Boards of Scientific Journals
Associate Editor of the International Peer-Reviewed Journal "Educational Technology & Society" (head office in Canada, URL http://www.ifets.info) since 1998;
a member of the Editorial Board of the Scientific Journal in Russian “Informational Ttechnologies” (Moscow);
a member of the Editorial Board of INFORMATICA. An International Journal of Computing and Informatics (Ljubljana, Slovenia, Central Europe, URL http://www.informatica.si) since 1992;
a member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics (Emerald Group Publishing Limited, UK); http://www.emeraldinsight.com/ijicc.htm;
a member of the International Steering Committee of METALOGICON. An International Journal of Pure and Applied Logic, Linguistics, and Philosophy (Rome, Italy); http://www.metalogicon.org/COMMITTEE.html;
a member of the Editorial Board of an international peer-reviewed on-line journal “International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, published by the Center for Excellence in Teaching at Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia, USA (http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/ijsotl/).
Guest Editor of Special Issues of International Journals
An editor of nine Special Issues of the international scientific journals published in Germany, New Zealand, Slovenia, United Kingdom, including:
The Special Issue on Natural Language Processing and Multi-Agent Systems. INFORMATICA, 1998, Vol. 22, No. 4. This Special Issue includes the papers from the leading scientific centers of Canada, France, Great Britain, Italy, Russia, Switzerland, U.S.A.;
Special Issue on Database, Web and Cooperative Systems. INFORMATICA (Slovenia), 2000, Vol. 24, No. 1. This Special Issue includes 10 papers from the leading scientific centres of Australia, France, Great Britain, Japan, Russia, Taiwan;
Special Issue on Developing Creativity and Broad Mental Outlook in the Information Society, INFORMATICA (Slovenia), 2006, Vol. 30, No. 4. This Special Issue includes 8 papers from Botswana, Canada, Italy, The Netherlands, Romania, Russia;
Special Issue on Semantic Informational Technologies. INFORMATICA (Slovenia), 2010, Vol. 34, No. 3. This Special Issue includes 7 papers from the leading scientific centres of Bulgaria, Czechia, France, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovenia;
Fomichov, V.A. and Fomichova, O.S. (Gust Editors). Special Issue on the Human Being in the Digital World //Informatica. An International Journal of Computing and Informatics (Slovenia), 2012, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 119-166, www.informatica.si/vol36.htm#No2.This Special Issue includes 6 papers of the scholars from Croatia, Italy, Mexico, Poland, Romania, Russia.
The special issues on Developing Creativity and Broad Mental Outlook in the Computer Age of the international journal "Educational Technology and Society",
Vol. 4, Issue 2 (April 2001, URL http://ifets.ieee.org/periodical/vol_2_2001/v_2_2001.html),
Vol. 6, Issue 3 (July 2003), URL http://ifets.ieee.org/periodical/6_3/index.html.
Membership in the Program Committees of the intern. conferences, congresses, and workshops
Worked or am working as a member of the Program Committees of the international conferences, congresses, and workshops in Australia, Austria, Belgium, China (Hong Kong), Croatia, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malta, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, U.S.A.
Organizing and chairing international symposia and workshops
- Chair (President) of the Interdisciplinary Symposium “From Ideas of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science to New Theories and Methods of Teaching” under the framework of the 14th International Congress on Cybernetics, Namur, Belgium, August 1995
- Co-Chair of the Interdisciplinary Symposium “The Ideas of Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Science, and Philosophy for Social Progress” under the framework of the 15th International Congress on Cybernetics, Namur, Belgium, August 1998
- Chair of the First International Workshop "Developing Creativity and Large Mental Outlook in
the Computer Age - CLMO'2000" in conjunction with The Seventh Conference of the
International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI2000)
"Approaching a New Millenium: Lessons from the Past - Prospects for the Future",
University of Bergen, 14 - 18 August 2000, Web-site http://www.uib.no/issei2000 ; the workshop
attracted 22 presentations from Australia, Canada, France, Italy, Japan, Norway, Romania, Russia, United Kingdom, U.S.A.; it was the biggest workshop of the International Conference ISSEI-2000.
Co-Chair of the Second International Workshop “Developing Creativity and Broad Mental Outlook in the Computer Age – CBMO-2002” in conjunction with the Eighth Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas – ISSEI 2002, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK, 22 - 27 July, 2002.
- Chair of the Third International Workshop “Developing Creativity and Broad Mental Outlook in the Computer Age – CBMO-2006” in conjunction with the 10th Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas – ISSEI 2006, University of Malta, Malta, July 24 - 29, 2006, URL http://issei2006.haifa.ac.il/.
Organizer and Co-chair of the First International Workshop on Cognitonics (Cognit-2009, October 12 - 13, 2009; http://is.ijs.si/is/is2009/konference/Kognitonika/Cognitonics.html) – a subconference of the 12th International Scientific Multiconference "Information Society" – IS 2009" (October 12-16, 2009, Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia, Central Europe, http://is.ijs.si/is/is2009/vabilo_eng.asp?lang=eng).
Organizer and Co-chair of the Second International Conference on Cognitonics (Cognit-2011, October 10 - 11, 2011; http://is.ijs.si/is/is2011/konference/kognitonika/cognitonics.html) – a subconference of the 14th International Scientific Multiconference "Information Society" – IS 2011" (October 10-14, 2011, Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia, http://is.ijs.si/is/is2011/vabilo_eng.asp?lang=eng).
Organizer and Co-chair of the Third International Conference on Cognitonics – the Science about the Human Being in the Digital World (Cognit-2013, 2011 October 7 - 8, 2013, http://is.ijs.si/is/is2013/konference/kognitonika/Cognitonics.html) – a subconference of the 16th International Scientific Multiconference "Information Society" – IS 2013 (October 7 - 11, 2013, Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia, http://is.ijs.si).
March 2007 Full Professor of Computer Science, National Research University Higher School of Economics (former State University – Higher School of Economics) ,
to present Faculty of Business Informatics, Department of Innovation and Business in the Sphere
of Informational Technologies, Kirpichnaya str. 33, 105187 Moscow, Russia
18.06.2011 – 18.07.2011 Invited Visiting Professor of Computer Science (highest category) at the University Montpellier II, Laboratory LIRMM, France. During this period delivered the Keynote Address “The prospects revealed by the theory of K-representations for bioinformatics and Semantic Web” at the Opening Session of the 18th International Conference on Automatic Processing of Natural Languages – TALN 2011 /Traitement Automatique des Langues Naturelles (University Montpellier II, June 27 – July 1, 2011).
Sept. 2007 Academic Secretary of the Faculty of Business Informatics, State University – Higher
to present School of Economics, Kirpichnaya str. 33, 105679 Moscow, Russia
June 2008 to present Scientific Secretary of the Dissertation Council (Ph.D. degree and higher Dr.Sci. degree), the speciality “Mathematical modeling, calculative methods, and computer programs”, State University – Higher School of Economics, Kirpichnaya str. 33, 105679 Moscow
March 2000 An Adjunct Professor of the Online Education Center “SNHU Online Education”,
to June 2009 Division of Continuing Education, Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU)
2500 North River Road, Manchester, New Hampshire, U.S.A.
I taught in English from Moscow the courses Discrete Mathematics (MAT-230, former MAT-320), Finite Mathematics (MAT-120), Mathematical Concepts and Techniques for Business (MAT-121), and Statistics (MAT-220) under the framework of the Online Education Program at SNHU (over 85 mathematical online classes (Blackboard-based) at SNHU).
The estimations of my work at SNHU are as follows:
- I am a biographee of Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2002/2003, Seventh edition and 2005/2006 Edition
- My distance education work was appreciated in two issues of the Southern New Hampshire University Magazine, Fall 2001, the article “Long-Distance Learning: Time and Space are Relative” (p. 13) and Fall 2002, the article “Russian DE Professor named to Who’s Who” (p. 3).
1996 to present Full Professor of Computer Science (half time), K.E.Tsiolkovsky Russian State Technological University - "MATI" ,
Department of Information Technologies, Orshanskaya str. 3, 121552 Moscow, Russia
1995 to 2003 A part-time Associate Professor, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, Department of
Discrete Mathematics, Vorobyovy Hills str., 119899 Moscow, Russia
1984 to Associate Professor and Full Professor of Computer Science and Cybernetics,
June 2007 Moscow State Institute of Electronics and Mathematics (former Moscow Institute of Electronic Engineering), Faculty of Applied Mathematics, Department of Cybernetics and after its dividing in two parts in 1986 - Department of Mathematical Methods and
Programming for Information Processing and Control Systems , B.Tryokhsvyatitelsky pereulok 3/12, 109028 Moscow, Russia
Publications – 2013
1. Fomichov, V.A. A Broadly Applicable and Flexible Conceptual Metagrammar as a Basic Tool for Developing a Multilingual Semantic Web // Elisabeth Metais, Farid Meziane, Mohamad Saraee, Vijayan Sugumaran, Sunil Vadera (Eds.), Natural Language Processing and Information Systems. 18th International conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems, NLDB 2013, Salford, UK, June 2013,
2. The Advantages of Using SK–languages for Designing Semantic-Syntactic Analyzers of Recommender Systems //
3. Fomichov, V.A. and Fomichova, O.S.The Peculiarities of the Mindfullness-Based Development of the Personality under the Frame of Cognitonics // George E. Lasker and Kensei Hiwaki (Eds.) Personal and Spiritual Development in the World of Cultural Diversity, Vol. X. The International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics (IIAS), Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada, 2013, p. 37-41, ISBN 978-1-897546-68-0.
4. Fomichov V.A. and Fomichova O.S. The Significance of Mindfulness-Based Educational Methods Provided by Cognitonics for Positive Psychology Movement // M. Gams, R. Piltaver, D. Mladenic et al (Eds.), Proceedings of the 16th International Multiconference INFORMATION SOCIETY - IS 2013, October 7th – 11th, 2013, Ljubljana, Slovenia, Vol. A, Section Kognitonika/Cognitonics. Jozef Stefan Institute, 2013, pp. 425-429; available online at http://is.ijs.si/is/is2013/zborniki.asp?lang=eng.
5. Fomichova O.S . and Fomichov V.A. The Risk of Postponing Early Socialization of Smart Young Generation in Modern Information Society // Proceedings of the 16th International Multiconference INFORMATION SOCIETY - IS 2013, October 7th – 11th, 2013, Ljubljana, Slovenia, Vol. A, Section Kognitonika/Cognitonics. Jozef Stefan Institute, 2013, pp. 430-434; available online at http://is.ijs.si/is/is2013/zborniki.asp?lang=eng .
|Fomichov V. A. Broadly Applicable and Flexible Conceptual Metagrammar as a Basic Tool for Developing a Multilingual Semantic Web , in: Natural Language Processing and Information Systems. 18th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems, NLDB 2013, Salford, UK, June 2013. Proceedings Issue LNCS 7934. L., NY, Dordrecht, Heidelberg : Springer, 2013. P. 249-259.|
|Fomichov V. A. The Advantages of Using SK–languages for Designing Semantic-Syntactic Analyzers of Recommender Systems , in: Advances in decision technology and intelligent information systems / Науч. ред.: G. E. Lasker, K. J. Engemann. Issue XIV. Tecumseh, Ontario : The International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics, 2013. P. 37-41.|
|Fomichov V. A. The Peculiarities of the Mindfulness-Based Development of the Personality under the Frame of Cognitonics , in: Personal and Spiritual Development in the World of Cultural Diversity / Науч. ред.: G. E. Lasker, K. Hiwaki. Вып. X. Текамси, Онтарио : The International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics, 2013. P. 37-41.|
|Fomichov V. A., Fomichova O. S. A Contribution of Cognitonics to Secure Living in Information Society // Informatica. 2012. Vol. 36. No. 2. P. 121-130.|
|Fomichov V. A., Kirillov A. V. A Formal Model for Constructing Semantic Expansions of the Search Requests about the Achievements and Failures , in: Artificial Intelligence: Methodology, Systems, and Applications. 15th International Conference, AIMSA 2012, Varna, Bulgaria, September 12-15, 2012. Proceedings / Науч. ред.: A. Ramsay, G. Agre. Issue 7557. L., NY, Dordrecht, Heidelberg : Springer, 2012. P. 296-304.|
|Fomichov V. A., Кирилов А. С. A formal model for constructing semantic expansions of the search requests about the achievements and failures // Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2012. Vol. 7557 LNAI. P. 296-304.|
|Fomichova O. S., Fomichov V. A. An Algorithm of Behavior at the Moment of Informational-Emotional Attacks via Social Networks , in: Personal and Spiritual Development in the World of Cultural Diversity / Ed. by G. E. Lasker, K. Hiwaki. Issue 9. Tecumseh : The International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics, 2012. P. 45-49.|
|Fomichov V. A., Fomichova O. S. Introduction to the Special Issue on “The Human Being in the Digital World” // Informatica. 2012. Vol. 36. No. 2. P. 119-120.|
|Fomichov V. A. The Theory of K-representations as a Flexible Tool for Designing Natural-Language Interfaces of Recommender System , in: Advances in Decision Technology and Intelligent Information Systems, Vol. XIII / Науч. ред.: K. J. Engemann, G. E. Lasker. Issue 13. Tecumseh : The International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics, 2012. P. 6-10.|
|V.A. Fomichov and O.S. Fomichova (Guest Editors) Special Issue on the Human Being in the Digital World. Informatica. An International Journal of Computing and Informatics / Науч. ред.: V. A. Fomichov, O. S. Fomichova. Issue 36. Ljubljana : Slovene Society Informatica, 2012.|
|Фомичев В. А. Значение новой научной дисциплины когнитоники для нравственного возрождения и модернизации России // В кн.: Россия: тенденции и перспективы развития. Ежегодник. Выпуск 7. Ч.2 / Отв. ред.: Ю. Пивоваров. Ч. 2. Вып. 7. М. : ИНИОН РАН, 2012. С. 714-718.|
|Fomichov V. A. The prospects revealed by the theory of K-representations for bioinformatics and Semantic Web , in: Actes de la 18e conference sur le Traitement Automatique des Langues Naturels. Actes de la 15e Rencontre des Etudiants Cercheurs en Informatique pour le Traitement Automatique des Langues. France, Montpellie, 27th June - 1st July 2011 Vol. 1: Actes: articles longs. Montpellier : AVL Diffusion, 2011. P. 5-20.|
|Кириллов А. В., Фомичев В. А. О новом подходе к семантическому преобразованию естественно-языковых запросов поисковых систем // Бизнес-информатика. 2011. № 1. С. 61-68.|
|Фомичев В. А. Предисловие редактора // В кн.: Незаданные вопросы гуманитарного образования. М. : Издательство МГУ, 2011. С. 7-8.|
|Fomichov V. A. A Multilingual Algorithm of Texts’ Semantic-Syntactic Analysis for Adaptive Planning Systems , in: Pre-Conference Proceedings of the Focus Symposium on Advances in Adaptive Planning Capabilities (August 3, 2010, Focus Symposia Chair: Jens Pohl) in conjunction with InterSymp-2010, 22nd International Conference on Systems Research, Informatics and Cybernetics, August 2 – 6, 2010, Germany). San Luis Obispo : -, 2010. P. 99-113.|
|Fomichov V. A. Semantics-Oriented Natural Language Processing: Mathematical Models and Algorithms Vol. 27. NY : Springer Verlag, 2010.|
|Fomichov V. A. Theory of K-representations as a Comprehensive Formal Framework for Developing a Multilingual Semantic Web // Informatica. 2010. Vol. 34. No. 3. P. 287-296.|
|Правиков А. А., Фомичев В. А. Разработка рекомендательной системы с естественно-языковым интерфейсом на основе математических моделей семантических объектов // Бизнес-информатика. 2010. № 4. С. 3-11.|
|Фомичева О. С. Гуманитарное образование: ответ на вызов времени / Отв. ред.: В. А. Фомичев. М. : Издательство МГУ, 2009.|
|Fomichov V. A. A comprehensive mathematical framework for bridging a gap between two approaches to creating a meaning-understanding Web. // International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics. 2008. Vol. 1. No. 1. P. 143-163.|
|Фомичев В. А. Математические основы представления содержания посланий компьютерных интеллектуальных агентов. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2007.|
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.