- to focus on the key economic problems of the low and middle-income countries, as well as to outline major issues of fostering economic growth
- learn the causes and consequences of poverty and inequality
- learn the models for economic growth and technological change
- learn the approaches to economic analysis of the policy changes in various countries
- learn the examples of policy interventions and the determinants of their success
- Week 1. Contemporary issues in development economics, poverty and inequalityPoverty and other key problems of the low and middle-income countries. Major tasks for the developed countries concerning various types of inequality. Statistical and econometric analysis of income distribution.
- Week 2. Growth through technological changeSolow and Romer models, and variant with technological change. Empirics of the Solow and Romer models. Neoclassical growth models, growth and technological change. Evaluation of economic performance and cross-country differences
- Week 3. Environment and sustainable developmentMarket failures, externalities and environmental policy. Macroeconomics of energy use: technology choices by energy firms and the long-term growth. Household energy consumption. Use of patent statistics for measuring technology gaps.
- Week 4. Human capital: health, labor and productivityMeasuring human capital and investing in human capital. Deprivation in access and utilization of healthcare and education. The empirical evidence and approaches to analyzing heterogeneity in household and individual choices.
- Week 5. Political economy of innovationProtection of intellectual property rights, innovation and growth. R&D tax credits, corporate inequality and firm growth. Innovation subsidies and their effectiveness. Competition and innovation in Russian industries.
- Week 6. Transformation of economic systemsThe phenomenon of the US Silicon valley. Reforms in the corporate governance and regulation in Japan. Changes in the planned economies: a Chinese example.
- Weeks 7,8. Presentations of the final essays
- Week 9. Final testSections: Major international databases on the development indicators and the macroeconomic indicators. HSE data on companies/households. Main casual approaches and applied techniques for econometric analysis: with an application to estimating inequality, measuring economic growth and conducting policy evaluation
- Final essay and its presentationLate work (mid-term essay and final essay) is discounted at 50%.
- Mid-term essayLate work (mid-term essay and final essay) is discounted at 50%.
- Class/sections participation
- Final test
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.2 * Class/sections participation + 0.4 * Final essay and its presentation + 0.3 * Final test + 0.1 * Mid-term essay
- Todaro, M. P. . (DE-588)120058022, (DE-576)163325057. (2006). Economic development / Michael P. Todaro; Stephen C. Smith. Harlow: Pearson Educational, Addison Wesley. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edswao&AN=edswao.120376784
- Besley, T. (2016). Contemporary Issues in Development Economics. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1231539
- Hayami, Y., Gōdo, Y., & Oxford University Press. (2005). Development Economics : From the Poverty to the Wealth of Nations (Vol. 3rd ed). Oxford: OUP Oxford. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=257819
- The dynamics of socio-economic development : an introduction. (2005). Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsnar&AN=edsnar.oai.pure.tue.nl.publications.fa6052af.f362.41a5.8741.82fa25dc3ef4
- Timothy Besley, Maitreesh Ghatak, To Madhav Aney, Oriana B, Oliver Denk, Avinash Dixit, … Ragnar Torvik. (2009). Chapter for Volume V of the Handbook of Development Economics edited by Dani. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.5EC7DD27
- Trott, P. (2017). Innovation Management and New Product Development (Vol. Sixth edition). Harlow, Enlgand: Pearson. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1419855