Статус: Курс по выбору (Прикладная социальная психология)
Направление: 37.04.01. Психология
Кто читает: Департамент психологии
Где читается: Факультет социальных наук
Когда читается: 1-й курс, 3, 4 модуль
Формат изучения: Full time
Преподаватели: Сауткина Елена Владимировна
Прогр. обучения: Прикладная социальная психология
The scope of Environmental Psychology as a discipline is to study the interplay between people and their natural and built surroundings. On the one hand, environmental psychology focuses on the role of physical environments in people’s lives, for example, the capacity of natural environments to restore people’s psychological resources. On the other hand, it examines the ways people shape their physical environments, e.g., psychology of urban design, or processes involved in pro-environmental action. Since the 1960s, the role of environmental psychology was both to conduct research, and to apply these findings in real life, e.g. in design, sustainability, health, education, and other areas. Today, environmental psychology plays a very important role in helping to shape people’s awareness and behaviour in order to transition towards a sustainable future, and to counteract, mitigate and adapt to the existing environmental threats. This course will introduce students to the key theories, concepts, methods and applications of environmental psychology so that they are able to conduct basic research and practice work in the area of people-environment studies. Students will be able to gain knowledge and experience in environmental psychology through interactive lectures and active learning seminars. Course topics will include: history and scope of environmental psychology; psychology of built environments; psychology of human-nature interactions; people in the face of environmental risks; psychology of pro-environmental action; and fundamentals of applied environmental psychology.
- This course is designed to provide an overview of the theory, methods, contemporary academic research and practical applications in the field of environmental psychology.
- This course aims to develop an appreciation of how psychology can contribute to shaping urban environments, preserve natural environments, and deal with the challenges of environmental and climate change.
- The course aims develop students' capacities to be able to conduct basic research, practice or policy work in the field of environmental psychology.
- Knows the key concepts, theories and methods in the field of environmental psychology.
- Able to analyse and build interventions behavior aiming to change environmental behaviour.
- Is able to conduct a basic evaluation of an environmental intervention.
- Is able to conduct case study analyses and evaluate the restorative potential of environments.
- Is able to critically analyse built environments drawing on environmental psychology methods, theories and evidence, and suggest evidence-based improvements.
- Knows key theories of people-nature relationship in the field of environmental psychology.
- Is able to clearly and successfuly disseminate environmental psychology research among non-academic audiences from different sectors.
- Knows the key determinants and models explaining pro-environmental behaviour.
- Knows the key principles of application of Environmental Psychology in design of urban and built spaces.
- Knows the key principles of successful collaboration of environmental psychologists with policy-makers and practitioners.
- Knows the key theories in Environmental Psychology regarding urban and built environments.
- Knows the key theories of environmental risk perception and human behaviour in face of environmental risks.
- Environmental Psychology: History, Key Theories and Methods
- Urban Environments: Overcoming Stressors with Opportunities
- People and Nature
- The Psychology of Pro-Environmental Action
- Environmental Risks
- Building links between Science, Policy and Practice in the Area of People-Environment Studies
- Individual Written Assignment (неблокирующий)Student will choose an environment (e.g. urban square, street, indoor environment, and will be asked to provide a description and an analysis of this space by using environmental psychology methods, theories and evidence.
- Group Assignment: Intervention Design (неблокирующий)Students work in groups (2 to 3 people) to design an evidence-based intervention to promote sustainable behaviours. They produce a Power Point presentation and a report.
- Final Quiz (неблокирующий)A 30-minute quiz based on lecture contents and reading material
- Attendance and activity (неблокирующий)Lecture and seminar attendance and active participation. Student cannot miss more than 2 lectures and 3 seminars.