Терроризм и борьба против терроризма: сравнение теории и практики
- Explains what exactly is terrorism, who and where its victims are;
- Explains where the key centres on studying terrorism are located;
- Explains where the key scholars who study terrorism are located;
- Explains real reasons for terrorism;
- Explains what kind of counterterrorism practices are existed;
- Explains the concepts of fear management and resilience;
- Explains how counter-terrorism measures are implemented practically;
- Explains who foreign fighters are and why they are going to war;
- Explains what extent foreign fighters pose a threat and which policy options are available to address this phenomenon;
- Welcome & the essence of terrorismIn this module, students can find all the information they need in order to be able to successfully complete the course. After they have familiarised themselves with the course, we move to the content of week 1. Students will learn about the definition of terrorism. What exactly is terrorism? Who and where are its victims? After completing this module, they will understand why it is so difficult to arrive at a generally accepted definition of this term.
- Researching Terrorism and CounterterrorismIn this module, students will learn more about terrorism and counterterrorism studies. It is a relatively new field of study that owes much to research in related disciplines. Students will get an overview of where the key centres and scholars are located. Also, they will understand the three main approaches that are used in this academic field and recognize their strengths and weaknesses.
- 5 Assumptions on TerrorismThe subject of terrorism often falls prey to unfounded assumptions. Media, politicians, but also scholars frequently make far-reaching claims about this topic, such as the notion that terrorism is caused by poverty. In this module, we will critically investigate some of these assumptions to see if they are indeed true, partly true, false or perhaps even a myth (a widely held belief that is nevertheless still false).
- 5 Assumptions on CounterterrorismIn this module, we will continue the work of module 3 and look into five assumptions on counterterrorism. It is highly relevant to keep investigating assumptions that underlie CT-policy, both from an effectiveness perspective (is it really countering terrorism?) but also because these policies often have a large impact on societies and might also have unintended consequences.
- Dealing with Terrorism and the FutureAfter having tested these assumptions, we will make up the balance sheet. What are some of the remaining “un- and underresearched” topics in (counter)terrorism studies? We will also explore the concepts of fear management and resilience. Finally, we will look into the future of terrorism: what can we expect in the years to come?
- Making Headlines Today - Foreign FightersThe final module of this course will look into a highly topical and politically sensitive issue of today: foreign fighters. Since the beginning of the civil war, high numbers of foreign fighters have joined the struggle, including many from Western countries. In this module, we will see who these people are and why they are going. Also, we will discuss to what extent these fighters pose a threat and which policy options are available to address this phenomenon.
- Midterm test
- Final testЭкзамен будет проходить в форме теста. Вопросы теста – открытые. На выполнение теста будет отводиться 6 часов: вопросы будут предоставлены зарегистрированным на курс студентам по электронной почте в день проведения экзамена в соответствии с расписанием, ответы на вопросы теста должны быть получены на указанный преподавателем при рассылке теста адрес электронной почты. Во время экзамена студентам запрещено плагиатить, разрешено цитировать работы исследователей, указывая ссылки. Кратковременным нарушением связи во время экзамена считается прерывание связи до 10 минут. Долговременным нарушением связи во время экзамена считается прерывание связи 10 минут и более. Процедура пересдачи аналогична процедуре сдачи.
- Barber, B. (2013). Jihad Vs. McWorld : Terrorism’s Challenge to Democracy (Vol. Unabridged). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=745350
- CORNISH, P. (2010). Technology, strategy and counterterrorism. International Affairs, 86(4), 875–888. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2346.2010.00917.x
- Hoffman, B., & Huffman, B. (2003). THE LOGIC OF SUICIDE TERRORISM. (cover story). Atlantic, 291(5), 40. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=f5h&AN=9730945