Американская политическая риторика
Статус: Курс по выбору (Журналистика)
Направление: 42.03.02. Журналистика
Кто читает: Школа лингвистики
Где читается: Факультет коммуникаций, медиа и дизайна
Когда читается: 4-й курс, 2 модуль
Формат изучения: Full time
Преподаватели: Бадрызлова Юлия Геннадьевна
The course is intended for students whose main interest is political journalism and political communications both in the historical and the current perspective. The course focuses on the leaders of political action in the USA during the 20th and 21st centuries. The rhetorical tools used by the political actors as well as their public images of are analyzed through the key concepts of political communication and the rhetoric theory. Specific tools and techniques are studied in detail. The course will be interesting for those who want to work in political journalism as well as for any student wishing to understand the nuances of the past and the current political process in the USA.
- to familiarize students with the key aspects and specific tools of developing a debate in English
- to expose students to the historical approach to modern presidential rhetoric in the broader academic context
- to acquaint students with the basics of political rhetoric within the framework of content analysis as well as discourse analysis and debates theory
- to demonstrate the interconnection between the history of a nation, its politics, and the rhetorical strategies of its leaders using case studies of American political rhetoric
- to introduce students to the basics of various rhetoric types and genres within political rhetoric
- to enhance students’ communication skills, the ability to reason and discuss, as well as to target various types of potential audience
- to enable students to develop their ability to debate and cooperate in such issues as conflict resolution, tolerance, and social adaptation
- "conquers" the audience, captures the audience's attention
- analyzes public speech in English
- applies rhetoric methods in practice
- conducts debates in English using argumentation theory
- expresses oneself clearly; uses all elements of public speech (content, emotion, and ethics)
- knows the goals, objectives, and functions of modern political rhetoric in the context of the latest linguistic theories, as well as the role of presidential rhetoric in forming national identity
- participates in group work, provides group management in decision-making, conducting debates, public speaking, targeting specific audiences
- writes essays on political topics in English
- Self-presentation; Introduction to the courseThe definition of rhetoric and its place within the Humanities. Genres of rhetoric. Stages of preparing a speech. The ancient rhetoric canon. The New rhetoric. Gricean maxims.
- Political rhetoricHistory of American political rhetoric. Founding of the American government. Philosophy of the American nation. American politics and Puritan religion. Manifest Destiny, American Dream, Founding Fathers and other symbolic expressions forming the national identity.
- Basic features of American political rhetoricDemocrats and Republicans. System of values in American politics. American school of debates. American rhetoric versus European rhetoric. Political linguistics as a science (A.P. Chudinov). Western and Russian schools in political linguistics. American school of political rhetoric. Presidential rhetoric.
- American presidential rhetoric: past and presentThe Founding Fathers: A. Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, M.L. King, J. F. Kennedy, R. Reagan, George H. W. Bush, B. Clinton, G. W. Bush, B. Obama.
- Political rhetoric and cognitive linguisticsArchetypes and metaphorical concepts in American political rhetoric. Tropes and figures of speech. Alliteration. Tricolon. Chiasmus. Anaphora, repetitions, allusions, rhetorical questions, periphrases.
- Political manipulation and propagandaRhetoric and NLP. Manipulative tricks in politics and advertising.
- Political rhetoric and intercultural communicationEthnorhetoric. Types of professional cultures according to R. Lewis. Role of national and ethnic aspects of rhetoric in international communication and diplomacy. Body language. Technique of speech.
- students’ work in class (неблокирующий)
- homework (неблокирующий)
- participation in debates (неблокирующий)
- final Power Point presentation (неблокирующий)Пересдается в течение недели после окончания пропуска по уважительной причине, но не позднее 10 дней до сессии, если преподавателем не указано иное
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.4 * final Power Point presentation + 0.2 * homework + 0.2 * participation in debates + 0.2 * students’ work in class
- Коротец, И. Д. Политическая риторика : учебник / И. Д. Коротец ; Южный федеральный университет. — Ростов-на-Дону ; Таганрог : Издательство Южного федерального университета, 2017. — 202 с. - ISBN 978-5-9275-2412-9. - Текст : электронный. - URL: https://new.znanium.com/catalog/product/1020575 - Текст : электронный. - URL: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/1021539
- Деловое общение : нормы, риторика, этикет: учеб. пособие для вузов, Колтунова М. В., ISBN: 5-940103-52-9, 2005