Статус: Факультатив (Программа двух дипломов НИУ ВШЭ и Университета Кёнхи «Экономика и политика в Азии»)
Направление: 41.03.01. Зарубежное регионоведение
Кто читает: Департамент иностранных языков
Где читается: Факультет мировой экономики и мировой политики
Когда читается: 1-й курс, 1-4 модуль
Формат изучения: Full time
The main goal of the course is to enable students to use English in their further academic studies on the ‘Economics and Politics in Asia’ BA HSE Double Degree Programme and develop their language and communication skills in English to the B2-B2+ level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. (CEFR) in multiple contexts, such as reading and listening comprehension, written and oral expression, communicative interaction. At the same time, the course is aimed at promoting autonomous learning, self-assessment, peer-correction and critical thinking. The course provides authentic and culturally enriching materials on a wide variety of topics for discussion.
- to master various language, social and exam skills
- to practice English in a semi-authentic environment
- to hone students’ critical thinking and critical reading skills
- to develop lifelong knowledge and skills which will enable students to apply their knowledge in professional, scientific and interpersonal communication in today’s globalised world.
- Develop the reading skills of skimming a text for the main idea, scanning it for specific information, interpreting the text for inferences, attitudes and styles, deducing meanings from the context, making a summary of the text.
- Develop the speaking skills of using general, social and professional language in discussions, debates, dialogs and presentations.
- Raise awareness in intercultural communication and develop the skills of critical thinking.
- Familiarize themselves with different online and offline resources for further acquisition of the language for in-class activities and independent learning.
- Develop the listening skills of understanding general and professional conversations, discussions, lectures and applying specific information from the input.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English at the B2 - B2+ level (CEFR).
- Enrich academic and subject-specific vocabulary and extend grammar range to be able to discuss a variety of topics related to economics, politics, business, international relations and Oriental studies.
- What makes a good communicator? Are good communicators born or made? Outstanding oratorsThe topic deals with what makes a good communicator. Students discuss when and who they communicate with and then focus on vocabulary to describe a good communicator.
- Learning to speak in public. How to give an effective presentation.The topic deals with ways of improving how you communicate in different situations. Students read and listen to speeches by three famous people and decide the topic, the function and various features of speeches before practicing one themselves.
- Gender differences in communication. Why do men and women communicate differently?The topic deals with the differences between men's and women's communication.
- Communication with peers: problems and solutions. Personal experience: successes and failures in communicationThe topic focuses on the language of outlining the problems and offering solutions.
- What is economics? Economics vs economyThe topic gives the definition of economics and the economy, focuses on major economic problems, factors of production and the main branches of economics.
- Economic systemsThe topic gives the general idea about the main features of three major economic systems: planned, market and mixed ones.
- A Short Guide to the Forces that influence the EconomyThe topic focuses on four major forces that affect any economic system, such as GDP, inflation, interest rates and taxation.
- Role and challenges of entrepreneursThe topic gives the information why entrepreneurs are considered the most valuable resource in any productive system, then it gives the overview of the major problems that enterprisers can face.
- What is small business?The topic tackles the issue of small business. It provides different approaches to defining the small business and outlines its benefits for economies.
- Sole Proprietorship. Limitations to the Size of ProprietorshipThe topic gives the definition of sole proprietorship, outlines its advantages and disadvantages and provides the information about the limitations to the size of proprietorship.
- PartnershipThe topic gives the definition of partnership, outlines different types of partners and their right and liability, and provides the information about the limitations to the size of a partnership.
- What is culture? Aspects of a national cultureThis topic focuses on what we mean by a culture. Students discuss the term culture and features of their own.
- Culture shock: stages, causes and ways to overcome it. Reverse culture shockThe topic focuses on culture shock. Students discuss their experiences of foreign cultures.
- Cultural diversity. Cultural awareness. Ways to avoid cultural mistakesThe lesson looks at differences and how they lead to misunderstanding. Students listen to people talking about mistakes they made abroad. Next, they read two texts about cultural awareness and study their (in)formality and then have a debate about cultural awareness.
- Typical features of Korean / Chinese / Japanese cultures. National stereotypesThe lesson looks at differences and how they lead to misunderstanding.
- Business culture in Korea / China / JapanThe topic deals with differences and how they lead to misunderstanding.
- Corporation. Organization of Corporation. Becoming a ShareholderThe topic gives the notion of a corporation, its classification and all the major legal peculiarities of this type of business. Then it focuses on the issues of organization of a corporation and on the rights, obligations and advantages that shareholders have.
- Capital. Corporate FinanceThe topic deals with two major sources of raising funds, which are share capital (equity finance) and loan capital (debt finance) and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Types of Securities.The topic gives details about common stocks, preferred stocks and bonds and about the distinctive features of each of them.
- Stocks Basics: IntroductionThe topic provides the necessary information that should be considered before buying securities, such as levels of ownership rights, risks and rewards, corporate governance, etc.
- Investment BanksThe topic deals with the notion, functions and the peculiarities of investment banks.
- Securities RegulationThe topic gives the general information about the securities regulation in the USA: different laws and the role of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Stock MarketThe topic deals with two major branches of the stock market: over-the-counter market and the organized stock exchanges. It gives the overview of their functions and then provides the information about indexes.
- Globalisation: causes and effects. Is globalisation a force for good or bad? The impact of globalisation on developed and developing countriesThis lesson looks at different opinion on globalisation. Students define the term and discuss which causes or results of globalisation are important for them.
- Technological advances in communication. The Internet: pros and consThe lesson looks at how the Internet is affecting our lives. Students discuss various topics related to this.
- Social networking: benefits and downsides. Causes and effects of social networkingThe lesson looks at how the Internet is affecting our lives. Students discuss various topics related to this.
- Global role models. Celebrities as international role models: their role in crossing cultural boundariesThis lesson looks at whether global role models are a good or bad phenomenon. Students read about the influence of global role models and discuss their opinion of this phenomenon.
- Social issues. Unemployment as a matter of growing public concern. Ways to overcome the problemThe topic deals with social and community issues. Students discuss the problems and offer the solutions.
- Social issues. Crime and punishment. Juvenile delinquencyThe topic deals with social and community issues, law, crime and punishment. Students discuss the problems and offer the solutions.
- Social issues. Invasion of privacy. Forms of surveillanceThe topic deals with social and community issues. Students discuss the problems and offer the solutions.
- Social issues. Environmental impact of globalisation. Dealing with environmental problemsThe topic deals with social and community issues. Students discuss the problems and offer the solutions.
- Social issues. Urban sprawl. Transport problems in big cities. Causes of traffic accidents. Ways to improve road safetyThe topic deals with social and community issues. It looks at transport and road safety. Students discuss transport they use and then brainstorm different kinds of transport.
- Company organisation. Board of directors: role, structure, executive vs non-executive directorsThis topic outlines the functions of one of the most valuable organs of a corporation: the board of directors. It also gives the difference between executive and non-executive directors and their role in the management of the company.
- Annual shareholders’ meeting: role, structure, types of votingThe topic describes the operation of the most important organ in a corporation - the annual shareholders’ meeting. It also gives the general information about the process of voting that is held at the meetings.
- Levels of management in a corporationThe topic outlines the roles of three levels of management in a company: top, middle and first-line.
- Areas of management: marketing, human resource, operations. Kinds of managers: administrative, public relations managers, research and development managersThe topic gives the general description of different departments in a company. It outlines their roles, importance and duties.
- Information-oriented society and the modern lifestyleThis topic deals with technology used in everyday life. Students listen to people saying what they like/dislike about gadgets.
- The major changes our world has undergone in recent yearsThis topic deals with technology and science, artificial intelligence, advances and inventions.
- Advantages and drawbacks of modern technological advancesThe lesson focuses on pros and cons of technological progress such as communication technology.
- Technological downsides: space debris, nuclear power, GM food, etc.The topic focuses on effects of technology on how food is produced, on the disadvantages of space exploration and the danger of nuclear power.
- Possible applications of artificial intelligence systemsThe topic gives the definition of artificial intelligence, what is involved in this concept, and gives the information about the well-known scientists related to this issue and their views on how IE can be implied.
- E-books vs. conventional printed books: pros and consThis lesson provides the list of advantages and disadvantages of e-books and conventional printed books. Students make a comparison discussing on the best information source.
- Management. The Big Three Management Styles. Work and MotivationThe topic tackles the issue of the qualities necessary to be a successful manager, outlines the functions of managers in a company and highlights the main approaches to the problem of motivation of the staff.
- Number of CorporationsThe topic states the important role of corporations in the US economy despite its small number.
- Size of Firm vs Side of PlantThe topic highlights the importance of the efficient operation of large manufacturing of different kinds in a corporation.
- Other Reasons for Lange FirmsThe topic outlines the reasons why business can develop into a large-scale enterprise, such as: exploiting reputation and advertising opportunities, and raising funds for expansion.
- Written tasks (неблокирующий)
- Mid-term Exam (неблокирующий)
- Oral tasks (неблокирующий)
- Revision tasks (неблокирующий)
- Final Exam (неблокирующий)
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.4 * Mid-term Exam + 0.2 * Oral tasks + 0.2 * Revision tasks + 0.2 * Written tasks
- Промежуточная аттестация (4 модуль)0.4 * Final Exam + 0.2 * Oral tasks + 0.2 * Revision tasks + 0.2 * Written tasks
- Cotton, D., Falvey, D., & Kent, S. (2015). Market leader. Slovenia, Europe: Longman. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.170CFF64
- Якушева И. В., Демченкова О. А.-АНГЛИЙСКИЙ ЯЗЫК (B1). INTRODUCTION INTO PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH 3-е изд., испр. и доп. Учебник и практикум для академического бакалавриата-М.:Издательство Юрайт,2019-148-Бакалавр. Академический курс-978-5-534-07026-2: -Текст электронный // ЭБС Юрайт - https://biblio-online.ru/book/delovoy-angliyskiy-yazyk-introduction-into-professional-english-433852
- Mascull, B. (2015). Market leader. Slovenia, Europe: Longman. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.600BCFF2
- Murphy, R. (2012). Grammar in use : self-study reference and practice for students of English. Slovenia, Europe: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.6980C66C