- The course is aimed at preparing students for the IELTS exam. It will enable students to develop their academic reading, listening, speaking, writing as well as test-taking strategies.
- predict language; scan information; take notes and complete tables
- identify the main idea; match headings; write problem and solution essays
- develop topic-specific vocabulary; expand your ideas using conjunctions and phrases; develop arguments
- use academic verbs; written and spoken vocabulary; process verbs; describing a process
- represent data clearly and accurately; identify inaccuracies in writing; develop topic-specific vocabulary; speak more accurately
- use academic verbs for thoughts and beliefs; use an impersonal style in writing and speaking; collocations for thoughts and beliefs; language for generalizing; writing an opinion essay
- use structures to compare and contrast; contrast opinions (task 2: opinion essay); linking words
- develop topic-specific vocabulary; use speculation in your answers; write about hypothetical alternatives; develop a coherent argument (task 2)
- Lifelong learningIntelligence. The nature versus nurture debate. The neuroscience of learning. Time-management. Job satisfaction. The world of work. Multitasking. Line graph description. Bar chart description. Agree/disagree essays.
- The feel-good factorHealthy lifestyle. Antibiotics. Inoculation. Evidence-based versus Alternative medicine. The Placebo effect. Cause and effect/ problem and solution essays. Pie chart description. Mixed graph description.
- Art and the artist.Art and well-being. Art as a school subject. Art forms. Art and technology. Modern and ancient architecture. Discussion essay. Agree/ disagree essay. The Cultural Preservation Versus Diversity Debate.
- A world of change.Social problems facing humanity. Urbanization. Haves and have-nots. Consumer society. Transport. Immigration. Infrastructures. Bar charts. The wealth redistribution Versus Self-reliance Debate
- Our relationship with nature.The animal world. Recycling. Environmental protection. Renewable and non-renewable energy sources. Alternative energy. Natural processes and cycle description. The Environment Versus Economy Debate.
- IT society.Surveillance technology. Artificial Intelligence. Research and development. IT crime. Education and technology. Advantages and disadvantages essay. Bar charts. The Security Versus Freedom Debate.
- Law and order.The criminal brain. Crime scene investigation. Risk-taking and risk-averse society. Advantages and disadvantages essay. The death penalty debate.
- Space exploration.Across the Universe. The future of scientific progress.
- Cumulative Grade “written grade”
- Cumulative Grade “oral grade”
- Mid-term test
- Final test
- Промежуточная аттестация (3 модуль)0.1 * Cumulative Grade “oral grade” + 0.2 * Cumulative Grade “written grade” + 0.4 * Final test + 0.3 * Mid-term test
- Crews-Anderson, T. A. (2007). Critical Thinking and Informal Logic. Tirril, Penrith: Humanities-Ebooks. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=373337
- Bailey, S. (2015). Academic Writing : A Handbook for International Students (Vol. Fourth edition). Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=862062