Эффективная профессиональная коммуникация (английский язык)
Где читается: Факультет гуманитарных наук (Нижний Новгород)
Когда читается: 1, 2 модуль
The course is designed to help the students to form their awareness in methods of effective communication and develop professional communicative skills. Students master their competencies, which will allow them to be successful in their interpersonal and professional communication. The course encompasses a theoretical and a practical part. It is based on the knowledge of English (grammar, logical structure and syntax), speech styles and sublanguages, as well as fundamental differences between the English and the Russian languages.
- The aim of the course is to help the students to form their awareness in methods of effective communication and develop professional communicative skills.
- The student knows major theories in the field of communication studies and the main types and goals of professional communication
- The student knows verbal and non-verbal means of influence; he is able to choose the tactics and strategy of communication in accordance with the objectives; to combine verbal and non-verbal means of communication
- The student knows the main types and goals of professional communication; mechanisms of interaction and impact; he is able to apply their knowledge of communicative strategies in professional communication; to resolve cases in professional communication sphere
- The student knows a variety of ways of argumentation; he is able to choose the tactics and strategy of communication in accordance with the objectives
- The student knows the main types and goals of professional communication; mechanisms of interaction and impact; he is able to combine verbal and non-verbal means of communication; to manage effective interaction within a team
- The student knows typical scenarios of professional communication; he is able to resolve cases in professional communication sphere ; to manage effective interaction and work in a foreign business context
- The student knows the basic issues of effective interaction in business/ professional contexts; he is able to choose the tactics and strategy of communication in accordance with the objectives; combine verbal and non-verbal means of communication
- The theory of CommunicationTypes of communication: verbal, non-verbal; interpersonal, intercultural. The main characteristics and goals of business communication. Professional communication: politics, management, economics, business, finance, law. Models of communication.
- Speech interaction and speech exposureCommunicative strategy, communicative tactics. Conditions of their choice. Linguistic and paralinguistic mechanisms of influence. The rules of communicative interaction. Communicative failure.
- Rhetorical aspects of professional communicationRhetoric as a theory and practice of speech influence. The doctrine of the rhetorical construction of speech: inventio, dispositio, elocutio, memoria, pronuntiatio. Figures of speech and figures of thought. Tricks in dispute. Psychological tricks. Logical tricks: taking the conversation aside, transfer the dispute to the contradictions between a word and a deed. Rhetoric in relation to a variety of social practices: management, jurisprudence.
- Argumentation theoryThe argument as a condition of successful communication in various types of social activities: management, jurisprudence, political debate, everyday communication. The system and methods of argumentation: authorities, reasoning, precedent cases, illustrative examples, rhetorical figures. Models of reasoning communication.
- Intra-group communicationThe main types of groups: informal - formal. Characteristics of the group: 1) by goals, objectives, interests; 2) according to the system of values and norms of behavior; 3) according to the distribution of roles and models of communicative behavior in typical situations. Typical scenarios within one type of social activity. Frame Theory. Verbal and non-verbal means of intragroup communication. Verbal means: vocabulary, grammar, style, prosody. Non-verbal means: body language, paralinguistic means, clothing and jewelry, gestures, facial expressions, body position, proxemics.
- Discourse types of communicationThe concept of discourse. Communicative discourses. Juridical discourse. Commercial discourse. Political discourse. Ritual discourse. Etiquette discourse. Mythological discourse. Totalitarian discourse. Basic discursive practices.
- The art of presentationSelf-presentation and presentation as forms of communicative impact on the audience. Self-presentation strategies. Types of presentations: commercial, social, scientific, managerial. Verbal and non-verbal communication channel in a presentation. Characteristics of an effective speaker.
- Essay (неблокирующий)
- Team project (presentation) (неблокирующий)
- The final test (неблокирующий)
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.2 * Essay + 0.3 * Team project (presentation) + 0.5 * The final test
- Schilb, J. (2007). Rhetorical Refusals : Defying Audiences’ Expectations. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=234985
- Charteris-Black, J. (2014). Analysing Political Speeches : Rhetoric, Discourse and Metaphor. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1453945
- Worthington, I. (1994). Persuasion: Greek Rhetoric in Action. London: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=80147