Русское искусство второй половины XIX – начала XX вв.
- To introduce students to the main problems of the course, to its notions, concepts and terminology, and to the existing literature
- To enable students to master methods of art historical analysis and to be able to apply this analysis at theoretical, ideological, institutional, and research levels
- To engender in students an understanding of the complex developments of Russian art of the late nineteenth to early twentieth centuries
- To introduce students to the English language terminology relevant to the course
- This course will prepare students to write proposals for their diploma topics, as required of them, in English
- Gain a general knowledge of the English language historiography of Russian art history
- Know the main theoretical and ideological approaches of Anglophone art historians
- Be able to identify, analyse, and categorise the approaches of Anglophone historians of Russian art and compare them to the approaches of certain Russophone scholars
- Gain experience discussing, analysing, and debating the problems of the Anglophone historiography of Russian art history, while using the appropriate English language terminology
- Topic 1: Arts of the 60s and the Association of Travelling Exhibitions (Peredvizhniki)The rise of Russian Realism in the age of reforms under Alexander II. Vasily Perov’s critical genre painting, the Revolt of the 14 at the Academy of Arts, and the formation of the Peredvizhniki. Analysis of the Peredvizhniki’s initial aims and their subsequent interpretation by critic Vladimir Stasov and scholars from the Soviet period onwards. Discussion of the diverse range of art produced by the Association, including genre painting, landscape, history and religious painting, and portraiture. The significance of collector Pavel Tretyakov.
- Topic 2: Russian ImpressionismIntroduction to Valentin Serov and discussion of his innovations in art. Analysis of the problem of the category of ‘Russian Impressionism’. The impact of the pedagogy of the Peredvizhniki on the Moscow Impressionists. The role of light in landscape painting and interior scenes in their work and their activities as part of the Union of Russian Artists (Союз русских художников)
- Topic 3: The Arts and Crafts and AbramtsevoThe arts and crafts movement and artists’ experiments in new media, including the decorative arts and theatre design. The impact of Savva and Elizaveta Mamontov on the arts and the revival of interest in Russian national culture and folk art. Analysis of the neo-Russian style and the work of Elena Polenova, Viktor Vasnetsov, and Mikhail Vrubel
- Topic 4: Women ArtistsIntroduction to women artists in Russia. Artistic training available to women across the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Comparison of the status of women artists in Russia and the West. Introduction to the prominence of women in Russian modernism.
- Topic 5: Russian Modernism and the World of ArtIntroduction to modernism in Russian through the World of Art group’s activities at the fin de siècle (Silver Age). Analysis of eclecticism in the arts (journal and book illustration) and internationalism through exhibitions organised by Sergei Diaghilev in Russia and Europe. Retrospectivism of Alexander Benois and Konstantin Somov. The reception of Russian culture in the West, especially the Ballets Russes.
- Topic 6: The Avant-GardeThe impact of Sergei Shchukin and Ivan Morozov’s collections of European modernist painting. Discussion of the radical activities of the avant-garde (Jack of Diamonds, Donkey’s Tail). Analysis of the abstract paintings of Vasily Kandinsky, Mikhail Larionov, Natalia Goncharova, and Kazimir Malevich through their writings and the installation art of Vladimir Tatlin. The importance of the 0.10 Exhibition of 1915.
- test/ formal analysis paperVisual analysis of an artwork from the State Tretyakov Gallery (or another museum selected with instructor’s approval). 500 words maximum
- Final essay
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.5 * Final essay + 0.125 * Participation + 0.375 * test/ formal analysis paper
- История русского искусства конца XIX - начала XX века, Сарабьянов, Д. В., 2001
- История русского искусства. Т.1: Русское искусство X-XVII веков, Алленов, М., Лифшиц, Л., 2007
- История русского искусства. Т.2: Русское искусство XVIII - начала XX века, Алленов, М., Лифшиц, Л., 2008
- История искусств. Отечественное искусство : учебник для вузов, Ильина, Т. В., 2003