Язык и общество
- to develop a critical understanding of how linguistic diversity can be managed in various social settings, including multiethnic workplace, media, court, the education of linguistic minority and urban space.
- understand the central theories and methods in sociolinguistics
- be able to explain the role of the language in social structures
- use the most important terms and concepts of language planning and sociolinguistics to analyze language environment and explain their decision about policies at school, at home, at work, city street
- Methods of sociology of language
- Social and language variables
- Language and Poverty
- Language and age
- Language and Mobility
- Multilingualism and urban space
- Multilingual society in Russia
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.25 * Empirical Study Essay + 0.25 * Homework Projects + 0.25 * Presentation + 0.25 * Seminar Participation
- Smakman, D., & Heinrich, P. (2018). Urban Sociolinguistics : The City As a Linguistic Process and Experience (Vol. First edition). Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=nlebk&AN=1585404
- Van Herk, G. (2017). What Is Sociolinguistics? Vol. Second edition. Wiley-Blackwell.