Английский язык для общих коммуникативных целей. Базовый курс - 2
- This course will help students improve their command of English for interpersonal and intercultural communication and develop their listening, reading, writing and speaking skills consistent with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), B1 level (HSE Scale 40-49). Students will practice different listening and reading strategies and will be equipped with the tools to properly compose written and oral texts common to communication for general purposes.
- To develop skills of using basic listening techniques (predicting, understanding main ideas and details)
- To develop skills of using basic reading techniques skimming and scanning (predicting, understanding main ideas, understanding details)
- To develop understanding of articles, reports, straightforward and specialised texts concerned with contemporary problems at the threshold/vantage/effective operational proficiency level
- To develop understanding of lectures and learning context
- To develop writing skills (email / summary / essay)
- To form skills of note-taking
- To form understanding of text structure
- To improve understanding of dialogues and polylogues on both familiar and unfamiliar topics
- To participate in dialogues on general, academic and professional topics. (active listening, questioning, responding to questions, emphasizing, discussion strategies)
- To produce monologues (informative/descriptive/argumentative/persuasive speech)
- To produce presentations (informative/descriptive/argumentative/persuasive speech)
- EducationEducation and learning. Different teaching methods. Higher Education. Distance learning. The role of a teacher and a learner. Single-sex vs. mixed-sex schools. The main tendencies and problems of modern education. Grammar: Defining and non-defining relative clauses Vocabulary: Education and studying.
- DesignWhat is design? Unusual design. History of design. Innovations. Grammar: Modals of necessity and obligation, modals of present deduction. Vocabulary: Word building, design adjectives, materials, shapes and textures, abstract nouns.
- BusinessHow to set up your own company. Ethical dilemmas in business. Business icons. Grammar: Past Continuous and Past Perfect Simple. Vocabulary: Business terms and roles, collocations.
- EngineeringTypes of engineering. Engineering achievements. Women in engineering. Global threats. Superstructures. Grammar: The Passive, Articles. Vocabulary: Collocations, hazards and global threats.
- TrendsTrends in everyday life. Fashion. Trends in art and music. Grammar: Expressions of quantity, verb patterns. Vocabulary: Phrasal verbs, fashion.
- Arts and mediaWhat is art? Works of art. Celebrities. Favourite books, films, and computer games. Types of mass media. Work of a journalist. Grammar: Reported speech, reported questions. Vocabulary: Describing books and films, media genres, words connected with the art.
- CrimeTypes of crime. Criminal masterminds. Causes of crime. Famous crimes. Grammar: Third conditional, modals of past deduction. Vocabulary: Crime, collocations.
- Written assessmentWritten assessment includes: • 1 reading test, • 1 listening test, • 3-7 vocabulary and grammar tests • 2 written works (a paragraph and an essay).
- Oral assessmentOral assessment includes a monologue on a given topic, a discussion and a presentation. The elements of oral assessment cannot be retaken
- Independent work assessmentIndependent work includes activities that students do at home, activities that students do in the classroom and online work. The elements of independent work cannot be retaken.
- Final assessmentThe final test is held in class within 10 days before the exam period. The final test includes one reading test, one listening test and one written work (an essay). The test tasks can be of different types.
- Interim assessment (4 module)0.3 * Final assessment + 0.25 * Independent work assessment + 0.2 * Oral assessment + 0.25 * Written assessment
- New language leader: intermediate : coursebook, Cotton, D., Falvey, D., 2015
- Berry, R. (2018). English Grammar : A Resource Book for Students (Vol. 2nd edition). [Place of publication not identified]: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1753147
- Качалова, К.Н. Практическая грамматика английского языка с упражнениями и ключами : учебник / К. Н. Качалова, Е. Е. Израилевич. — Санкт-Петербург : КАРО, 2018. - 608 с. - ISBN 978-5-9925-0716-4. - Режим доступа: https://new.znanium.com/catalog/product/1047576