About the programme
Economics and Politics in Asia is Russia's only English-taught double degree bachelor’s programme in International Studies with a partner university from East Asia that trains specialists in the field of economics, business, politics, and international relations in Asian countries.
The programme is based on the best traditions of International Studies/Public Policy and Social Sciences in Russia and abroad, combining fundamental university education and a practice-oriented approach. Starting the second year, in addition to their major students choose one of the two additional specializations: Global Business or International Relations.
During the third year of education, all students study abroad at Kyung Hee University and in the countries of East Asia (China, Korea, Japan) or Southeast Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam), depending on their chosen language specialization. Graduates receive two diplomas: from HSE University and Kyung Hee University.
Graduates of the programme will be awarded:
- A Bachelor’s degree in International Studies/Public Policy and Social Sciences from HSE University;
- A Bachelor’s degree in International Studies (Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Southeast Asian Studies) from Kyung Hee University;
- Diploma supplement in one of the two additional specializations: Global Business or International Relations
This will allow the graduates to enroll in master's degree programmes and/or enable them to build careers relating to countries in Asia across a wide range of specializations.
You can read more about the programme here.
What is taught here
The programme trains specialists with in-depth knowledge of economics, business, domestic and foreign policy specifics of Asian countries, fluent in at least two foreign languages (English and Asian language of their specialization). Graduates will acquire first-hand knowledge of the business communication and ethics principles of these countries. They will be prepared to pursue careers in Russian and foreign companies and banks, in public service, mass media, etc.
Students are free to choose and pursue one of the two additional specializations created to offer them practical insights with a focus on East Asian countries: Global Business or International Relations.
The programme offers the following courses:
- Introduction to Political Science
- International Trade
- International Finance
- Introduction to Economics
- Mathematics for Economics and Business
- International Relations in the East / South-East Asia countries
- State and Society in East Asia / State and Society in Southeast Asia
- International Negotiation
- Principles of Marketing
- Global Data Analysis for Economics and Business
- International Security
- East / Southeast Asian Economic Development
You can read more about the curriculum here.
- The qualifications of graduates recognized by the two leading universities in Russia and Asia provide them with competitive advantages in the Russian and foreign labour markets.
- Diploma supplement for one of the specializations – Global Business or International Relations – expands the field of graduates’ employment.
- Education in the English language and foreign internships for all students of the programme open up opportunities for free communication in the international academic community.
- Leading Russian and foreign professors with qualifications meeting Russian and international recruitment criteria.
- A balanced curriculum with fundamental and applied courses developed by HSE University and Kyung Hee University.
- The most intensive Asian language course in Russia with about 18-22 academic hours of language training per week.
- Applicants and students have a free choice of their majors and additional specializations.
- Universities’ extracurricular activities: optional subjects, TA sessions, honorary lectures and workshops, student science club, summer schools, internships in companies, visits to embassies, and much more.
- The opportunity to additionally study Korean as a second Asian language for free as part of the educational project developed jointly by the teachers of our program and the Institute of International Education in Kyung Hee University with the King Sejong Institute financial support.
During your studies
After admission, students are enrolled at both HSE University and Kyung Hee University. During the first and second years, students take introductory, core, and elective courses that offer them a comprehensive knowledge of East Asia or Southeast Asia.
During the third year, students from an individual educational trajectory at the partner universities of the programme, as well as at the College of International Studies of Kyung Hee University. Fourth-year students hone their practical skills during compulsory internships at Russian and foreign organizations in Moscow.
Throughout the entire duration of the programme, students complete intensive language courses and create multiple research papers and theses with the help of guaranteed access to both universities’ libraries and the Kyung Hee Cyber University media library.
What you can do after graduation
- Studies in master's degree programmes. The high level of training provided and diplomas from prestigious universities in Russia and Korea will enable graduates to enroll in MA programs in leading Russian and international universities and provide a favorable career start. If a graduate wishes to continue with international studies at HSE University, they can apply to a double degree MA Programme in Economics, Politics, and Business in Asia.
- Business. Graduates can build their careers in business, including positions at domestic and global enterprises, or start their own business.
- Public service. Bachelor's degree in International Studies s allows graduates to start careers in the public sector in governmental, semi-governmental, non-governmental, and international organizations. However, it should be noted that in civil service, a Master's degree is required to be qualified for managerial positions (head of the department and higher).
- Analytics and consulting. Experts in Asian countries are in high demand in Russian and foreign consulting firms and research agencies.
- Mass media. Skills in political analysis, understanding of international processes, and knowledge of several languages can become the foundation for careers in major mass media companies.
How to apply
International applicants must successfully pass the HSE internal remotely-administered entry exams in History and English language.
Russian applicants enter our programme based on their results of the Unified State Exam or the results of the Olympiads. Read the detailed information about admissions for Russian citizens to find out more about exams and olympiads.