English: Extended Essay Writing and Making Presentations
- to produce an extended piece of writing in their own subject area within the academic conventions of higher education in the West;
- to be able to make professional presentations in accordance with general requirements to academic presentations;
- to possess discursive skills – to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- to have critical thinking skills;
- to acquire learner autonomy
- Can analyse titles for essays, find focus and problem of the essay
- Can write Introduction to the essay in accordance with the required format
- Can develop a paragraph of the Main part in the required format
- Can summarise information in a given text, write abstracts both for an article and as part of Speaker proposal
- Can write Conclusion as part of an extended essay according to the required format; write definitions and exemplify
- Can compile Bibliography in accordance with APA style
- Can structure a presentation, possess necessary presentation skills
- Possess necessary vocabulary (making suggestions, interrupting, questioning, giving opinions, using visual aids)
- Enlarge their vocabulary in reference to introducing a presentation, can make a mini-presentation
- Extended writing developmentEssay title analysis Essay structure: Introduction Essay structure: Main part Summarising. Writing abstracts. Avoiding plagiarism. Essay structure: Conclusion. Definitions. Exemplification. Bibliography. Elements of writing: punctuation
- Discursive skills developmentTheme “Work”. “Food”. Mini-presentations. “Health”. Mini-presentations. “Environment”. Mini-presentations. “Language and culture”. Mini-presentations. “Globalisation”. Mini-presentations.
- Extended EssayIt is an achievement/attainment test to show mastery of the syllabus and students’ ability to write an extended essay and to use resources in their work.
- Final presentationIt is a proficiency test designed to measure students’ competence in the form of a final presentation at the end of the academic year.