Foreign language instruction is delivered by the Department of Foreign Languages headed by Distinguished Professor Irina V. Yukusheva, who has been charing the department for over 15 years now, also serving on the programme academic board. The team unites professors with international experience using cutting edge methods of foreign language teaching aligned with major international frameworks like CEFR and ACTFL. Special English language instruction is provided in regards to IELTS preparation (a UoL entrance requirement of 6.0 overall score) and Business English during the first year of the program.
Along with English, parallel degree students have a choice of a foreign language:
- Russian also taught by the HSE faculty with years of experience and international expertise. Vigorous class schedule allows to master a foreign language from the beginner level to advanced placing emphasis on presentational, interpretive and interpersonal modes, incorporating intercultural approach as well. For those who have already studied a foreign language, there is also a possibility to attend electives. There are 6-9 students in each group.
Learning a foreign language at the Double degree programme includes several crucial aspects:
- General. This section delivers to students a huge supply of daily vocabulary, which is considered to be the key to learning new language. Also our professors in an accessible manner present the grammatical features of each of the languages.
- Country studies. Any international relations specialist resorts to the use of literature in various foreign languages. This aspect allows students to obtain the amount of political and economic vocabulary necessary for reading of scientific and journalistic texts.
- Mass media. Working with news sources is also an integral part of conducting an academic study. Owning the most relevant modern vocabulary will allow students not only to conduct a qualitative analysis of the media, but to create news themselves in the future.
- Business negotiations and correspondence. The skills of conducting business negotiations and correspondence are highly appreciated in the business environment. This course introduces future professionals with various subtleties and etiquette of the business style of communication.