How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Bachelor’s Parallel Degree Programme in International Relations .
This programme is taught entirely in English and consists of four years of study at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia.
The cost of study in 2018/2019 is 620 000 RUR *. Scholarships are not available to students in this program. International students can live in HSE’s affordable dormitories for the duration of their studies. Discounts up to 75% of tuition fee are provided on the basis of academic merit.
The application process for international students (who have not taken the Russian Unified State Exam (EGE)) consists of two stages:
1. Preparatory stage (remote)
1) The first step of the application process is to fill out the online form on the International admissions website
This form requires scans of your educational documents and a motivational letter (300-500 words). If English is not your native language, please upload an IELTS or TOEFL certificate demonstrating your level of proficiency. If you do not have a certificate from either of these exams, you can choose to take an English proficiency exam administered by HSE.
2) The programme academic coordinator will get in touch with you via email and arrange a Skype interview. You will then have a Skype interview with the programme’s admissions committee. Following the interview, you will receive either preliminary acceptance to the program or a rejection letter.
3) If your application is successful and you receive preliminary acceptance, you must confirm your intent to continue the application process by July 1st.
2. Examination stage (2 options)
Option 1. Take international exams at home
We will accept the results of the following international exams to be taken in any place of the world:
Advanced Placement Test in World History
A-Level Exam: History
International Baccalaureate: any exam in History from the listed below:
- History, standard level
- History, higher level
- (IELTS) International English Language Testing System
- (TOEFL) iBT Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English
- International General Certificate of Education (IGCSE): English as a Second Language
Option 2. Take exams in Moscow
This option requires you to travel to Moscow in Summer.
The applicant must take two exams:
- History (you need to score at least 60 out of 100);
- Foreign language (75 out of 100).
Applicants can choose whether they prefer to take the exams in English or Russian. Examination programmes can be found here: https://www.hse.ru/en/ba/ir/track
The applicant may stay at HSE’s dormitories during the exam period (the approximate cost is 100 rubles per day).
Examination results will be published on the HSE and study programme websites in July.
Submission of documents
Document originals must be submitted to the HSE Admissions Committee in Moscow in person or sent via post by a registered and recorded letter with a list of enclosures. If you do send your materials by post, please email the programme coordinator to let him know that you have done so.
All applicants must submit:
- Legalized ** education or education and qualification document, if the specified education level is recognized by the Russian Federation or HSE as the relevant level of education;
- Documents confirming the applicant’s individual achievements, the results of which are taken into account in the application process (submitted at the discretion of the applicant);
- Other documents (submitted at the discretion of the applicant);
- 2 photos (size 3x4 cm )
* - the cost of study for the following years can be slightly changed in accordance with inflation rates, significant shifts in currency exchange rates or University of London financial policy.
(the following part is taken from Instructions for successful regular enrolment students)
** - For a document to be “legalized,” it must be either apostilled or consular legalized, depending on the issuing country. Please see below for more details: