Situational English 2
Situational English II (Two) – A Short Outline of the Course
1.Organizational and methodological issues
The aim of the course
The course Situational English II (Two) offered to undergraduate students of the Mathematics Department is aimed, first of all, at developing communicative skills and acquiring the relevant vocabulary in/of everyday situations, such as Asking the Way, Booking Airline Tickets, Ordering Meals in a Restaurant, etc.
Objectives of the course
Upon successful completion of the course, the students will be able to communicate in certain everyday situations.
They will know the main words and collocations necessary for everyday transactions and communication, as well as the polite forms of addressing people, and the like.
They will learn how to and be able to use in practicecertain structures, expressions and phrases used by the English native speakers in the situations chosen for and studied in this course.
Methodological approaches used in the course
There are two main principles underlying the course: first, the communicative approach to teaching English as a foreign language; second, the integrated-skills approach.
Classroom activities will involve students’ practising dialogues, participating in role-plays, discussing the situations, analysing the lexis and grammar structures, and the like.
Home assignments will be mostly devoted to practising and memorizing the expressions and phrases of the given situations, watching videos, reading topic related texts.
It is worth noting that the course is intended mainly, but not only, for Russian speaking students of mathematics studying the English language.
The students should have mastered the Intermediate level of English (B1 by the CEFR).
Luchkina, Tatyana V.,senior lecturer
Faculty of the English language for economics and mathematics
Department of the Foreign Languages
5. Examination type
At the end of the course students are to take an exam:
Speaking format – Dialogues.
Books and Materials:
· Hargreaves, Roger; Fletcher, Mark (1979, 1994). The New Making Polite Noises(with audio cassette). Hythe (UK), Hythe Printers Ltd.;
· Jones, Leo (1991). Communicative Grammar Practice:Activities For Intermediate Students of English: Student's Book (with audio cassette). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press;
· Jones, Leo (1996). Let's Talk:Speaking and Listening Activities for Intermediate Students: Student's Book (with audio cassette). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press;
· Ockenden, Michael (1986). Situational Dialogues(with audio cassette);Revised edition. London: Longman;
· Walter, Elizabeth; Woodford, Kate (2011). Collins Easy Learning: English Conversation.Book 2(with audio CD).Glasgow: Harper Collins Publishers.
Video and audio Internet resources: