Formal Models in Linguistics
- to introduce students to the methodology of formal grammar and semantics and to the major questions that these frameworks seek to answer
- to discuss linguistic phenomena that played a crucial role for these frameworks
- to teach students how to use up-to-date conceptual apparatus, methods and argumentation in these domains
- understands the complexity of formal syntactic model
- understands the diversity of formal semantic model
- understands the argumentation the formal syntactic models rely on
- is able to analyze sentence structure using different formal methods
- The basics of generative grammar: a recapitulation
- Modality, tense and aspect in the syntactic structure
- The structure of noun phrases. The structure of relative clauses. Predicate-argument structure in formal approaches.
- Information structure in formal approaches. On the crossroads of formal syntax and semantics: quantifiers; negative and positive polarity items.