Introduction to Statistics
- To systematize students’ knowledge of statistics.
- To practice in application of statistics using Microsoft Excel and other packages.
- Calculates basic statistics for both categorical and numerical data. Presents initial data and the results of exploratory statistical analysis
- Makes basic statistical inference based on primary data
- Basic statisticsPopulation and sample. Classification of variables. Measures of central tendency: mean and mode. Measures of spread: variance (standard deviation), inter quartile range. Numerical data summary. Basic statistics for time series data.
- Introduction to inferential statisticsRandom experiment, outcomes, events. Probability postulates and rules. Binomial and normal probability distributions. Confidence intervals for population proportion and population mean. Sample size determination. Confidence intervals as a way to hypothesis testing.
- First home assignment
- Second home assignment
- seminar/practical class activity
- Term final
- Interim assessment (1 module)0.25 * First home assignment + 0.25 * Second home assignment + 0.25 * seminar/practical class activity + 0.25 * Term final