- To introduce the methods of working with academic and news databases, conducting systematic literature searches and preparing literature reviews
- work with bibliographic and news databases;
- find relevant data and academic literature
- apply network methods to analyze citation data
- use the results of analysis to prepare literature reviews
- find relevant data and academic literature;
- apply network methods to analyze citation data;
- use the results of analysis to prepare literature reviews.
- Principles of literature review organizationLecture 1. Introduction to reviewing the literature. Principles of writing a literature review. Seminar 1. Course organization and policies. Academic ethics and plagiarism. Resources for information retrieval. Working with HSE e-resources. Working in the computer class.
- Principles of working with citation databases (Web of Science and Scopus)Seminar 2. From research interest to research topic: constructing subject and object of research. Adapting the topic for bibliographic databases: keywords. Tutorial 1. Introduction to bibliographic databases. Writing a query. Tutorial 2. Topic detective game. Topic focusing and expanding. Optimizing the scope of the review. Filtering results. Seminar 3. Academic citations. Working with citation software. Zotero/Mendeley. Seminar 4. Introduction to bibliographic networks. Citation practices. Predecessors/successors in citation networks. Network clustering.
- Creating bibliographic maps in VOSViewer and CitNetExplorerSeminars 5&6. Exporting search results. VOSviewer interface. Term maps. Co-citation and bibliographic coupling maps. Tutorial 3. Interpreting VOSviewer maps. Tutorials 4&5. CitNetExplorer. Dynamics in citation networks.
- Principles of working with news databases (Integrum, Factiva)Seminar 7. Working with the news databases. Tutorial 6. Studying the dynamics of the research field.
- Strategies of literature synthesis and writing techniquesSeminars 8&9. Academic reading and writing tips. Structuring a literature review. Seminar 10. Discussing excerpts from literature reviews. Seminars 11&12. Mini-conference: sharing preliminary results. Discussing assessment criteria. Seminar 13. Q&A session.
- Home Assignment (HA) 1
- In-class Assignment
- Home Assignment 2,3,4The average grade for the HA 2, 3, 4, as well as the resulting grade are rounded arithmetically.
- Home Assignment 5
- Conference paper and presentation
- Final projectэкзамен состоялся в марте 2020 года
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.15 * Conference paper and presentation + 0.3 * Final project + 0.1 * Home Assignment (HA) 1 + 0.25 * Home Assignment 2,3,4 + 0.1 * Home Assignment 5 + 0.1 * In-class Assignment
- Davies, J., Goker, A., & Wiley InterScience (Online service). (2009). Information Retrieval : Searching in the 21st Century. Chichester, U.K.: Wiley. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=308933
- Wang, G. T., & Park, K. (2016). Student Research and Report Writing : From Topic Selection to the Complete Paper. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1108252
- Martín-Martín, A., Orduna-Malea, E., Thelwall, M., & López-Cózar, E. D. (2018). Google Scholar, Web of Science, and Scopus: a systematic comparison of citations in 252 subject categories. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2018.09.002