Professional Ethics and Business Communication
Type: Elective course (Public Policy and Analytics)
Area of studies: Public Administration
Delivered by: Department of Public Administration
When: 4 year, 2 module
Mode of studies: offline
Instructors: Mariia V. Rubtсova
ECTS credits: 5
Contact hours: 36
The course explores some issues in professional ethics and business communications. The modern public and business sectors began to rethink and rebuild their commitment to society and to ethical problems. The aim of this course is to provide students with an understanding of modern ideas and trends in professional ethics and its influence on business communication, its character, and its results.
- The course introduces students to the concepts of professional ethics in its mutual influence on business and professional communication practices. It discusses problems of current challenges for professional and business structures from society. The environmental and social requirements of the population are constantly increasing. An increase in the quality of life leads to the need for clear regulation of communication, the identification of key indicators of its success, and the development of interaction schemes in conflict situations. The Learning Objectives are the following: - to increase understanding and critical analysis of the intersection between ethical behavior and business outcomes in modern society; - to study different theoretical perspectives of ethical business communication in Russian and international contexts; - to analyze principles and criteria for regulation of communication; - to discuss some decision-making criteria for solving ethical conflicts; - to develop professional communication practices for students.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Analyzes main theoretical problems of ethical business communication
- Evaluates main stakeholders of decision-making process in Regalements and Codecs of Ethics creation
- Applies acquired knowledge to solve ethical conflicts in the business communication process
- Theoretical framework and Principles of Professional and Business Ethicsa. Introduction to the course. b. Main theoretical problems of ethical business communication. c. Principles of Professional and Business Ethics.
- Regalements and Codecs of Ethicsa. Introduction to Regalements and Codecs of Ethics. b. Key stakeholders of decision-making process in Regalements and Codecs of Ethics creation. c. Implementation of Codecs of Ethics in organization practice.
- Solving ethical conflicts in the business communication processa. Theoretical framework: ethical conflicts in business communications b. Key stakeholders of ethical conflicts regulations c. Ethical commissions d. Concluding workshop (final in-class presentations).
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.2 * Case description + 0.25 * Class participation + 0.3 * Final examination + 0.25 * Project
Recommended Core Bibliography
- Cheney, G., Lair, D., Ritz, D., & Kendall, B. (2009). Just a Job?: Communication, Ethics, and Professional Life. Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsrep&AN=edsrep.b.oxp.obooks.9780195182781
- Searing, E. (2016). Practicing Professional Ethics in Economics and Public Policy. [N.p.]: Springer. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1170571
Recommended Additional Bibliography
- Davis, M., & Stark, A. (2001). Conflict of Interest in the Professions. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=150056