- knowledge of theoretical background behind corporate governance research: agency theory, theory of the firm, corporate finance.
- knowledge of the modern CG practices in developed economies and emerging markets: different models, structure and participants of CG process, the role and the level of development of corporate law
- understanding of the problems of corporate governance specific to Russian economy: characteristics of Russian corporations, evolution of corporate ownership structure, the state of Russian corporate law, stock market and corporate investments, Russian model of corporate governance
- understanding research papers on corporate governance and ability to do research in this area
- Introduction. Theoretical foundation of corporate governanceNotion and definition of corporate governance. Theoretical foundations: agency theory, theory of the firm, contract theory, theory of corporate finance.
- The role of shareholdersTypes of shareholders. Their role in corporate governance. Shareholder ownership structures around the world.
- The role of the board of directorsBoard of directors as a nexus of corporate governance relations. Structure of the board of directors. Board functions. Regulation of the board. The role of independent directors.
- The role of top-managers (CEO)Chief executive officer of the firm. CEO and agency problem. CEO and the board of directors. CEO remuneration. CEO turnover.
- The role of stakeholders and corporate social responsibilityTypes of stakeholders and their role in corporate governance. The origins of corporate social responsibility (CSR). Types of CSR activities, socially responsible investments. CSR through economic lens.
- Measuring the quality of CG and CG ratingsMeasuring the quality of corporte governance at the firm level and at the country level. Corporate governance ratings: criteria, cross-country differences.
- Comparative CG and the Russian model of CGCross-country differences in the models of corporate governance. Specific features of the Russian model of corporate governance. Globalization and convergence of corporate governance systems.
- Промежуточная аттестация (3 модуль)0.12 * Group work in class + 0.18 * Presentation + 0.2 * Term paper + 0.1 * Test 1 + 0.4 * Test 2
- Reinhardt, F. L., Stavins, R. N., & Vietor, R. H. K. (2008). Corporate Social Responsibility Through an Economic Lens. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.DBA5307A
- Reena Aggarwal, & Miguel Ferreira. (2011). Does governance travel around the world? Evidence from institutional investors. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.91864299