- Evgenia Zakharova, a first-year student of the Master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance, has been named the winner of HSE’s Student Research Competition 2015. For the competition, she submitted her project ‘Suboptimal Investments and M&A Deals in Emerging Capital Markets’ (Academic Supervisor: Viсtoria Cherkasova).
- Anastasia Suchkova, a second-year student of the Master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance, took part in the 12th Workshop on Corporate Governance (Brussels, Belgium) on October 29-30. She presented a report entitled ‘Does corporate performance matter for the changes in the Boards and the dismissal of CEO?’ co-authored by Irina Ivashkovskaya, Head of the Department of Finance, and Anastasia Stepanova, Academic Supervisor of the programme.
- Andrey Pupshev, a second-year student of the Master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance, represented HSE among the 60 best universities in Europe at BCG Traction Europe Workshop 2015 in France.
- Students of the programme took part in the CFA Research Challenge
Sergey Stepanov, a second-year student of the Master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance
‘The qualifying round of the CFA Research Challenge is the first step on the way to winning the competition. Despite the fact that most part of the work was done before the speech, the presentation of the project results is extremely important and sometimes even crucial. I take part in the competition because I believe that our team can repeat last year’s success and move even closer to the main goal – winning the championship. The unique experience and opportunities that the CFA Research Challenge gives you have been a strong motivation to work hard and stay productive’.
Vladimir Seleznev, a first-year student of the Master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance
‘I expect that this competition will help me to gain some valuable experience, improve my skills and develop some useful contacts. I look forward to winning the national finals and showing good results in regional and global qualifying rounds’.
- Second-year students of the programme present projects from other Master’s programmes at the research seminars
‘Does corporate performance matter for the changes in the Boards and the dismissal of CEO?’ was presented by Anastasia Suchkova, a second-year student of the Master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance.
The authors of the project study the impact of company performance on the dismissal of CEOs and on board changes in Russia. The study showed a negative and significant correlation between company performance and CEO dismissal on the Russian market in 2014-2015. The authors also analyzed different measures of company performance and patterns of the CEO turnover-performance relationship, and the relation between corporate performance and CEO dismissal (Board changes) in different ownership structures.
‘The value added of human capital of CEO and the board in the emerging capital market: evidence from Russia’ was presented by Evgenia Morkovkina, second-year student of the master’s programme in Strategic Corporate Finance.
The human capital of CEOs and boards of directors influence company performance. This impact is positive for Russian companies despite the country’s relatively short experience with a market economy. CEO work experience in the financial sector tends to positively affect company performance; however, this does not apply to boards where the impact of a set of different characteristics is not linear.