Research Seminar "Post-Soviet Eurasia"
- The course tasks are: 1) to help students specify the issues of their prospective research and formulate research topic by giving them the opportunity to get acquainted with the professors of the department, particularly with the scope of their research interests, publications, research papers themes of the department; 2) to familiarize students with the research and analysis methods, to introduce them the rules of drafting and developing of academic research texts of various genres clarifying the language peculiarities of academic writing; 3) to develop professional skills and competences required for the preparation of course papers, master's theses, academic papers, reviews, etc. on public policy & human rights issues; 4) to develop the students' skills of academic discussion, expert debate, presentation of the research work results to the expert community, critically reviewing the comments and defending their point of view; 5) to examine and discuss in the class the academic literature on the subject of the seminar, to help students choose proper academic references and data sources for their master's theses; 6) to teach students the techniques and skills of scientific analysis of empirical data needed for their further professional activities.
- the requirements to the content and drafting of academic and applied research (articles, essays, dissertations, etc.); the criteria of selection and principles of usage of the academic sources relevant to the research and interpretation of the research results;
- the requirements to the quality and quantity of research material/data; the requirements to the presentation of research results;
- the main theoretical approaches and methods used in public policy & human rights research; the basic theoretical conceptions and categories used for the monitoring preparation;
- the core questions associated with the choice of the research method applicable to public policy & human rights issues investigation
- the content of the required reading given by this program.
- Dissertation proposal structure
- Qualitative methods: Applications for the term paper
- presentations by students of their dissertation outlines, research question, choice of methodology, ideas on collecting data
- Academic writing: composition, structure and arguments
- Preparing for the research. Literature Review, Research Design, Working with Data
- seminars participation (неблокирующий)
- preparing the dissertation outline (неблокирующий)
- Промежуточная аттестация (3 модуль)0.7 * preparing the dissertation outline + 0.3 * seminars participation