Summary of Degree Programme
38.04.08 Finance and Credit
HSE University Educational Standard
Instruction in Russian with some courses in English
With online tools
Global financial markets have been subject to changes in recent years. The growing role of nonbank financial intermediaries, increasing the role of structured Finance, new financial technologies, increasing the role of roboadvising, blockchain, crowdfunding and other innovations In order to be competitive, financial institutions must constantly attract specialists who understand these innovations. They are prepared by the Financial engineering program.
A special feature of the master's program is that it is focused on the needs of a wide range of financial market participants, both companies and private investors.
Competitive advantages of training on the program:
- practice-oriented program;
- the program attracts domestic and foreign experts, working in international companies such as the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation; Sberbank of Russia; the Central Bank of the Russian Federation; Alfa-Bank; Finam Bank and Finam, OOO "Moscow partners"; "RENOVA-StroyGroup", etc.;
- students are encouraged to choose elective courses;
- students take part in projects of the project and training laboratory of financial market analysis (LAFR);
- students are offered master classes, projects, case studies and seminars conducted by highly qualified business experts;
- students of the program can also participate in international internships or take part in one of the double degree programs, with a trip to study abroad and receive two diplomas - a master's degree from the higher school of Economics and a master's degree from one of the foreign partner universities of the faculty / University. We cooperate with European universities (Sorbonne (for those who know French), Luxembourg (research program), Erasmus, Humboldt, Maastricht University, etc.)
- evening and Saturday classes allow students to study and work at the same time;
- students gain useful connections for their future careers.
A graduate in the field of Finance and credit with the qualification (degree) "master" in accordance with the tasks of professional activity and the goals of the main educational program has the following professional competencies:
- is able to conduct a full-fledged fundamental analysis of financial instruments (stocks and bonds), determine entry and exit points, develop investment strategies that allow you to get higher than market returns, and perform the functions of a financial analyst;
- able to design structural financial products and evaluate their effectiveness for the retail investor and the Issuer of such products;
- able to develop and apply new financial technologies;
- able to use derivative financial instruments for insurance and building various investment strategies;
- able to evaluate and compare various methods of financing the real sector (banking, stock market instruments, crowdfunding, hybrid financing methods);
- is able to understand the tools of the international financial market, use the tools of the global financial market to attract funds and design investment strategies;
- able to use the most up-to-date methods and tools of global financial science to analyze theoretical and practical issues;
- able to conduct a full analysis of investment projects in the real and financial sector;
- able to evaluate and design mergers and acquisitions;
- able to evaluate and build an effective investment portfolio;
- is able to use modern information technologies and software tools in professional activities, set tasks for specialized specialists in the development of special ICT and SOFTWARE for solving professional problems;
- able to present the results of the research to the scientific community in the form of a report (presentation) and an article.
The curriculum of the master's program is focused on the model of training financial specialists, which combines the study of the theoretical foundations of financial Economics with the simultaneous study of applied financial disciplines and in-depth study and use of modern mathematical tools, which ensures continuity of theoretical and applied courses. The master's degree system built in this way will allow students to start practical work in the divisions of companies that offer their clients asset protection services against various financial risks after completing their studies.
All disciplines of the master's program are combined into the following blocks:
A block of adaptive distance learning courses (designed for those who do not have a basic economic education), for example, the Basics of microeconomics (Microeconomics Principles
Block 1. Disciplines, which consists of a cycle of General disciplines of the direction, program disciplines and variable disciplines of the student's choice. The exact list of disciplines and requirements is contained in the curricula approved annually by the University.
Block 2. Practice and project and research work
Practice is a mandatory part of the main educational program of the master's degree. The practice can be conducted in third-party organizations (enterprises, research institutes, firms) or in University laboratories. The financial engineering and risk management laboratory and the financial market analysis Project and training laboratory (LAFR) are excellent places not only for practical training, but also for developing research skills during the training period.
Project activities are aimed at implementing practical projects proposed by business experts.
Block 3. State final certification
The final state certification includes the protection of the final qualification work. The final qualification work is performed in the form of a master's thesis during the period of practical training and research work and is an independent and logically completed final qualification work related to solving problems of design, economic, and analytical activities.
This degree programme of HSE University is adapted for students with special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities. Special assistive technology and teaching aids are used for collective and individual learning of students with SEN and disabilities. The specific adaptive features of the programme are listed in each subject's full syllabus and are available to students through the online Learning Management System.
All documents of the degree programme are stored electronically on this website. Curricula, calendar plans, and syllabi are developed and approved electronically in corporate information systems. Their current versions are automatically published on the website of the degree programme. Up-to-date teaching and learning guides, assessment tools, and other relevant documents are stored on the website of the degree programme in accordance with the local regulatory acts of HSE University.
I hereby confirm that the degree programme documents posted on this website are fully up-to-date.
Vice Rector Sergey Yu. Roshchin