• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

For 2022’s First-year Students

Dear first-year students,
Below you will find a list of important steps, which you will need to complete by the end of August and in September to settle various organizational issues, so that your studies run smoothly and you can focus on learning.


Should you have any questions, please contact the Study office:
Manager Maria Geroeva (mgeroeva@hse.ru)
Programme Administrator Irina Gatina (irgatina@hse.ru) 

Orientation sessions for foreign students:
for Russian-speaking students: August 22nd and 24th
for English-speaking students: August 23rd

HSE Moscow Student Handbook for First Years is published here.

 Move into a Dormitory (if you are a non-Moscow resident/international student)

Places in HSE University dormitories are distributed to international students through their Personal Accounts.

Access to the ‘Dormitory’ section in your Personal Account will be made available after filling in the ‘Consent for Studies’ section and completing recognition procedure (but no earlier than August 20, 2022).

Upon your arrival for studies, a place in one of the HSE University dormitories will be reserved for you.

You must download an accommodation referral for dormitory residence from your Personal Account, print it out and bring it to the dormitory.

When moving into a dormitory, make sure you have the following documents:

⎯          passport (document confirming your identity);

⎯          copy of your passport’s bio-page and registration page placed on the same page;

⎯          medical certificate confirming health fitness to reside in a dormitory (Form 086y);

⎯          vaccination certificate  ;

⎯          medical insurance policy.

Should you have any questions, please send a message to zaselenie@hse.ru.

2. Learn about visa and registration

HSE Visa and Registration Center Contacts 

Address: Moscow, 11 Pokrovsky Boulevard, Building D, D005/D006 

Tel.: 8 (495) 531-00-63 

Email: visa-registration@hse.ru 

Homepage on HSE University portal: visa-registration@hse.ru 

Obligatory procedures of Medical examination, fingerprinting and photographing for foreign students 

Amendments to the Federal Law "On legal status of foreign nationals in Russian Federation" came into power on 29 December, 2021. The new provisions establish that foreign nationals (including international students) staying in Russia over 90 days must undergo a medical examination. Read the General information here https://ivisa.hse.ru/en/dactilo1/ 

Important Notice on Registration 

3. Receive a Student ID Card

Student ID cards will be issued at the study office on weekdays from 10:00 to 18:00. To make a student ID card students should provide a 2*3 cm photo (be sure to write your name on the other side) to the programme administrator Larisa Busheva to the study office (room T518).
Student ID cards will be ready within 3-5 working days after submission of the photo and only if the enrollment directive has already been issued.

4. Receive a Library Card

Read the Library Use Policy here:https://library.hse.ru/documents. 

Fill in the online registration form on the Library website at:https://library.hse.ru 

To get registered, you need a student ID card number and an HSE University corporate e-mail address. 

Upon getting a library membership, every user isassigned a bar code for their personal identification, which can be used as a library card. 

Ask a question: https://library.hse.ru/en/hotline/https://vk.com/hselibrary / https://t.me/s/hse_library/

 If you would like to book a tour of the Library, please contact to email library@hse.ru 

5.  Receive a Moscow Social Card (for public transport discounts)

A social card can be obtained from a local office of the Moscow Multifunctional Centre (‘My Documents’).

Step 1: Check to see if your data has been included on the Moscow Social Register’s website: check the register of students/residents/doctoral students
Step 2: Complete registration on the www.mos.ru portal and submit an application for the issue of a Moscow social card through your personal account. Applications are usually processed within 30 calendar days. You can check the status of your application through your personal account or by visiting here

International students may submit an application for the issue of a Moscow social card in person at one of the My Documents centers (regardless of their place of residence or place of study).

Step 3: Pick up your Moscow social card from the My Documents centre that you selected when making an application for it. Important: if your personal data is not found in the Register, you must contact the manager of your Programme Office as soon as possible.

6. Obtain a MIR Card from VTB Bank (for scholarship payments)

In partnership with Branch N. 7701 of VTB Bank, HSE University’s accountants oversee the issue of scholarship debit cards (note: these are not social cards) with free banking services and with a special HSE University design (our mascot, the Crow).

First-year students (including foreign citizens) who receive a scholarship will be issued bank scholarship cards automatically. If the issue of a scholarship card is not possible for any reason, you will be have an information to your corporate e-mail. The issuance of ready-made MIR bank scholarship cards will be carried out according to a certain schedule on the territory of the university or at VTB Bank branches. Information about the place, dates and terms of issue will be sent personally to the students' corporate mail.

HSE University Accounting Contacts

(with respect to scholarships and other payments to undergrads and graduate students, as well as the issue of MIR bank cards)

Information about income and/or the amount of the scholarship can only be obtained from the HSE University Accounting Office

Where: office К-422, 3a Krivokolenny Pereulok, Moscow,

When: Tuesday and Thursday 16:00 – 17:45

E-mail: std@hse.ru

Tel.: 8-495-772-95-90 доб. 11576; 11415; 11320

7. Receive an electronic ID Badge

The schedule for obtaining e-ID badge will be sent to students by e-mail and posted at the link: https://www.hse.ru/org/hse/aup/security/propusk

8. Apply for a Certificate of Confirmation of study (if necessary)

You can apply for the neccessary certificates and documents at the Student Service Centre.

9. Start using RUZ to learn your schedule

You can also check up your schedule in the HSE App X.

Useful links

Academic Handbook covers all matters related to studying at HSE University.