The Programme’s Mission is to foster top professionals, experts and analysts aspiring to a career in the public sector organizations, equipped with a full grasp of the public administration theory and a proper skill set for making informed executive decisions and conducting research.
Our educational philosophy can be described as sequence: Theory-Tool-Context-Implementation. Students should not only understand key theories but also be able to apply it and develop their own. They should not only know the basic tools of governance, but also begin to adapt, combine and develop them further. Students will learn how to study organizational context effectively, and plan systematic improvements in governance quality. They will be able fully implement the regulatory impact assessment framework. Such set of competencies can be developed through research and evaluation activities, engagement with the real life cases and scenarios, and deep studies of specific institutions.
The content of the master’s degree programme “Public Administration” falls in the broad field of Public Administration (PA). The Programme takes account of contemporary trends in the development of the theory and practice of Public Administration as well as domestic and foreign experience in the organization, structure, and content of degree programmes in public administration.
The Programme aims to prepare highly qualified specialists in public administration (state and municipal civil service, governmental organizations, state corporations and non-commercial organizations).
The Programme’s main objective is to give students the necessary knowledge and skills to work effectively for the state and with the state. The Programme incites students to do research in the field of public administration and gives them the necessary theoretical knowledge and methodological skills. At the same time, the programme seeks to inculcate practical skills necessary to execute professional activities in public and municipal civil service. In short, the programme aims
- To give students in-depth knowledge about the functions of the state and the mechanisms of their implementation, the operation of state bodies, the interaction between civil society, NGOs and the state, and the role of modern IT technologies in improving public services and in making the state more open;
- To prepare highly qualified analysts and researchers, specialists in managing public sector organizations (public and municipal service, governmental organizations, state enterprises, funds and other public sector organizations, including research and educational organizations), and university faculty.
The implementation of programme goals requires faculty members to combine teaching and research activities, involve students in research, and teach them to organize and conduct research. To this end, the programme offers research seminars, involves students in research and study groups, and assists them in conducting research for preparing term papers and final theses.
The PA master’s degree programme teaches students the knowledge and skills of conducting individual research and practical work that are in demand in every field of activity where it is necessary to use analytical competencies and take complex managerial decisions (civil service,, public organizations, NGOs, etc.). The programme inculcates leadership and effective management.
The fields of professional activity of PA master’s graduates include:
- Public administration;
- Municipal administration and local government;
- Management of public and municipal government organizations;
- Management of State Corporations and partially government-owned companies;
- Management in the social sphere;
- Management of NGOs;
- Management of other organizations that interact with public bodies.
Areas of competency of programme graduates:
- Participating in policy and programme research. Knowing and understanding the methods of problem analysis and of formulating, managing and assessing policies and programmes. Using analytical instruments to collect, analyze, present and interpret data and understanding the concepts and methods involved.
- Developing skills in the domain of strategic planning, leadership and management. Analyzing, summarizing, thinking critically, solving problems and taking decisions. Assessing external and internal organizational environments. Understanding and using organization theory and management and behavioural concepts. Knowing the basics of human resource management, financial management, information management and new information technologies. Drafting projects’ justifications, programme documents and decisions. Contract and project management. Effective communication skills.
- Understanding the basics of the provision of public goods and services. Knowing and understanding the basics of federalism and the division of powers and the mechanisms of the interaction of government bodies at different levels. Applying public administration models. Understanding the principles and basics of the organization of civil service and its future prospects. Creating networks and partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organizations and active civil groups. Analyzing opportunities, introducing solutions and studying and assessing policy results.
- Understanding the basics of public policy, political, legal, economic and social institutes and processes, and the historical and cultural context. Understanding the short-term and long-term implications of programmes and political decisions.
Courses include meetings with representatives of Russian and foreign companies, public organizations and NGOs as well as master classes by experts and specialists.
Figure. Programme curriculum