Comparative Procedural Law
- obtaining knowledge allowing to assess in a correct way the legal environment in which the foreign partners of Russian business actors live and act;
- acquiring the skills of professional evolution of a suit perspective in foreign courts and/or commercial arbitration;
- familiarization of students with the main procedural concepts including those unknown in the Russian legal system;
- learning the trends of development of procedural law in the global context;
- Students must gain knowledge on: • general structure and principles of civil procedure in the global context; • main types of procedural systems and their main features and differences between them; • the main sources, notions and institutes of foreign countries’ procedural law; • the trends of development and harmonization of modern procedural law.
- Skills and abilities: • to assess the perspectives of civil cases examination by foreign courts; • to give legal analysis of potential legal issues which may arise in course of examination of the case by a foreign jurisdiction; • to analyze foreign procedural law and case-law; • to do legal analysis of particular cases and legal conflicts.
- Students should gain the following competences: • ability to work with judicial information (search, evaluate, use information, necessary for fulfillment of academic and professional tasks, from various sources, including application of the systematic approach); • ability to carry out professional activities in the international environment; • ability to search, analyze, and work with legally relevant information by using the juridical, comparative and other specific methods,
- Comparative approach in civil procedure• Comparative method in civil procedure: why? Main functions and objectives of comparative studies in law • General problems of comparative law and specific problems of comparative procedural law • Techniques of comparative method: macrocomparison vs. microcomparison
- Modern procedural systems: history, typology and main features• Evolution of Western procedural system: historical overview. Roman and German procedure as the basis for modern civil procedure • Main types of procedural systems: different approaches. Is the classification «adversarial vs. inquisitorial procedure» still relevant? • Common law systems and civil law systems: main features , fundamental similarities and differences. General goal of procedure and different means of achieving it. Written and oral element in procedure as a key difference between procedural systems • Structure of proceedings and organization of courts as main distinctions of procedural models. The role of jury trial in categorization of procedural systems
- The Legal profession in the modern world• Education of lawyers in different procedural systems • Bar in modern legal worlds: varieties of profession, types of admission and career • Judiciary in the modern legal systems. Role and status of judges in modern justice and politics. Main challenges for the judge’s activities
- Organization of the Courts• The role of judicial organization in the classification of procedural systems • The importance of instances organization in the modern procedural typology (systems «appeal-appeal», «appeal-cassation», «appeal-revision») • General trends of judicial organization in the modern world (differentiated jurisdiction of 1st instance courts, creation of specialized courts, participation of lay-judges; etc.). • Civil law systems: France and Germany • Common law systems: UK and USA • Constitutional courts and their analogues • Supra-national courts and their place in the modern procedural lanscape
- Jurisdiction: main issues (case-study)• Main approaches to jurisdiction determination: common law systems vs. civil law systems • UK approach: tag jurisdiction, inherent jurisdiction; jurisdiction over foreign parties • US approach: jurisdiction in rem and in personam • Jurisdiction in personam: relevant notions (minimum contacts, reasonableness of jurisdiction). • Forum access: forum shopping, Lis Pendens and Forum non conveniens concepts.
- Sources of procedural law• Hierarchy of procedural law sources: international treaties, European Union law, national law. Case-law of supranational courts (including ECJ and ECtHR) and its importance in the system of procedural law sources. • Sources of procedural law in civil law and common law countries. Statutes vs. precedents. Trends of approximation and interdependence of different procedural systems. • Domestic level: constitutions, statutes, by-law acts and national courts’ case-law . • Common law countries: the overview of procedural law sources. England and Wales: unwritten Constitution; modern hierarchy of legal sources. Civil Procedure Rules as an outcome of the Woolf reforms: general characteristics. USA: 51 legal systems. Federal law and law of states. • Civil law countries: sources of procedural norms. General characteristic of Code de Procedure civile in France and ZPO in Germany.
- Commencement of a law suit• Structure of proceedings: common law vs. civil law systems. Pre-trial and trial in common law systems and preparatory phase in civil law systems: different philosophy of procedure. • Introductory stage of proceedings: filing a claim, identifying the issues, learning the facts. • Fact pleading vs. Notice Pleading: the unique American model and the trends of its development. • Initiating a suit: England. Pre-action protocols and Statement of claims and defense • American and German commencement of suit • Notification of the respondent (service of process) • Joinder (aggregation) of parties and claims • Learning the facts. Discovery and Disclosure: American vs. English techniques and civil law approaches
- Proceedings in 1st instance: The Trial and Analogous Processes• The jury in common law systems as a key (historical) factor of different procedural philosophy • The role of judge and parties in the proceedings • Evidence and presentation of proof
- Evidence and Proof• Types of evidence ; role of testimonies and documents in civil law and common law systems • Examination of witnesses: direct and cross-examination • Standard of proof: civil law vs. common law countries. • Standard of proof: balance of probabilities and preponderance of the evidence. In Re B Children case-study.
- Provisional Measures• Provisional remedies: history and contemporary context . Justification and current problems • Provisional measures in transnational litigation • Overview of provisional measures in some national systems. «Mareva" injunctions, freezing and search orders
- Judgments and Res Judicata• Types of judgments in modern procedural systems. Final and preliminary judgments • Finality and preclusion as key effects of judgments • Res judicata: main approaches to the concept. Triple-identity criteria in civil law systems. Claim preclusion and Issue estoppel and their variations in common law systems. • Scope of the dispute and res judicata: common law vs. civil law system
- Appeal• Right to appeal as a fundamental procedural guarantee and the limits to its realization. • Historical evolution of different systems of review (common law and civil law systems: hierarchical vs. coordinate model). • Jury trial as a key reason of differences in appeal systems in two main procedural systems. • The goals of appeal : seeking for a balance of private and public interests • Different approaches to finality and preclusion (res judicata) in the European countries and USA • Main systems of review: appeal-appeal (UK and USA); appeal-cassation (France), appeal-revision (Germany) • The powers of appeal courts : common and different features of courts organization in modern legal systems • Cassation and revision: modern features. The role of the highest court in different legal systems. Evolution and functioning of Cour de Cassation in France, Bundesgerichthof in Germany, Supreme Courts in UK and USA • Other types of review/re-opening
- Harmonization of Civil Process: Trends and Prospects• Common issues of civil procedure in the context of three dimensions of justice: costs-delay-truth (A.Zuckerman, Oxford University). • Access to Justice as a major goal of judicial reforms. New approaches and problems on the way of increasing efficiency of justice. Liberal or Social Procedure? Public or Private? • Directions of reforming civil procedure: improving proceedings in 1st instance; reform of legal aid; increasing the role of the court in case-management • Enforcement of judgments as a global issues; • Approximation of models of the highest courts’ activities • Harmonization of procedural norms as a major trend of improving civil procedural law and a factor of reforming judicial proceedings in the global context. Levels of harmonization: European Union, Council of Europe, global one.
- Essay or presentation on a selected topic as agreed with the Course Instructor
- seminar attendance / participation
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.2 * Essay or presentation on a selected topic as agreed with the Course Instructor + 0.5 * Exam + 0.3 * seminar attendance / participation
- Решения в уголовном судопроизводстве : теория, законодательство, практика / П.А. Лупинская. - 2-e изд., перераб. и доп. - Москва: Норма: ИНФРА-М, 2010. - 240 с.: 84x108 1/32. (переплет) ISBN 978-5-91768-072-9 - Текст : электронный. - URL: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/1043142
- Судоустройство и правоохранительные органы : практикум / под ред. Л. А. Воскобитовой. — Москва : Норма : ИНФРА-М, 2020. - 80 с. - Текст : электронный. - URL: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/1058053
- Белов В. А. - ЧТО ИЗМЕНИЛОСЬ В ГРАЖДАНСКОМ КОДЕКСЕ? 4-е изд. Практическое пособие - М.:Издательство Юрайт - 2019 - 359с. - ISBN: 978-5-534-12019-6 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЮРАЙТ - URL: https://urait.ru/book/chto-izmenilos-v-grazhdanskom-kodekse-446667
- Качалов В. И., Качалова О. В., Ершов В. В., Давыдов В. А. ; Отв. ред. Ершов В. В., Давыдов В. А. - УГОЛОВНО-ПРОЦЕССУАЛЬНОЕ ПРАВО. ПРАКТИКУМ 5-е изд., пер. и доп. Учебное пособие для СПО - М.:Издательство Юрайт - 2019 - 390с. - ISBN: 978-5-9916-6828-6 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЮРАЙТ - URL: https://urait.ru/book/ugolovno-processualnoe-pravo-praktikum-434054
- Михайлов А. М. - СРАВНИТЕЛЬНОЕ ПРАВОВЕДЕНИЕ: СУДЕБНАЯ ВЛАСТЬ В ПРАВОВОЙ СИСТЕМЕ АНГЛИИ 2-е изд. Учебное пособие для бакалавриата и магистратуры - М.:Издательство Юрайт - 2019 - 355с. - ISBN: 978-5-534-08913-4 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЮРАЙТ - URL: https://urait.ru/book/sravnitelnoe-pravovedenie-sudebnaya-vlast-v-pravovoy-sisteme-anglii-426693
- Под общ. ред. Резника Г.М. - УГОЛОВНО-ПРОЦЕССУАЛЬНОЕ ПРАВО РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ В 2 Ч. ЧАСТЬ 1 2-е изд., пер. и доп. Учебник для академического бакалавриата - М.:Издательство Юрайт - 2019 - 360с. - ISBN: 978-5-534-02051-9 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЮРАЙТ - URL: https://urait.ru/book/ugolovno-processualnoe-pravo-rossiyskoy-federacii-v-2-ch-chast-1-434592
- Социальные технологии и юридическое познание : монография / Л. А. Воскобитова, В. И. Пржиленский. — М. : Норма : ИНФРА-М, 2017. — 192 с. - Режим доступа: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/780483
- Сравнительное правоведение : учебник для магистратуры / В.Е. Чиркин. — 2-е изд., пересмотр. — М. : Норма : ИНФРА-М, 2017. — 320 с. - Режим доступа: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/752335
- Уголовно-процессуальное право Российской Федерации: Учебник / Отв. ред. П.А. Лупинская, Л.А. Воскобитова. - 3-e изд., перераб. и доп. - Москва : Норма: НИЦ ИНФРА-М, 2019. - 1008 с. - Текст : электронный. - URL: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/1003769