Master's Double Degree Programme "Strategic Management in Logistics"
1. History of Partner Universities
Private university with the state accreditation, the bbw University of Applied Sciences (hereafter – the bbw) was founded in 2007 on the initiative of Berlin and Brandenburg industry associations. The University is an actively growing training centre: material and research bases are supported both by strong regional clusters of business partners from different industries (automotive, electronic equipment, instrument etc.) and by scientific and academic communities well known in Germany and Europe. Further information about the bbw can be found on its website.
The National Research University Higher School of Economics (hereafter – the HSE) was established in 1992 as an economics university, and its first faculties primarily trained economists, managers and sociologists. But modern education in the social and economic sciences is interdisciplinary in nature, with educational and research discoveries and breakthroughs taking place at the crossroads of different disciplines and sciences. Now with four campuses and more than 27 thousand students the HSE is a leader in combining Russian education traditions with the best international teaching and research practices. The HSE offers outstanding educational programmes from secondary school to doctoral studies, with top departments and research centres in a number of international fields. Additional information about the HSE is presented on its website.
2. Partnership of the Universities
On the 27th of November the Agreement on cooperation in the field of education between the Faculty of Logistics at the HSE (Russia) and the Faculty of Industrial Engineering at the bbw University of Applied Sciences (Germany) was signed in the walls of the National Research University Higher School of Economics.
The Agreement determines and allocates the following points:
- Minimum requirements of the students applied to the Master’s Double Degree Programme;
- Rights and obligations of the Partner Universities;
- Rights and obligations of the students participating in the Master’s Double Degree Programme;
- Whole principles of the Programme implementation, etc.
Information about this event can be found in Russian here.
3. Purpose of the Master’s Double Degree Programme
The main purpose of the programme is to prepare highly-qualified logicians (Integrated Logistics Managers, Supply Chain Coordinators, Analysts and Researchers in Logistics, etc.) with a special understanding of international logistics processes who know international methodology of strategic management in logistics based on the concept of integrated logistics and can apply innovative approaches of supply chain management (hereafter - SCM) theory.
The Master’s Double Degree Programme aims to:
- Train professionals with a system view on logistics and SCM;
- Introduce the students to the modern concepts and technologies used by leading companies in the logistics and SCM;
- Develop their knowledge and skills in strategic planning, organization and management of the company logistics system, in solving the problem in cross-functional and inter-organizational logistics coordination;
- Develop practical skills of network structure design in supply chains;
- Familiarize the students with integrated planning and controlling of contractors activities in the supply chain;
- Present SCM-solutions and information support techniques, etc.
A distinctive feature of the Master’s Double Degree Programme “Strategic Management in Logistics” is its practical orientation: students should be aware of the
4. Competitive Advantages of the Students and Alumni of the Programme
Being a member of the student community, at the host University participants of the Double Degree Programme will be able to:
- improve language skills while staying the whole uninterrupted calendar year in the natural language environment in Russia or Germany. Besides practice in general language during everyday conversations student may obtain skills of professional dialogue on the topics concerning logistics and supply chain management in English and in German in Germany.
- receive all the advantages and benefits of student life:
go to the library and use electronic resources
participate in all types of student activities (research, entertainment and health),
go to gyms in the University or outside and so on.
Successful Graduates of the Programme:
- are prepared for future career development up to senior positions in international companies;
- are ready to work as Supply Chain Manager or Strategic Logistics Manager in foreign subsidiaries, branches and head offices of global companies;
- gain a competitive advantage in comparison with their colleagues in the profession, including foreign ones, at the start of a professional career thanks to the Russian best learning practices in logistics within the HSE walls and German best practices in logistics within the bbw walls;
- master the professional level of foreign language, necessary for successful work in the international business environment; the alumni are not limited to learn and practice only English as a foreign language - there are Russian classes for non-Russian students in Russian and German classes in Germany.
5. Programme Graduates' Career Opportunities
Taking into account the background, knowledge and skills acquired in the Master's Double Degree Programme “Strategic Management in Logistics”, the following places of employment can be considered by Masters:
- Russian and international companies and their foreign branches and representative offices;
- analytical and consulting companies;
- own business;
- domestic and foreign research institutions;
- domestic and foreign educational institutions;
6. Schedule of the Programme
There are two parts of education process in the Master's Double Degree Programme “Strategic Management in Logistics”: a student attends classes during two semesters in the bbw University of Applied Sciences in Berlin, Germany and another two semesters in the National Research University Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia. The Programme starts in the home university (for Russian students – in the HSE in Russia; for German ones – in the bbw in Germany), then continues in the host university (for Russian students – in the bbw in Germany; for German ones – in the HSE in Russia) for the whole uninterrupted calendar year in Germany or Russia accordingly, and logically completes in the home university.
The approximate two-year education process of the Programme for students at the HSE (Moscow campus) is the following:
September 1, 1st a.y.[*] – December 31, 1st a.y. – classes at the HSE, Moscow;
January 1, 1st a.y. – January 14, 1st a.y. – winter vacation;
January 15, 1st a.y. – 25 (8) February, 1st a.y. – classes at the HSE, Moscow;
March 1, 1st a.y. – May 30, 1st a.y. – classes at the bbw, Berlin;
June 1, 1st a.y. – July 31, 1st a.y. – Student Consulting Project at the bbw, Berlin;
August 1, 1st a.y. – August 31, 1st a.y. – summer vacation;
September 1, 2nd a.y. – December 19, 2nd a.y. – classes at the bbw, Berlin;
December 20, 2nd a.y. – January 14, 2nd a.y. – winter vacation;
January 15, 2nd a.y. – February 28, 2nd a.y. – classes at the bbw, Berlin;
March 1, 2nd a.y. – June 30, 2nd a.y. – classes at the HSE
[*] A.y. - academic year
The time for the foreign part of the Programme is from March,1 of each year till 28 February, 28 of the following calendar year.
Recommended dates of arrival in the host country are February, 25-28.
In Russia classes are held from Monday to Saturday, 3 pm - 9.30 pm.
In Germany classes are held from Monday to Saturday, 8.30 am to 5.30 pm.
8. Language of the Programme
At the moment (in 2015/2016 academic year) most modules in Russia are taught in Russian with the tendency to increase the number of English classes in the future.
In Germany classes for HSE students are taught in English.
9. Modules / Subjects
The content of the Master’s Double Degree Programme “Strategic management in logistics” combines both practical and academic approaches. It offers opportunities to deal with problems analytically identifying the logical-causal links between issues appeared and develop strategies to address them. To this end, appropriate methods of analysis are in the focus of the training process.
The lecturers of the Programme are practitioners in the field of logistics and supply chain management with extensive experience possessing invaluable knowledge of the business requirements in the professional field.
The coherence of subjects / modules between the HSE and the bbw is presented in the file**.
Coherence of subjects and credits (PDF, 336 Kb)
** Due to the annual revision of the curriculum for the Master’s Degree Programme “Strategic Management in Logisitcs”, the list of subjects / modules studied at the HSE can be slightly adjusted.
10. Abstracts of the Modules / Subjects
Abstracts of subjects / modules studied at the bbw are presented in the file
Template_anmeldung_HSE_DoubleDegreeMaster (PDF, 1.88 Mb).
Abstracts and Syllabus of all subjects / modules studied in the School of Logistics at the HSE in Moscow campus are presented in the link (in Russian).
The subjects / modules studied in English at the HSE can be found in the link (in English).
11. Student Support on Education Issues
Coordinator of Master’s Programs in Logistics at the HSE – Anna Arnautova.
Coordinator of Master’s Programs at the bbw is under clarification.
12. Degree Awarded
After a successful graduation of the Double Degree Programme “Strategic Management in Logistics” the student will take a Master’s Degree in Management at the HSE and a Master of Science Degree at the bbw.
13. Admission Requirements to the Students Participating in the Programme
The requirements for the students from the HSE are presented in the Russian website of the Double Degree Programme.
The requirements for the students from the bbw are under consideration. However it should be taken into account that students should provide the information for two types of registrations: (1) for visa receipt and (2) for being a student of the HSE. As soon as the approval is available, the sufficient information will be presented here. The information about the procedure of visa receipt can be found in the section “Visa Support and Immigration” on the website of International Admission.
14. Tuition Fees
According to the Agreement, in case of sending the students in and out the Partners University at the same time in the equal number of students, there is no tuition fees for any Partner University of their students.
15. Costs of Living in Russia
Estimated cost of living (monthly) - subject to change due to currency rate fluctuations
Housing (HSE dormitory)
around 16 000 RUB
around 1 600 RUB
around 600 RUB
The up-to-date information about costs of living in Russia can be found here: see on the bottom of the page.
Comprehensive information about expenses of being in Moscow is also presented here.
16. Contact Person
Coordinator of the Master’s Double Degree Programme at the HSE
HSE, School of Logistics
tel.: +7 (962) 956-17-11