- Explore Russia in all its mysteries and enigmas with leading Russian and international scholars.
- Benefit from the programme’s comparative approach to research, which combines materials on Russian politics and society with interregional (e.g., post-Soviet) and global trends.
- Enjoy interdisciplinary curriculum
- Prepare for real-life work with and in Russia through an interdisciplinary curriculum;
- Cooperate with leading Russian Studies scholars, including opportunities to join the research teams of well-known academics, both in Russia and abroad;
- Learn from HSE’s faculty team that includes renowned specialists in comparative, regional, political studies and more from around the world;
Prof. Daniel Treisman, University of California, Los Angeles
The importance of deep understanding of Russian politics and society has become ever more evident. The HSE MA Programme ‘Russian Studies’ offers a unique opportunity for students from around the world to acquire such an understanding, through a programme of rigorous but varied courses that emphasize both substantive knowledge and research skills. Those planning careers in academia, diplomacy, international business, and many other fields will benefit greatly from this preparation.
Prof. Timothy Colton, Harvard University
The recent slide in relations between Russia and the Western states is a reminder to everyone of how much remains to be known about Russia, its path of development, and how it is governed. The new HSE programme in Russian studies will draw on a rich set of intellectual resources and on its unique location only miles from the Kremlin, to offer students firsthand insights into Russian phenomena.
Prof. Steven Fish, University of California, Berkeley
For foreigners seeking a deeper understanding of the country, there is no better place than the HSE. In the 21st century, the HSE has become the undisputed leading institution for social sciences research and education in Russia. Its faculty is a who’s who of Russia’s finest social scientific minds. HSE’s new MA programme promises to became the premier center for the pursuit of Russian studies inside Russia.
The Russian Studies programme offers courses from many disciplines, and our students can choose the curriculum suited to their academic interests. Political science serves as the core of the programme, so the students receive a strong background in this particular discipline, but they have many opportunities to augment it with other disciplinary approaches of their choosing.
Required Courses in Political Science:
- Modern Political Science;
- Methodology and Methods of Political Research.
Required Basic Courses in Russian Studies:
- Explaining Contemporary Russian Politics: Institutions and Beyond;
- Regions of Russia and the World in Comparative Perspective;
- Russia in the Global World: International Relations and Foreign Policy of Russia;
- Business and State in Russia.
- Russian Population Structures;
- Political Economy of Public Goods in Russia;
- Culture of Modern Russian Society: Sociological Analysis;
- Russian Media System;
- China and Russia: Great Powers in an Era of Global Disorder;
- Informal Economy and Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Russia;
- Modern Russian City and Life in a Megapolis;
- Demographic Development and Migration in the Post-Soviet Space;
- Russian Criminal Justice System;
- Russia and the Muslim World;
- Gender Politics in Russia;
- Parties and Elections in Russian Regions.
- Intensive courses in Russian as a foreign language;
- Research internships at leading Russian institutions and companies.
Russian Studies MA Programme prepares specialists with the regional focus on Russia who possess a variety of research, analytical, and writing skills to enter the job market or advanced degree programs (including PhD programs) in Russia or abroad with a competitive advantage. Diploma of the university ranked among the top 100 universities in the ‘Politics and International Studies’ category in the QS World University Rankings by Subject increases their employment prospects. Such experts are in high demand in a wide range of fields such as:
- International businesses in diverse economy and financial sectors active in Russia;
- International consulting and audit companies;
- International organizations of the UN family;
- Politics and diplomacy;
- NGOs and non-profits;
- Travel agencies, interpretation and translation services;
- Mass media and communication companies;
- Academia, research and teaching
The employability of HSE graduates is in top-250 in the world, making them very competitive on the labor market. 96% of our graduates find employment immediately after or even before graduation, and most of them work in the field they chose for study in the university. They express extremely high level of satisfaction with their employment and career opportunities.
To apply, submit your portfolio, including a CV, a motivational letter, and other supporting documents via Personal Account (see How to Apply).
Russian language proficiency is not required for international students; a good command of English is enough. International certificates in English should be attached to portfolios. If you do not hold an international certificate, your English language proficiency will be checked via a Skype interview.