- Study Russia and Russian in Moscow at one of the country’s leading universities (ranked among the Top-100 universities in the ‘Politics and International Studies’ category, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject);
- Prepare for real-life work with and in Russia through an interdisciplinary curriculum;
- Cooperate with leading Russian Studies scholars, including opportunities to join the research teams of well-known academics, both in Russia and abroad;
- Learn from HSE’s faculty team that includes renowned specialists in comparative, regional, political studies and more from around the world;
- Benefit from the programme’s comparative approach to research, which combines materials on Russian politics and society with interregional (e.g., post-Soviet) and global trends.
Studying Russia in the very heart of Russia at one of the country’s best universities: can you imagine a better career start?
Prof. Daniel Treisman, University of California, Los Angeles
The importance of deep understanding of Russian politics and society has become ever more evident. The HSE MA Programme ‘Russian Studies’ offers a unique opportunity for students from around the world to acquire such an understanding, through a programme of rigorous but varied courses that emphasize both substantive knowledge and research skills. Those planning careers in academia, diplomacy, international business, and many other fields will benefit greatly from this preparation.
Prof. Timothy Colton, Harvard University
The recent slide in relations between Russia and the Western states is a reminder to everyone of how much remains to be known about Russia, its path of development, and how it is governed. The new HSE programme in Russian studies will draw on a rich set of intellectual resources and on its unique location only miles from the Kremlin, to offer students firsthand insights into Russian phenomena.
Prof. Steven Fish, University of California, Berkeley
For foreigners seeking a deeper understanding of the country, there is no better place than the HSE. In the 21st century, the HSE has become the undisputed leading institution for social sciences research and education in Russia. Its faculty is a who’s who of Russia’s finest social scientific minds. HSE’s new MA programme promises to became the premier center for the pursuit of Russian studies inside Russia.
Required Courses in Political Science:
- Modern Political Science;
- Methodology and Methods of Political Research.
Required Basic Courses in Russian Studies:
- Explaining Contemporary Russian Politics: Institutions and Beyond;
- Regions of Russia and the World in Comparative Perspective;
- Russia in the Global World: International Relations and Foreign Policy of Russia;
- Business and State in Russia.
- Russian Population Structures;
- Political Economy of Public Goods in Russia;
- Culture of Modern Russian Society: Sociological Analysis;
- Russian Media System;
- China and Russia: Great Powers in an Era of Global Disorder;
- Informal Economy and Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Russia;
- Modern Russian City and Life in a Megapolis;
- Demographic Development and Migration in the Post-Soviet Space;
- Russian Criminal Justice System;
- Russia and the Muslim World;
- Gender Politics in Russia;
- Parties and Elections in Russian Regions.
- Intensive courses in Russian as a foreign language;
- Research internships at leading Russian institutions and companies.
- Graduates will be well-prepared for a career in diplomacy.
- They will also be in demand in public administration.
- They can join international businesses with Russian participation or in Russia itself.
- Quantitative methods that can be learned in the programme will be useful for those looking to work in consulting or auditing.
- Graduates can also pursue an academic career.
To apply, submit your portfolio, including a CV, a motivational letter, and other supporting documents via Personal Account (see How to Apply).
Russian language proficiency is not required for international students; a good command of English is enough. International certificates in English should be attached to portfolios. If you do not hold an international certificate, your English language proficiency will be checked via a Skype interview.
In the presented video you can find valuable info regarding the programme, admission process, general info on studying in HSE University and much more.
In the presented video you can find a lot of valuable info regarding the programme curricula, teachers, criteria for evaluating the portfolio and much more