HSE's Master's Programme in Russian Studies provides students with a rich foundation in Russian history and culture and equips them with the critical tools for exploring its contemporary reality, with its achievements and problems, successes and challenges.
Our programme invites students of all backgrounds and cultures to join us in learning to understand and analyze how Russia lives and works. We believe we are certainly well-equipped (and well-located) for tackling this endeavor. Together we can surely try to unwrap at least some of this country’s mysteries.
Why choose ‘Russian Studies’ at HSE?
- Study Russia in Russia’s capital at the country’s leading university (ranked among the top 100 universities in the ‘Politics and International Studies’ category in the QS World University Rankings by Subject);
- Prepare for real-life work with and in Russia with an interdisciplinary curriculum;
- Cooperate with many of the leading Russian studies researchers, including opportunities to join research teams of well-known academics both in Russia and abroad;
- Take courses with a faculty team that includes renowned specialists in comparative, regional, political studies and more from around the world;
- Benefit from the programme’s comparative approach to research, which combines materials on Russian politics and society with interregional (e.g., Post-Soviet) and global trends.
What Can I Study?
Required Courses in Political Science:
- Modern Political Science;
- Methodology and Methods of Political Research.
Required Basic Courses in Russian Studies:
- Explaining Contemporary Russian Politics: Institutions and Beyond
- Regions of Russia and the World in Comparative Perspective
- Russia in the Global World: International Relations and Foreign Policy of Russia
- Business and State in Russia
- Russian Population Structures
- Political Economy of Public Goods in Russia
- Culture of Modern Russian Society: Sociological Analysis
- Russian Media System
- China and Russia: Great Powers in an Era of Global Disorder
- Informal Economy and Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Russia
- Modern Russian City and Life in a Megapolis
- Demographic Development and Migration in the Post-Soviet Space
- Russian Criminal Justice System
- Russia and the Muslim World
- Gender Politics in Russia
- Parties and Elections in Russian Regions
- Intensive courses in Russian as a foreign language
- Research internships at leading Russian institutions and companies
The programme in 'Russian Studies' will provide you with highly professional expertise on Russia coupled with a strong background in political science and other related scientific knowledge.
Experts on Russia will be in high demand in areas ranging from civil service to business, from academia to social and cultural lines of work.
Your future job can be linked to any of the following:
- Diplomatic or other government service
- International businesses active in Russia
- Consulting and audit companies
- International organizations of the UN family
- NGOs, non-profits
- Travel agencies, interpretation and translation services
- Mass media and communication companies
- Academia, research agencies, universities, teaching and scholastic careers