The Impact of Technology
- Ability to use theories and methods to make predictions of the potential impact of new technology
- Skills to map the potential of future business
- Skills to identify interesting future business roles in emerging value networks
- Skills to analyze how an industry or market may change
- The Impact of TechnologyWe start with a short introduction module where you will get a general introduction, a description of the overall process we will follow, a historical example and an assignment. You will after this module have a good general overview of the course and knowledge about what you will learn and what to expect. Relevant theories will help us in estimating the impact of technology. In this module three key innovation theories are included and by the end a more broad perspective is introduced.
- Technology delta and barriersWhen estimating the potential impact of a technology, it is essential to understand the technology delta: How much better is the new technology and is this delta significant enough to overcome the barriers to implementation and realise its full potential? We will in this module look at both the technology delta and the barriers to implementation. Supporting this analysis, the Gartner hype cycle, megatrends and industry transformation are given special attention.
- ForesightForesight in general, and backcasting in particular, is included in this module. After a general overview this module is built around one interactive sequential backcasting case.
- Value networksTechnologies with a significant impact put existing value networks out of balance. New value networks are emerging around new technologies. This module covers value networks basics and let's you practice how to predict potential new value network roles and structures.
- Business roles and ideasRoles within value networks are further studied in this module. The role, its relationships and dependencies are analyzed. You will learn how to assess, chose and develop a, for you, interesting value network role.
- StrategyIt's not enough to identify potential roles, we also need to know how to get from where we are today to a desired position. The impact of a technology depends on how it is implemented. This module gives you some basic insights regarding strategy and what to consider regarding its formulation and implementation.
- Finale - The Impact of TechnologyThis video and the exam are the final elements included.
- EssayThe Exam is planned as an ORAL GROUP EXAMINATION, online on ZOOM Platform. A Student should log in 20 minutes prior to Exam Session. Temporary internet breakdown is for up to 10 min. If longer - a written request to the course director, cc study office manager for further decision to reschedule the Exam for another date for examination: with different exam questions.
- Final oral group examinationThe Exam is planned as an ORAL GROUP EXAMINATION, online on ZOOM Platform. A Student should log in 20 minutes prior to Exam Session. Temporary internet breakdown is for up to 10 min. If longer - a written request to the course director, cc study office manager for further decision to reschedule the Exam for another date for examination: with different exam questions.
- Nachum, L., & Zaheer, S. (2005). The Persistence of Distance? The Impact of Technology on Mne Motivations for Foreign Investment. Strategic Management Journal (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.), 26(8), 747–767. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.472
- Parasuraman, A., & Grewal, D. (2000). The Impact of Technology on the Quality-Value-Loyalty Chain: A Research Agenda. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 28(1), 168. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300281015
- Kimble, C. (1999). The impact of technology of learning [microform] : making sense of the research : policy brief / by Carol Kimble. [Aurora, CO] : [Washington, DC] : Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory ; U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement, Educational Resources Information Center, 1999. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsgpr&AN=edsgpr.000544343