‘You Are Lucky to Live in Russia‘
On April 6th - 8th the 11th International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development took place at the HSE. Some guest speakers at the Conference shared their impressions on the event.
- What is the most interesting topic for you at this conference?
- I am particularly interested in hearing the government speakers talk. The most interesting topiс for me is modernization. But I expect to hear a great many things here;the size and scale of the conference is very impressive. I am interested in the financial crisis, everyone needs to think about this today:both countries and companies. I think its impact on Russia was more than on other G8 countries, especially if we take into consideration the fall in GDP. I think Russia is a very important country in the world today.
-Why is Russia important?
- Obviously it is a major exporter of resources. But also technology is also very important for this country and it is also an important market. Russia is developing quickly and every time I visit it, the situation seems more and more robust.
-Were your presentation yesterday and your report today at the plenary session successful?
-Yes, the audience was very good.
|Wong Poh Kam|
- Is this your first time in Moscow?
- Yes, this is my first time. From what I read it is one of the most important economic conferences in Russia, so I anticipate meeting some of Russia's most prominent researchers here. My own presentation is on entrepreneurship and I am interested in meeting other specialists in this field. At the plenary sessions, I had the opportunity to listen to economists I had read and heard about before. .
- What other areas are interesting for you?
- Some sections on modernization are also very interesting. I think you are lucky to live in Russia because there is a lot of market liberalisation and interesting reforms taking place here at the moment.
- Have you managed to see anything of Moscow?
- I had the opportunity to visit Red Square and a few other historic places, and I wasn't disappointed;I was extremely impressed. I am very grateful to the HSE for its hospitality. I've been really lucky, the HSE has assigned a student to help me, and to show me around. Yesterday I visited the university and had a meeting with Prof. Frumin.
- What are your views on the organization of the conference?
- This conference is comparable to the American Economic Association meeting. I think that everybody is looking for this conference to provide a clearer outlook for the whole world and especially for Russia, of how countries like Russia will fit into the recovery of the world economy following the current financial crisis. Yesterday I spoke on trust and the economy, about the importance of trust for the recovery of the economy and the audience were great.
- What are your impressions of the plenary session?
- I was very interested in Dominic Barton's report;he spoke about developing countries such as China and the opportunities they provide for the rest of the world.
- Is this your first visit to Moscow?
- This is my first visit to Moscow. I am pleased to see that it is doing relatively well. It looks like a very important city here in Russia.
Ekaterina Rylko, HSE News Service.