Separate Plastic Collection for Recycling Available at HSE
Please note that only plastic bottles, not tableware, can be collected for recycling. Please squeese the bottles before throwing them away
The environmental student organization Green HSE has launched a service for the separate collection of plastic waste. Special yellow containers can be found across HSE buildings. For now only plastic bottles can be collected for recycling.
The organizers stress that none of the plastic bottles you’ve ever thrown away in your life has decomposed yet. But, if you throw your next empty bottle in a yellow container in an HSE building instead of putting it in the trash, it will be recycled into something new and beautiful and will not end up in the landfill.
Plastic collected will be sent to the EcoTechnologies factory, which HSE has been cooperating with for a long time. Green HSE volunteers have even visited the factory on an excursion.
Bottles and their caps can be disposed of together. Both HDPE (cap material) and PET (bottle plastic) are processed at the factory. These materials are separated, the bottles are crushed, and the pieces of plastic are placed in a tank of water. HDPE, the lighter material, floats, while PET remains at the bottom.
The separate collection of plastic is available in the following HSE buildings:
- 33 Kirpichnaya Ulitsa (near the control room on the 1st floor, exit from the hall with four elevators, and a red container on the 1st floor in a long corridor, right after the lobby where the elevators are);
- 3 Bolshoi Trekhsvyatitelsky Pereulok (on the 5th floor close to the stairs);
- 26 Shabolovka Ulitsa, building 4 (one container is in the dining room on the 1st floor, another - in the lobby of the 2nd floor between the buildings on 26 Shabolovka, bld. 4 and 26 Shabolovka, bld. 5);
- Malaya Pionerskaya Ulitsa (one container is on the first floor, in the lobby, near the coffee machine, another - on the third floor opposite the main stairs, next to the schedule);
- 9/11 Myasnitskaya Ulitsa (on the 1st floor near the stairs to the cafeteria);
- 20 Myasnitskaya Ulitsa (near the cafeteria on the 1st floor);
- 2/8 Khitrovskiy Pereulok, (near the exit of the building, next to the guard post, near the door);
- 21/4 Staraya Basmannaya Ulitsa, building 1 (one container is in the lobby of the 1st floor, in the corner near the entrance to the HSE building, the second — in the passage between buildings L and A, the third - in building L on the 5th floor.
Green HSE was the winner of the HSE Student Initiatives Competition that was held in autumn 2016. Competition winners will receive financial and organizational support from the Student Initiative Support Centre. The next competition will take place at the end of March 2017.
Members of the student organisation Green HSE volunteered to clean up nearly 30 meters of lakeshore around Moscow region’s Lake Relax, as well as 60 square meters of the surrounding forest. The volunteers managed to collect more than 50 120-liter bags of trash.
Green HSE, a student environmental club, is taking part in the upcoming Moscow Flower Show, an international festival of gardens and flowers. As part of the HSE project ‘A University Open to the City’, students will give a presentation on mini parks, the goal of which is to revitalize one of Moscow’s abandoned mini parks or courtyards.