Trends in Higher Education Research
On December 1st a seminar on ‘Trends in Higher Education Research’took place at the HSE. It was organized by the HSE Institute for the Development of Education, Dmitry Zimin’s ‘Dynasty’Foundation and the Russian Economic School. Professor Philip Altbach, Director of the Center for International Higher Education (CIHE), Boston College (USA), gave a lecture at the seminar. We have published a video of the event.
The seminar was held as part of the ‘Dynasty'Foundation series of public lectures and also as part of the HSE Institute for the Development of Education seminars on ‘Current Research and Development in Education'.
Professor Altbach is a leading international expert in comparative studies of university development programmes in developing countries. He has taught at universities in China, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan. He chairs the International Supervisory Board of the Shanghai University Higher School of Education,which publishes two of the most authoritative world league tables of universities.
Professor Altbach is the author and editor of the following books:
- World Class Worldwide:Transforming Research Universities in Asia and Latin America (2007).
- Higher Education in the New Century (2007).
- International Handbook of Higher Education (2006).
- Asian Universities:Historical Perspectives and Contemporary Challenges (2004).
- Decline of the Guru:The Academic Profession in Middle-Income and Developing Countries (2002).
- Higher Education:A Worldwide Inventory of Centers and Programs (2001).
- The Changing Academic Workplace:Comparative Perspectives (2000).
- Higher Education in the 21st Century:Global Challenge and National Response (1999).
- Comparative Higher Education (1998).
- International Academic Profession:Portraits from Twelve Countries (1997).
- Emergent Issues in Education:Comparative Perspectives (1992).
- Higher Education and Scientific Development in Newly Industrializing Nations (1989).
In his report P.Altbach showed how higher education research has been changing in recent years, and which topics and methods are becoming increasingly important.
Video from Philip Altbach's lecture on ‘Trends in Higher Education Research'seminar