Dennis Craig Coates
- Leading Research Fellow:HSE Campus in Perm / International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy
- Dennis Craig Coates has been at HSE University since 2014.
Education and Degrees
University of Maryland
Doctor of Sciences*
University of Arizona
1988 Ph.D., University of Maryland
1983 M.A. (Economics), University of Arizona
1982 M.A. (Latin American Studies)б University of Arizona
1979 B.A. (History), SUNY at Albany
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Awards and Accomplishments
Charles Koch Foundation, 2014
Summer Faculty Fellowship, UMBC, 1999.
University System of Maryland, Web Initiative in Teaching Fellow, 1998-99.
Summer Faculty Fellowship, UMBC, 1997.
Duncan Black Prize 1995, for the best paper in Public Choice in 1995.
Institute for Research in Social Sciences Summer Faculty Stipend, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1993.
Junior Faculty Development Award, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1992.
Editorial board membership
Editorships and Editorial Boards:
Public Choice, Journal of Sport Management, Public Finance and Management, Southern Economic Journal, International Journal of Sport Finance, Journal of Sports Economics.
Editor: Journal of Sports Economics
Book Series Editor: Sports Economics, Management and Policy, Springer-Verlag
2007: Member of the Editorial Board (редактор), Journal of Sports Economics.
July 09, 2015 - Grant for RSF Project No.15-18-20039 “Competitiveness of Russian companies in the condition of import substitution: the role of intangibles” (Performance period: 2015-2017), Role - Researcher
- Article Shenkman E., Coates D. C., Chadov A. L., Parshakov P. Team vs. individual tournament: An organizer’s dilemma // Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 2022. Vol. 198. P. 476-492. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Fahrner M., Pawlowski T. Decision-making in professional football: an empirical analysis of club members’ voting behaviour // European Sport Management Quarterly. 2021 doi
- Article Parshakov P., Paklina S., Coates D. C., Chadov A. L. Does video games’ popularity affect unemployment rate? Evidence from macro-level analysis // Journal of Economic Studies. 2021. Vol. 48. No. 4. P. 817-835. doi
- Article Bykova A., Coates D. C. Does Experience Matter? Salary Dispersion, Coaching, and Team Performance // Contemporary Economic Policy. 2020. Vol. 38. No. 1. P. 188-205. doi
- Article Bykova A., Coates D. C. Firm performance and regional economic freedom: the case of Russia // Post-Soviet Affairs. 2020. Vol. 36. No. 5-6. P. 395-415. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Naidenova I. N., Parshakov P. Transfer Policy and Football Club Performance: Evidence from Network Analysis // International Journal of Sport Finance. 2020. Vol. 15. No. 3. P. 95-109. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Naidenova I. N., Parshakov P. Determinants of governmental support of Russian companies: lessons on industrial policy, rent-seeking and corruption // Constitutional Political Economy. 2019. Vol. 30. No. 4. P. 438-466. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P. Flame goes out: Determinants of individual support at the 2024 Hamburg Games Referendum // Contemporary Economic Policy. 2018. Vol. 36. No. 2. P. 302-317. doi
- Article Parshakov P., Zavertiaeva M. A., Coates D. C. Is diversity good or bad? Evidence from eSports teams analysis // Applied Economics. 2018. Vol. 50. No. 47. P. 5064-5075. doi
- Article Pawlowski T., Nalbantis G., Coates D. C. Perceived game uncertainty, suspense and the demand for sport // Economic Inquiry. 2018. Vol. 56. No. 1. P. 173-192. doi
- Chapter Coates D. C., Depken C. A. Tax Schemes for Sports Venues, in: For Your Own Good: Taxes, Paternalism, and Fiscal Discrimination in the Twenty-First Century. Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George Mason University, 2018. Ch. 11. P. 243-262.
- Article Coates D. C., Nalbantis G., Pawlowski T. The fans’ perception of competitive balance and its impact on willingness-to-pay for a single game, forthcoming // Journal of Sports Economics. 2017. Vol. 18. No. 5. P. 479-505. doi
- Article Coates D. C. Weaponization of Sports: The Battle for World Influence through Sporting Success // Independent Review. 2017. Vol. 22. No. 2. P. 215-221.
- Article Barajas A., Coates D. C., Sanchez-Fernandez P. Beyond retrospective assessment sport event economic impact studies as a management tool for informing event organizatio, in press // European Research on Management and Business Economics. 2016. Vol. 22. No. 3. P. 124-130. doi
- Preprint Coates D. C., Parshakov P. Team vs. Individual Tournaments: Evidence from Prize Structure in eSports / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2016. No. 138/EC/2016.
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P., Breuer C. Utilizing a short-term fitness program to address time constraints among fitness participants // International Journal of Sport Sciences. 2016. Vol. 6. No. 3. P. 100-105. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Agha N. A Compensating Differential Approach to Valuing the Social Benefit of Minor League Baseball // Contemporary Economic Policy. 2015. Vol. 33. No. 2. P. 285-299.
- Preprint Coates D. C. Growth Effects of Sports Franchises, Stadiums, and Arenas: 15 Years Later / George Mason University. Series Mercatus Working Paper "Mercatus Working Paper". 2015.
- Article Coates D. C., Frick B. Superstar Salaries and Soccer Success: The Impact of Designated Players in Major League Soccer, принята к печати // Journal of Sports Economics. 2015
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P., Breuer C. The effect of a four-week fitness program on satisfaction with health and life // International Journal of Public Health. 2015. Vol. 25. No. 5. P. 864-868.
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P. Why were voters against the 2022 Munich winter Olympics in a referendum? // International Journal of Sport Finance. 2015. Vol. 10. No. 3. P. 267-283.
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P., Feiler S., Breuer C. A Bivariate Probit Examination of Financial and Volunteer Problems of Non-Profit Sport Clubs // International Journal of Sport Finance. 2014. Vol. 9. No. 3. P. 230-248.
International Conference on Applied Research in Economics (iCare2)
- session chair
- member of the Programme Committee
Victor Krakovich presented the results of the study "Research-teaching nexus: the new answer to the old question"
Crowdsourced assessments of the value and ability of football players should be used with caution. As a rule, such estimates are below market value, while the difference depends on the league and the prestige of the players. Dennis Coates and Petr Parshakov, researchers at the International Laboratory for the Economics of Intangible Assets of HSE — Perm, came to such conclusions in the article "The wisdom of crowds and transfer market values", published in the European Journal of Operational Research.
IDLab members took part in the European Sport Economics Association (ESEA) conference
IDLab members acted as experts at a virtual workshop of the European Sport Economics Association (ESEA) conference
5th Eastern Conference on Football Economics & 7th Western Conference on Football and Finance July 2-3, 2021 (Online)
IDLab members took part in the annual conference on football economics and finance, which combined 2 conferences - 5th Eastern Conference on Football Economics and 7th Western Conference on Football and Finance July 2-3, 2021 (Online)
IDLab members, as well as students writing course papers under their supervision, took an active part in the VIII scientific conference "Neighbors in Research".
Anna Bykova and Dennis Coates presented the results of the study "Economic freedom and performance in sports: evidence from US major leagues"
Dennis Coates, professor at the UMBC (USA), will deliver a series of lectures for HSE undergraduate students
Petr Parshakov, IDLab member, presented the results of a study on the impact of expectations on employee performance after job change
Researchers of IDLab took part in the next session of Analytics for Management and Economics Conference
Dennis Coates presented the results of a study on the choice of an individual or team tournament format using the example of esports at an online conference
Dennis Coates presented the results of a study on choosing an individual or team format for a tournament using eSports data
ID Lab members published the study on the impact of Economic Freedom in the region on the companies performance in Russia
ID Lab members Dennis Coates and Anna Bykova published the research on the impact of Economic Freedom of Russian regions on companies performance in one of the leading international journals. Professor Coates is also one of the authors who adapted and calculated the Index of Economic Freedom for the regions of Russian Federation.
Petr Parshakov, Deputy Head of IDLab, presented a study on the impact of expectations when changing a job on individual productivity using data on football players
On July 3, 2020, the 4th Eastern Conference on Football Economics and the 6th Western Conference on Football and Finance were held. Jointly organized by HSE University, the University Paderborn, the New Economic School, the EWG OR in Sports, and the University of Reading, the conference was dedicated to the economic, financial and social aspects of football. Some of the organizers and participants of the conference spoke to the HSE News Service about the conference and their research.
This week researchers of IDLab took part in two sports economics confrences: 1st NAASE virtual conference and joint 4th Eastern Conference on Football Economics & 6th Western Conference on Football and Finance
Dennis Coates presented the study “Salary Distribution and Team Performance in MLS Soccer” (video is availiable on YouTube!)
Members of Depertment of Economics and Finance and International Laboratory of Intenagible-driven Economy congratulate to Peter Parshakov with PhD thesis' defense in University of Vigo (Spain)
II international conference “Analytics for Management and Economics Conference. AMEC 2019 ”
IDLab members took an active part in the 7th iCare conference, which has become traditial for the HSE campus in Perm
On June 23-24, the international conference ‘Economics of Football’ was held in Kazan. This event was organized by the Higher School of Economics (HSE), the New Economic School and Kazan Federal University. Angel Barajas, Dennis Coates, Elena Shakina, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova and Anna Bykova, staff members of the International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy, participated in the conference. The researchers presented papers and worked as moderators, discussants and key speakers at various sessions and workshops.
Economics of sports was one of the topics featured at the recent April Academic Conference. A section led by HSE Deputy Vice Rector Dmitry Dagaev included sessions dedicated to financial and organizational regulation, competitive balance, and determinants of success in sport. Two of the sessions were moderated by international scholars, Prof. Dennis Coates and Dr. Tim Pawlowski, who have talked to HSE News about their research interests and the importance of sports in modern global economy.
IdLab members presented their papers in sports economics and government support.
Marina Zavertiaeva, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova and Dennis Coates presented their research projects at the international conference in New Orleans
The 85th Annual Meeting of the Southern Economic Association took place in New Orleans (USA, Louisiana) November 21-23, 2015. Marina Zavertiaeva, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova, and Dennis Coates participated in the conference.