Dennis Craig Coates
- Leading Research Fellow:HSE Campus in Perm / International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy
- Dennis Craig Coates has been at HSE University since 2014.
University of Maryland
Doctor of Sciences*
1988 Ph.D., University of Maryland
1983 M.A. (Economics), University of Arizona
1982 M.A. (Latin American Studies)б University of Arizona
1979 B.A. (History), SUNY at Albany
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Awards and Accomplishments
Charles Koch Foundation, 2014
Summer Faculty Fellowship, UMBC, 1999.
University System of Maryland, Web Initiative in Teaching Fellow, 1998-99.
Summer Faculty Fellowship, UMBC, 1997.
Duncan Black Prize 1995, for the best paper in Public Choice in 1995.
Institute for Research in Social Sciences Summer Faculty Stipend, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1993.
Junior Faculty Development Award, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1992.
Editorial board membership
Editorships and Editorial Boards:
Public Choice, Journal of Sport Management, Public Finance and Management, Southern Economic Journal, International Journal of Sport Finance, Journal of Sports Economics.
Editor: Journal of Sports Economics
Book Series Editor: Sports Economics, Management and Policy, Springer-Verlag
2007: Member of the Editorial Board (редактор), Journal of Sports Economics.
July 09, 2015 - Grant for RSF Project No.15-18-20039 “Competitiveness of Russian companies in the condition of import substitution: the role of intangibles” (Performance period: 2015-2017), Role - Researcher
- Article Bykova A., Coates D. C. Does Experience Matter? Salary Dispersion, Coaching, and Team Performance // Contemporary Economic Policy. 2020. Vol. 38. No. 1. P. 188-205. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Naidenova I. N., Parshakov P. Determinants of governmental support of Russian companies: lessons on industrial policy, rent-seeking and corruption // Constitutional Political Economy. 2019. Vol. 30. No. 4. P. 438-466. doi
- Article Parshakov P., Zavertiaeva M. A., Coates D. C. Is diversity good or bad? Evidence from eSports teams analysis // Applied Economics. 2018. Vol. 50. No. 47. P. 5064-5075. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Nalbantis G., Pawlowski T. The fans’ perception of competitive balance and its impact on willingness-to-pay for a single game, forthcoming // Journal of Sports Economics. 2017. Vol. 18. No. 5. P. 479-505. doi
- Article Coates D. C. Weaponization of Sports: The Battle for World Influence through Sporting Success // Independent Review. 2017. Vol. 22. No. 2. P. 215-221.
- Article Barajas A., Coates D. C., Sanchez-Fernandez P. Beyond retrospective assessment sport event economic impact studies as a management tool for informing event organizatio, in press // European Research on Management and Business Economics. 2016. Vol. 22. No. 3. P. 124-130. doi
- Preprint Coates D. C., Parshakov P. Team vs. Individual Tournaments: Evidence from Prize Structure in eSports / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2016. No. 138/EC/2016.
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P., Breuer C. Utilizing a short-term fitness program to address time constraints among fitness participants // International Journal of Sport Sciences. 2016. Vol. 6. No. 3. P. 100-105. doi
- Article Coates D. C., Agha N. A Compensating Differential Approach to Valuing the Social Benefit of Minor League Baseball // Contemporary Economic Policy. 2015. Vol. 33. No. 2. P. 285-299.
- Preprint Coates D. C. Growth Effects of Sports Franchises, Stadiums, and Arenas: 15 Years Later / George Mason University. Series Mercatus Working Paper "Mercatus Working Paper". 2015.
- Article Coates D. C., Frick B. Superstar Salaries and Soccer Success: The Impact of Designated Players in Major League Soccer, принята к печати // Journal of Sports Economics. 2015
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P., Breuer C. The effect of a four-week fitness program on satisfaction with health and life // International Journal of Public Health. 2015. Vol. 25. No. 5. P. 864-868.
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P. Why were voters against the 2022 Munich winter Olympics in a referendum? // International Journal of Sport Finance. 2015. Vol. 10. No. 3. P. 267-283.
- Article Coates D. C., Wicker P., Feiler S., Breuer C. A Bivariate Probit Examination of Financial and Volunteer Problems of Non-Profit Sport Clubs // International Journal of Sport Finance. 2014. Vol. 9. No. 3. P. 230-248.
International Conference on Applied Research in Economics (iCare2)
- session chair
- member of the Programme Committee
Members of Depertment of Economics and Finance and International Laboratory of Intenagible-driven Economy congratulate to Peter Parshakov with PhD thesis' defense in University of Vigo (Spain)
II international conference “Analytics for Management and Economics Conference. AMEC 2019 ”
IDLab members took an active part in the 7th iCare conference, which has become traditial for the HSE campus in Perm
On June 23-24, the international conference ‘Economics of Football’ was held in Kazan. This event was organized by the Higher School of Economics (HSE), the New Economic School and Kazan Federal University. Angel Barajas, Dennis Coates, Elena Shakina, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova and Anna Bykova, staff members of the International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy, participated in the conference. The researchers presented papers and worked as moderators, discussants and key speakers at various sessions and workshops.
Economics of sports was one of the topics featured at the recent April Academic Conference. A section led by HSE Deputy Vice Rector Dmitry Dagaev included sessions dedicated to financial and organizational regulation, competitive balance, and determinants of success in sport. Two of the sessions were moderated by international scholars, Prof. Dennis Coates and Dr. Tim Pawlowski, who have talked to HSE News about their research interests and the importance of sports in modern global economy.
IdLab members presented their papers in sports economics and government support.
Marina Zavertiaeva, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova and Dennis Coates presented their research projects at the international conference in New Orleans
The 85th Annual Meeting of the Southern Economic Association took place in New Orleans (USA, Louisiana) November 21-23, 2015. Marina Zavertiaeva, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova, and Dennis Coates participated in the conference.