- Assistant Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology
- Programme Academic Supervisor:Comparative Social Research
- Christian Fröhlich has been at HSE since 2014.
Education and Degrees
DPhil in Sociology of Culture
Thesis Title: World Culture, Civil Society and Disability in Russia
Master in Sociology
Leipzig University, Institure for the Studies of Culture
- Contemporary Sociological Theory (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Research seminar (Master thesis proposal) (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 2 year, 4 module)Eng
- Research seminar (Master thesis writing) (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 2 year, 3 module)Eng
- Research Workshop («Academic Practice») (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Research Workshop («Research Design») (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Sociological Theory (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology"; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Sociology of social movements: theories, methods and empirical research (Master’s programme; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Modern Sociological theory: Comparative Sociology (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Qualitative research methods in sociology (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 4 year, 3 module)Eng
- Research seminar (Master thesis proposal) (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 4 module)Eng
- Research seminar (Master thesis writing) (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 3 module)Eng
- Research Workshop («Academic Practice») (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Research Workshop («Research Design») (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Sociological Theory (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Book Wennerhag M., Fröhlich Christian, Piotrowski G. Radical Left Movements in Europe. NY, Abingdon : Routledge, 2018.
- Book Fröhlich C. Behinderung im Kulturvergleich. Einstellungen zu Behinderung und Behinderten in Deutschland und Russland. VDM Verlag, 2008.
Articles and book chapters13
- Chapter Fröhlich C. Taking every opportunity against the state - Anarchists in contemporary Russia, in: Radical Left Movements in Europe. NY, Abingdon : Routledge, 2018. P. 230-247.
- Article Fröhlich C., Jacobsson K. States Shaping Civic Activism: Comparing Animal Rights Activism in Poland and Russia // Sociological Quarterly. 2017. Vol. 58. No. 2. P. 182-201.
- Article Aidukaite J., Fröhlich C. Struggle over public space: grassroots movements in Moscow and Vilnius // International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy. 2015. Vol. 35. No. 7-8. P. 565-580. doi
- Chapter Fröhlich C. Civil society and the state intertwined: the case of disability NGOs in Russia, in: Social Movements in Post-Communist Europe and Russia. L. : Routledge, 2014.
- Article Fröhlich C. Schlüsselfiguren zeitgenössischer Anarchie-Bewegungen // Forschungsjournal Soziale Bewegungen. 2013. Vol. 26. No. 4. P. 58-64.
- Article Fröhlich C. Civil Society and the State Intertwined: The Case of Disability NGOs in Russia // East European Politics. 2012. Vol. 28. No. 4. P. 371-389.
- Chapter Fröhlich C. Interviewforschung im russischsprachigen Raum – ein Balanceakt zwischen wissenschaftlichen und feldspezifischen Ansprüchen, in: Qualitative Interviewforschung in und mit fremden Sprachen. Eine Einführung in Theorie und Praxis. Weinheim : Beltz Juventa, 2012. P. 186-202.
- Chapter Fröhlich C. John W. Meyer: Die neo-institutionalistische Weltkulturtheorie., in: Theoretiker der Globalisierung. Leipzig : Leipziger Universitätsverlag, 2010. P. 355-372.
- Chapter Fröhlich C. Walking the Tightrope. Russian Disability NGOs’ Struggle with International and Domestic Demands, in: Civil Society in Central and Eastern Europe. Successes and Failures of Europeanisation in Politics and Society. Stuttgart : ibidem-Verlag, 2010. P. 77-87.
- Article Фрёлих К. Балансирование на грани: российские нго по работе с инвалидами между иностранными спонсорами и внутренней политикой // Журнал исследований социальной политики. 2010. Т. 8. № 2. С. 165-184.
- Article Fröhlich C. Ausschluss vs. Integration? Der gesellschaftliche Umgang mit Behinderung in Russland und Deutschland // SWS-Rundschau. 2009. Vol. 49. No. 3. P. 293-313.
- Chapter Fröhlich C. Russische Behindertenpolitik im Spannungsfeld zwischen integrativer Weltkultur und exkludierendem Etatismus., in: Globalisierung, Europäisierung, Regionalisierung: unter besonderer Berücksichtigung ihrer Erscheinungsformen und Auswirkungen im östlichen Europa. Hamburg : Krämer, 2009. P. 177-192.
- Chapter Фрёлих К. Российские НГО, занимающиеся проблемами инвалидности: их отношения с иностранными донорами и государством // В кн.: Эмпирические исследования гражданского общества: сборник материалов общественных слушаний (Тезисы докладов) / Сост.: А. М. Лопухин. М. : Общественная палата Российской Федерации, 2009. С. 176-177.
Editorial board membership
2015: Member of the Editorial Board, Мониторинг общественного мнения: экономические и социальные перемены.
In this issue of The HSE Look, we would like to focus on three of the many seminar series which are held at HSE, and we are glad to present the interview with Christian Fröhlich, Assistant Professor at the School of Sociology, about the seminar series in Sociology at HSE Moscow.
HSE has signed an agreement for a double degree programme with the Free University of Berlin in Germany. The agreement encompasses the Master's programme in Comparative Social Research and its German counterpart will be the ‘East European Studies’ programme.
On October 19, the HSE School of Sociology hosted Dr. Kerstin Jacobsson, Professor of Sociology at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden), for a seminar entitled ‘Emotions and Morality in a neo-Durkheimian Perspective on Social Movements’. Held as part of the International Sociology Seminar Series, Dr. Jacobsson’s talk was based on the book Animal Rights Activism: A Moral-Sociological Perspective on Social Movements (co-authored with Jonas Lindblom), which develops a novel theoretical perspective on social movements. Following her lecture, she spoke with the HSE News Service about some of the key findings in her research on social movements, including as they relate to the post-Soviet space.
On September 22 'Living and Working in Russia' workshop welcomed new international faculty members to HSE.
Christian Fröhlich is Assistant Professor at the School of Sociology who has been at HSE since 2014. He also supervises an English-taught Master’s Programme ‘Comparative Social Research’. Christian Fröhlich has talked to HSE University bulletin, The HSE Look, about programme design, partnerships, and lessons learned from running the programme.
On March 14, 2017, at 6:00 pm Moscow time, the HSE Faculty of Social Sciences will hold its first webinar for prospective international Master’s students. During the webinar, academic supervisors and leading lecturers will cover HSE’s English-taught Master’s programmes in political science, sociology and public administration.
Christian Fröhlich is Assistant Professor at the School of Sociology and has been at HSE since 2014. He also supervises an English-taught Master’s Programme ‘Comparative Social Research’ and told The HSE Look about its design, partnerships and lessons learned from running the programme
Adapting to a new university environment can be a difficult process, especially with such a thing as teaching classes, where not only teacher’s own abilities but also formal requirements and the academic culture of the institution come into play. In previous issues of The HSE Look (October 2015, May 2014, September 2013) we covered different aspects of teaching at HSE, such as the module system, assessment regulations, syllabus design, finding teaching assistants and using electronic Learning Management System.
Monika Wohlrab-Sahr, Professor of Cultural Sociology at the University of Leipzig in Germany, began her involvement with HSE when she started working with two young scholars – Christian Fröhlich, an Assistant Professor at HSE and a former PhD student of hers, and Rafael Mrowczynski, who has served as a DAAD-lecturer at HSE. Ahead of her upcoming visit to Moscow, where she will present her work on ‘Multiple Secularities’ and give a seminar on Qualitative Methods, Professor Wohlrab-Sahr spoke with the HSE news service about her work, her academic interests, and her views on the key attributes researchers need today.
Master’s programme in Comparative Social Research was launched in 2014 and has been rapidly developing since. Its Academic Supervisor Christian Fröhlich talks about what the programme offers the applicants and what makes it unique.
On January 31st – February 3rd 2016, the Winter School of the Faculty of Social Sciences was held at the ‘Voronovo’ Learning Centre, HSE. During the event, potential master’s students took part in master classes, business cases and meetings with students and graduates of the faculty’s educational programmes.
'Urban Movements and Local Civic Activism are the Most Flourishing and Productive Sides of Contemporary Russian Society'
Christian Frohlich has been a Research Fellow at the Centre for Studies of Civil Society and Non-Profit Sector since 2014. This year he is being fast tracked for tenure in the HSE Faculty of Social Sciences in the School of Sociology. Dr Frohlich has a DPhil in Sociology from Leipzig University, Germany. He spoke to HSE English News about his research into civic activism in Russia and about why he likes living and working in Moscow.