- Leading Research Fellow:Center for Institutional Studies / International Research Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms
- Paola Valbonesi has been at HSE since 2014.
Education and Degrees
Master in M.A. in Economics
European University Institute in Florence
10/1990 – 05/1995 European Univ. Institute - EUI, Florence: Ph.D in Economics
Thesis: “Four Essays on Privatisation in Central Eastern Europe”
10/1989 – 07/1990 European Univ. Institute - EUI, Florence: M.A. in Economics
11/1984 – 07/1988 University of Padova: Laurea in Political Science (top marks)
- Article Iossa E., Biagi F., Valbonesi P. Pre-commercial procurement, procurement of innovative solutions and innovation partnerships in EU: rationale and strategy // Economic of Innovation and New Technology . 2018 (in print)
- Article Galavotti S., Moretti L., Valbonesi P. Sophisticated bidders in beauty-contest auctions // American Economic Journal: Microeconomics. 2018 (in print)
- Article Corazzini L., Galavotti S., Sausgruber R., Valbonesi P. Allotment in First-Price Auctions: An Experimental Investigation // Experimental Economics. 2017. Vol. 20. No. 1. P. 70-99. doi
- Preprint Bucciol A., Adani R. C., Valbonesi P. Buyers' Ability in Public Procurement: A Structural Analysis of Italian Medical Devices / Department of Economics of the University of Verona. Series "Working Paper". 2017. No. 16.
- Article Nicolini M., Scarpa C., Valbonesi P. Determinants of state aid to firms: the case of the European automotive industry // Industrial and Corporate Change. 2016. Vol. 26. No. 3. P. 399-420. doi
- Preprint Valbonesi P., Camboni Marchi Adani R. Favouritism in scoring rule auctions / Университет Падуи. Series "Marco Fanno" ""Marco Fanno"". 2016. No. 210. (in print)
- Preprint Valbonesi P., Iossa E., Biagi F. Pre‐commercial Procurement, Procurement of Innovative Solutions and Innovation Partnerships in the EU: Rationale and Strategy / The Center for Research on Energy and Environmental Economics and Policy at Bocconi University. Series ISSN 1973‐0381 "IEFE". 2016. No. 89.
- Chapter Valbonesi P., Miniaci R., Scarpa C. Benefits to vulnerable consumers in Italian energy markets: a focus on the eligibility criterion, in: The Economics and Political Economy of Energy Subsides. MIT Press, 2015. P. 223-254.
- Article Corazzini L., Cotton C., Valbonesi P. Donor coordination in project funding: Evidence from a threshold public goods experiment // Journal of Public Economics. 2015. No. 128. P. 16-29. doi
- Article Valbonesi P., Moretti L. Firms’ Qualification and Subcontracting in Public Procurement: an Empirical Investigation // Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization. 2015. Vol. 31. No. 3. P. 568-598.
- Preprint Valbonesi P., Nicolini M., Scarpa C. State Aid to Business in the European Union: a Focus on the Car Sector / University of Padova. Series None "Marco Fanno". 2015.
- Article Valbonesi P., Miniaci R., Scarpa C. Energy affordability and the benefits system in Italy / Пер. с итал. // Energy Policy. 2014. Vol. 75. P. 289-300.
- Preprint Valbonesi P., Chiades P., Greco L., Mengotto V. Fiscal Consolidation and Expenditure Arrears: Evidence from Local Governments' Investments / University of Padova. Series None "Marco Fanno". 2014. No. 184.
- Preprint Valbonesi P., Galavotti S., Moretti L. Sophisticated Bidders in Beauty-Contest Auctions / University of Padova. Series None "Marco Fanno". 2014. No. 187.
- Article Valbonesi P., Bigoni M., Spagnolo G. Sticks and Carrots in Procurement: An Experimental Exploration / Пер. с итал. // The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. 2014. Vol. 14. No. 3. P. 893-936.
- Preprint Valbonesi P., Coviello D., Moretti L., Spagnolo G. Court Efficiency and Procurement Performance / University of Padova. Series None "Marco Fanno". 2013. No. 164.
- Participant in the Research Project: “Multi-unit Auctions’ Design in Electricity Markets (MADEM): new challenges after the growth of renewable power plant capacity” – funded by Centro Studi di Economia Tecnica dell’Energia Giorgio Levi Cases – University of Padova;
- September 2014: Winner of the Scholarship for “Visiting Scientist – University of Padova”, Professor invited: Prof. David Martimort;
- 2013-2015: Participant in the Research Project: Progetto di Ateneo "Governance Complexity and Financial Determinants of Public-Private Partnerships: Theory and Empirical Evidence" ( "codice: CPDA121089/12);
- 2012: Scientific Coordinator of the research project on: ''Public Procurement and Sustainable Local Growth'', Excellence Research Project Bank Cariparo 2012, Evaluated as: “International top level, excellent, to be strongly recommended for funding as first priority”, not funded due to lack of resources;
- 2011-2013: Scientific Coordinator of a two years Research Assistant Schoolarship, University of Padova;
- 2009-2011: Scientific Coordinator of the research project on: "Contract enforcement and contract design in public utility: evidence from public procurement”, funded by the University of Padova, with 8 researchers involved;
- Scientific Coordinator of the local unit at the Dept. of Economics, University of Padova of the following COFIN-MIUR projects (funded by the Italian Ministry of Education):
- 2008-2010: “Contracts, incentives, productive efficiency and consumers’ protection in the provision of public utilities”, (funded for the period 2010 – 2012)
- 2006-2008: “Contracts, Regulation&competition in public utilities with two-ways networks”
- 2004-2006: “Externality, costs and investments in regulated sectors: efficient regulation and effective competition”
- 2002-2004: “Regulation, access and technological innovation in network industries “
- 2000-2002: “Competition and Sectoral Authorities in technological industries“ (local coordinator in the first year: prof. Piero Tedeschi)
- 2000 - present: Scientific Coordinator of annual research projects funded by the Department of Economics (ex 60%), University of Padova
- 2015Workshop on Organizational Economics at the University of California, Berkeley (San Francisco). Presentation: Energy affordability and the benefits system in Italy
- International Conference on Applied Research in Economics 2015 ( iCare 3) (Пермь). Presentation: Sophisticated Bidders in Beauty-Contest Auctions
- Public-Private Partnerships: Design and Deliberation (Пермь). Presentation: Preferential treatment for SMEs in Russian public procurement
- Institutional Conference on the Efficiency of public spending: a focus on public-private contracts (Падуя). Presentation: Regole di qualificazione delle imprese e subappalto
Referee for the following journals: Journal of Public Economic Theory, The Manchester School, European Journal of Law and Economics, Energy Policy, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Water Policy, Journal of Economics, Law and Organization (JELO), Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization (JEBO), The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, The Journal of Regulatory Economics, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Fiscal Study, Journal of Industrial Economics, Economic Systems, Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Journal of International and Comparative Economics, Bulletin of Economic Research (BOER), Rivista di Scienze Economiche e Commerciali, l’Industria, Economia Pubblica, Politica Economica – Journal of Economic Policy, Economic Letters, Journal of Public Economic Theory (JPET)
Member of the Advisory Board of Economia e Politica Industriale – Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, since January 2015
- 10/1990 – 05/1995 European Univ. Institute - EUI, Florence: Ph.D in Economics
Thesis: “Four Essays on Privatisation in Central Eastern Europe”
- 10/1989 – 07/1990 European Univ. Institute - EUI, Florence: M.A. in Economics
- 11/1984 – 07/1988 University of Padova: Laurea in Political Science (top marks)
Every summer since 2007, the Center for Institutional Studies at the National Research University Higher School of Economics has been organizing the annual Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA). Students and researchers from around the world convene in Moscow to enjoy a whole week of lectures and consultations, presentations, discussions and networking, as well as the opportunity to be inspired by the experts.
From July 2 – 7, 2016, the 10th Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA) took place just outside of Moscow. This event traditionally attracts experts in various areas of institutional research, as well as young researchers, for whom the School is a chance to work on projects under the supervision of leading scholars.