- Yiannis Mylonas has been at HSE University since 2014.
Education and Degrees
University of Copenhagen
Master's in Applied Social Psychology
University of Bath
Bachelor's in Philosophy, Education Science, Psychology
University of Ioannina
Student Term / Thesis Papers
I. Peschinskii, Media and Finance: How Companies Protect Their Business Strategies Through Media. Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design, 2016
- Media, Culture and Critique (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 4 year, 3 module)Eng
Media, Culture and Critique (Master’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; field of study "42.04.05. Медиакоммуникации", field of study "42.04.05. Медиакоммуникации"; 2 year, 3 module)Eng
- Media, Culture and Critique (Mago-Lego; 3, 4 module)Eng
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Creativity in the Service of Economic Recovery and “National Salvation”: Dispatches from the Greek Crisis Social Factory, in: The Industrialization of Creativity and its Limits Values, Politics and Lifestyles of Contemporary Cultural Economies / Ed. by P. Kompatsiaris, Y. Mylonas, I. Kiriya. Cham : Springer Publishing Company, 2020. doi doi (in press)
- Book The Industrialization of Creativity and Its Limits: Values, Politics and Lifestyles of Contemporary Cultural Economies / Ed. by I. Kiriya, P. Kompatsiaris, Y. Mylonas. Springer, 2020. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Crafting the Common: The Political Poetics of Pantelis Voulgaris’s The Last Note (2017) // Filmicon. 2019. Vol. 6. P. 219-248.
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Crisis, Austerity, and Opposition in Mainstream Media Discourses in Greece, in: Communication and Discourse Theory Collected Works of the Brussels Discourse Theory Group. Bristol : Intellect Books, 2019. P. 35-56.
- Article Mylonas Y., Kompatsiaris P. DYSFUNCTIONAL CULTURES AND THE MAKING OF HOMO ECONOMICUS: EXPERT PERSONAS AND LIBERAL CONSENT IN AUSTERITY REGIMES // Communications. Media. Design. 2019. Vol. 4. No. 1. P. 32-61.
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Discursive articulations of the Cypriot economic crisis in Greek media, in: CYPRUS AND ITS CONFLICTS Representations, Materialities, and Cultures. , 2019. P. 268-289.
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Race and class in German media representations of the ‘Greek crisis’, in: The Media and Austerity. , 2019. P. 140-154.
- Book Mylonas Y. The “Greek Crisis” in Europe: Race, Class and Politics. Leiden : Brill, 2019. doi
- Article Mylonas Y., Kompatsiaris P. Trolling as transgression: Subversive affirmations against neoliberal austerity // International Journal of Cultural Studies . 2019. P. 1-22. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Constructions of the opposition to ‘structural adjustment reforms’ in the German mass-media // Journal of Political Ideologies. 2018. Vol. 23. No. 2. P. 223-240. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. The ‘Greek crisis’ as a middle-class morality tale: frames of ridicule, pity and resentment in the German and the Danish press // Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies. 2018. Vol. 32. No. 6. P. 770-781. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Liberal articulations of the ‘Enlightenment’ in the Greek public sphere // Journal of Language and Politics. 2017. Vol. 16. No. 2. P. 195-218. doi
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Social Media as Propaganda Tools: The Greek Conservative Party and National Elections, in: Social Media and European Politics. Palgrave Macmillan, 2017. doi P. 193-218. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Witnessing absences: social media as archives and public spheres // Social Identities. 2017. Vol. 23. No. 3. P. 271-288. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Austerity discourses in “der spiegel” journal, 2009-2014 // TripleC. 2015. Vol. 13. No. 2. P. 248-269. doi
- Article Mylonas Y., Askanius T. Extreme-right Responses to the European Economic Crisis in Denmark and Sweden: The Discursive Construction of Scapegoats and Lodestars // Javnost - The Public. 2015. Vol. 22. No. 1. P. 55-72. doi
- Chapter Kompatsiaris P., Mylonas Y. The rise of neo-Nazism and the web: social media as platforms for racist discourses in the context of Greek economic crisis, in: Social Media, Politics and the State: Protests, Revolutions, Riots, Crime and Policing in the Age of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (Routledge Research in Information Technology and Society). Routledge, 2015. P. 109-130.
- Chapter Mylonas Y. A comparative case study on the perceptions and usages of Poles and Greeks on digital file-sharing, in: Piracy: Leakages from Modernity. Лос-Анджелес : Litwin Books, 2014. P. 117-138.
- Article Mylonas Y. A critical study of informal new media uses in Sweden // Culture Unbound. 2014. Vol. 6. P. 1025-1047.
- Article Mylonas Y. Crisis, austerity and opposition in mainstream media discourses of Greece // Critical Discourse Studies. 2014. Vol. 11. No. 3. P. 305-321. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. The emergence of political subjectivity in ‘a-political’ terrains: conscientious objection to the military service in pre-crisis Greece // Subjectivity. 2013. Vol. 6. No. 3. P. 320-348. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Amateur Creation and Entrepreneurialism: A Critical Study of Artistic Production in Post-Fordist Structures // tripleC – Cognition, Communication, Co-operation. 2012. No. 10(1). P. 1-11. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Civic culture and informal media uses: Poles and Greeks discussing “free culture” // Romanian Journal of Journalism and Communication. 2012. Vol. 1. P. 41-50.
- Article Mylonas Y. Discourses of counter-Islamic-threat mobilisation in post 9/11 documentaries // Journal of Language and Politics. 2012. Vol. 11. No. 3. P. 405-426. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Media and the economic crisis of the EU: the “culturalization” of a systemic crisis and Bild-Zeitung's framing of Greece // TripleC – Cognition, Communication, Co-operation: Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society. 2012. Vol. 10. No. 2. P. 646-671. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Reinventing political subjectivities; studying critical documentaries on the "war on terror" // The Journal of Social Semiotics. 2012. Vol. 22. No. 4. P. 353-374. doi
- Article Mylonas Y. Accumulation, control and contingency; a critical review of intellectual property rights' piracy // First Monday. 2011. Vol. 16. No. Number 12 - 5 December
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Politics of identity in reactionary, post 9/11 documentary, in: If It Was Not for Terrorism: Crisis, Compromise, and Elite Discourse in the Age of War on Terror. Cambridge : Cambridge Scholar Press, 2011. P. 31-49.
- Chapter Mylonas Y. Logics of the Right and the Left in aspects of the public contestation of the ‘war on terror, in: Societies under Siege: The Government, Media, Politics, and Citizens’ Freedoms in an Age of Terrorism. International Conference on Conflict, Terrorism and Society, Istanbul, Kadir Has University, 28-30 April 2009. Conference Proceedings. Стамбул : Kadir Has University, 2009. P. 6-12.
- Article Mylonas Y. Crisis, conspiracy and rights: Imaginaries of terrorism in documentary film // Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis across Disciplines. 2007. No. 1(2). P. 96-117.
Assistant Professor at the Media, Communications and Design Department, National, Research University, Higher School of Economics, in Moscow, Russia
Post-doctoral researcher at the Media and Communications Department, Lund University in Sweden (2010-2012)
Lecturer at the Film, Media, Cognition and Communication Department and at the Cultural Studies Department, Copenhagen University in Denmark (2007-2014)