- Leading Research Fellow:Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge / International Research and Educational Foresight Centre / Research Laboratory for Science and Technology Studies
- Nicholas Vonortas has been at HSE since 2015.
Education and Degrees
New York University
New York University
University of Leicester
Editorial board membership
2015 - present: Editorial Council, Foresight and STI Governance
2014 - present: Editorial Board, book series "Science, Technology and Innovation Studies", Springer Publishers
2013 - present: Editorial Board, Asian Research Policy
2010 - present: Editor, Science and Public Policy
2010 - 2015: Advisory Board, Research Evaluation
2006 - 2010: Advisory Board, Innovations
George Washington University, Anwar Aridi, Ph.D., “Knowledge Transfer from High Skilled Diasporas to the Home Country: The Case of Lebanon and the United States”, 2015.
George Washington University, Avery Sen, Ph.D., “Transformative Innovation: What ‘Totally Radical’ and ‘Island+Bridge’ Mean for NOAA Research”, 2014.
Regular courses - George Washington University:
Econ 6255 “Economics of Technological Change”, graduate course [FALL SEMESTER]
IAFF 6142 “Technology Creation and Diffusion”, graduate course [FALL SEMESTER]
Econ 6217 “Survey of Economics”, graduate course [SPRING SEMESTER]
IAFF 6141 “International Science and Technology Policy”, graduate course [SPRING SEMESTER]
- Chapter Caloghirou Y., Protogerou A., Vonortas N. Effects of University Research Exposure on Young Company Behavior and Performance, in: Innovation and the Entrepreneurial University / Ed. by D. Meissner, J. Chatway, E. Erdil. Springer, 2018. doi Ch. 2. P. 17-36. doi
- Article Fischer B. B., Rücker Schaeffer P., Vonortas N. Evolution of university-industry collaboration in Brazil from a technology upgrading perspective // Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 2018 doi (in press)
- Article Vonortas N. International perspectives on innovation: introduction // The Journal of Technology Transfer. 2018. Vol. 43. No. 2. P. 259-262. doi
- Article Brandão Fischer B., Queiroz S., Vonortas N. On the location of knowledge-intensive entrepreneurship in developing countries: lessons from São Paulo, Brazil // Entrepreneurship & Regional Development. 2018. Vol. 30. No. 5-6. P. 612-638. doi
- Article Fischer B., Schaeffer P., Vonortas N., Queiroz S. Quality comes first: university-industry collaboration as a source of academic entrepreneurship in a developing country // The Journal of Technology Transfer. 2018. Vol. 43. No. 2. P. 263-284. doi
- Article Kergroach S., Meissner D., Vonortas N. Technology transfer and commercialisation by universities and PRIs: benchmarking OECD country policy approaches // Economics of Innovation and New Technology. 2018. Vol. 27. No. 5-6. P. 510-530. doi
- Article de Moraes Silva D. R., Furtado A., Vonortas N. University-industry R&D cooperation in Brazil: a sectoral approach // The Journal of Technology Transfer. 2018. Vol. 43. No. 2. P. 285-315. doi
- Article Feige D., Vonortas N. Context appropriate technologies for development: Choosing for the future // Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 2017. Vol. 119. P. 219-226. doi
- Article Protogerou A., Caloghirou Y., Vonortas N. Determinants of young firms’ innovative performance: Empirical evidence from Europe // Research Policy. 2017. Vol. 46. No. 7. P. 1312-1326. doi
- Article Vonortas N. The Role of Universities in the Knowledge Triangle // Foresight and STI Governance. 2017. Vol. 11. No. 2. P. 6-8. doi
- Article Meissner D., Polt W., Vonortas N. Towards a broad understanding of innovation and its importance for innovation policy // The Journal of Technology Transfer. 2017. Vol. 42. No. 5. P. 1184-1211. doi
- Article Caloghirou Y., Protogerou A., Vonortas N. Does Exposure to University Research Matter?―Evidence from Europe // Asian Research Policy. 2016. Vol. 7. P. 17-32.
- Chapter De Sousa L., Vonortas N., Santos I., De Toledo Filho D. Innovation Systems of Ethanol in Brazil and the United States: Making a New Fuel Competitive, in: Global Bioethanol: Evolution, Risks, and Uncertainties. Elsevier, 2016. P. 93-121. doi
- Article Linton J., Vonortas N. From research project to research portfolio: Meeting scale and complexity // Foresight and STI Governance. 2015. Vol. 9. No. 2. P. 38-43. doi
- Article Kostopoulos K. C., Spanos Y., Soderquist K. E., Prastacos G., Vonortas N. Market-, Firm-, and Project-Level Effects on the Innovation Impact of Collaborative R&D Projects // Journal of the Knowledge Economy. 2015 doi (in press)
“From Research Project to Research Portfolio: Meeting Scale and Complexity”, Foresight-Russia, 2015, 9(2): 38-43. (With Jonathan Linton)
“Strategic Technology Alliances and Networks”, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 2015, 24(5): 490-509. (With Lorenzo Zirulia)
“Antecedents of Innovation Impacts in Publicly Funded Collaborative R&D Projects”, Technovation, 2015, 36-37: 53-64. (With Yiannis Spanos and Irini Voudouri)
“Managing Risk in the Formative Years: Evidence from Young Enterprises in Europe”, Technovation, 2014, 34(8): 454-465. (With YoungJun Kim)
“Cooperation in the Formative Years: Evidence from Young Enterprises in Europe”, European Management Journal, 2014, 32(5): 795-805. (With YoungJun Kim)
“Academic Entrepreneurship: An American (Individualistic) Perspective”, Asian Research Policy, 2013, 4(2). (With James D. Kettenhofen)
“Network Structure and Robustness: Lessons for Research Programme Design,” Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 2013, 22(4): 392-411. (With Koichiro Okamura)
“Social Networks in R&D Program Evaluation”, Journal of Technology Transfer, 2013, 38(5): 577-606.
“Scale and Performance in Publicly Funded Collaborative Research and Development”, R&D Management, 2012, 42(5): 494-513. (With Yiannis E. Spanos)
“The Value of Flexibility in Adapting to Climate Change: A Real Options Analysis of Investments in Coastal Defense”, Climate Change Economics, 2012, 3(2). (With Peter Linquiti)
Public Procurement for Innovation, editor, Edward Elgar, 2015 (Co-editors, Jakob Edler, Charles Edquist, Jon Mikel Zabala)
Innovation Policy: A Practical Introduction, editor, Springer, 2014 (Co-editors, Phoebe C. Rouge, Anwar Aridi)
Handbook on the Theory and Practice of R&D Program Evaluation, editor, Edward Elgar, 2013 (Co-editor, Al Link)
Innovation Networks in Industries, editor, Edward Elgar, 2009 (Co-editor, Franco Malerba)
The Innovation Imperative: National Innovation Strategies in the Global Economy, editor, Edward Elgar, 2009 (Co-editors, Goran Marklund, Charles Wessner)
Knowledge Flows in European Industry: Mechanisms and Policy Implications, editor, Routledge, 2006 (Co-editors, Yannis Caloghirou, Natasha Constantellou)
European Collaboration in Research and Development: Business Strategies and Public Policies, editor, Edward Elgar, 2004 (Co-editors, Yannis Caloghirou and Stavros Ioannides)
Cooperation in Research and Development, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997
Cooperative Research in R&D-Intensive Industries, Avebury Academic Publishers, 1991
“Innovation Systems of Ethanol in Brazil and the United States: Making a New Fuel Competitive” (With Luciano Cunha de Sousa, Inaiê Takaes Santos, and Demétrio Florentino de Toledo Filho) in Sergio Salles_Filho et al. (eds) Futures of Global Bioethanol: An Appraisal of Results, Risk and Uncertainties, Elsevier forthcoming 2016.
“Managing Risk in New Entrepreneurial Ventures” (With YoungJun Kim) in Yannis Caloghirou, Franco Malerba, Maureen McKelvey, and Slavo Radosevic (eds), Dynamics of Knowledge-Intensive Entrepreneurship: Business Strategy and Public Policy, Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2015.
“Research and Technology Alliances” in David Audretsch, Christopher Hayter, and Albert N. Link (eds.) Guide to Entrepreneurship, Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2015.
Protein Crystallization for Drug Development: A Prospective Empirical Appraisal of Economic Effects of ISS Microgravity, US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), 2015.
Fostering Entrepreneurship in Armenia, Directions in Development, core contributor, Smita Kuriakose (ed.), Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2013.
Fostering Entrepreneurship in Azerbaijan, Directions in Development, core contributor, Smita Kuriakose (ed.), Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2013.
Fostering Entrepreneurship in Georgia, Directions in Development, core contributor, Smita Kuriakose (ed.), Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2013.
Promoting Strategic Alliances for Innovation Capacity, chapter contribution to the Technology and Innovation Report 2012 Exploring the South for Technology and Innovation Capacity, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
(the full list of publications is presented in CV)
“Protein Crystallization for Drug Development: An Empirical Appraisal of Economic Effects of Microgravity”, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), AMES Research Center (ARC), Emerging Space Office (ESO), 2016-2017. [Co-Principal Investigator]
“Increasing International Science, Technology and Innovation Cooperation between Brazil and the European Union” (INCOBRA), European Commission, DG Research and Innovation, 2016-2018. [Co-Principal Investigator]
“Economic Development of Low Earth Orbit Activities”, US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), 2014-2015. [Co-Principal Investigator]
“Country Case Chile: Public Research Centres”, Organization for Economic Cooperation
and Development (OECD), 2015. [External Advisor]
“Sao Paulo Excellence Chair” (SPEC), State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), Science Foundation of the State of Sao Paulo (FAPESP), Brazil, 2014-2019. [Holder of Chair and Principal Investigator]
“Impact Assessment of Greek Research, Development and Innovation Programs 2000-2009”, General Secretariat of Research and Technology, Ministry of Education, Greece, 2014-2015. [Co-Principal Investigator and Scientific Director]
“Choosing Emerging Technologies for Development”, Elliott School of International Affairs, The George Washington University, 2014. [Co-Principal Investigator]
“STI Policy Evaluation: Introduction and Economic Considerations”, Lecture, Executive Education Program on Technology management and Policy, Institute for International Science and Technology Policy, George Washington University, Washington, D.C., November 6, 2017.
“Entrepreneurial Ecosystems in China” paper presentation, Annual Meetings of the Technology Transfer Society, George Mason University, Arlington, Virginia, November 4, 2017.
“Firm Innovativeness in Brazil”, paper presentation, Annual Meetings of the Technology Transfer Society, George Mason University, Arlington, Virginia, November 3, 2017.
“Corporate Foresight and Innovation: Effects of Integrative Capabilities and Organizational Learning”, paper presentation, 7th HSE Academic Conference on Foresight and STI Policy, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russian Federation, November 1, 2017.
“Backbones of the Knowledge Economy? Universities and the Dynamics of Technology Upgrading in a Developing Country” and “Open Source Foundations as Social Innovators in Emerging Economies: The Case of Brazil”, paper presentations, 15th Globelics International Conference, Athens, Greece, October 12-13, 2017.
Commentator on “Protecting Innovation Through Patents and Trade Secrets: Determinants and Performance Impacts for Firms with a Single Innovation” by D. Crass, F. Garcia Valero, F. Pitton and C. Rammer, US Patent and Trademark Office Conference “Economic Impacts of Intellectual Property on Market Outcomes”, USPTO, Alexandria, VA, September 22, 2017.
“Social Networks in Appraising Research and Innovation”, seminar, Institute of Economics, University of Campinas, Brazil, August 25, 2017.
(the full list of conferences is presented in CV)
2004 - present: Professor of Economics and International Affairs, Department of Economics & Center for International Science and Technology Policy (CISTP), George Washington University (USA)
September 2015 - present: Leading Research Fellow, Research Laboratory for Science and Technology Studies, National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia)
1998-2012: Director, Graduate Program on International Science and Technology Policy (ISTP), George Washington University (USA)
Professor Vonortas also holds a‘SãoPaulo Excellence Chair’ in InnovationPolicy at the Universidade Estadual deCampinas (UNICAMP), State of SãoPaulo, Brazil during the period 2014-2019.
Professor Vonortas’ teaching and research interests are in industrial organization, in the economics of technological change, and in technology and innovation policy. He specializes on strategic partnerships/innovation networks, investment under uncertainty, technology transfer, knowledge-intensive entrepreneurship, high-risk financing, and R&D program evaluation. He has published widely on these issues.
Professor Vonortas has held visiting appointments at several universities including the University of Lund (Sweden), Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV) (Brasil), the University of Maastricht (Netherlands), Luigi Bocconi University (Italy), the Athens University of Economics and Business and the National Technical University of Athens (Greece). He has served as a consultant to many government agencies in the United States, the European Union and member countries, the Republic of Korea, Japan, and Mexico and to several international organizations such as the World Bank and the United Nations on issues related to strategic partnerships, R&D program evaluation, risk investing, science
Professor Vonortas is an editor of the peer reviewed journal Science and Public Policy. He holds a Ph.D. and a M.Phil. in Economics from New York University (USA), a MA in Economic Development from Leicester University (UK), and a BA in Economics from the University of Athens (Greece).
Participants of the workshop 'The Future of Science and Technology in BRICS Countries: Challenges and Responses', the closing event of the 8th HSE Foresight Conference, shared the five countries’ experience of promoting research cooperation and the results of joint foresight studies.
The annual meeting of the International Advisory Council of the HSE Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge took place on 14 November. This year the Council convened before the “Foresight and STI Policy” conference, so discussions of the ISSEK’s 2018 results, its plans for the next year, and approaches and techniques for studying and foreseeing S&T development occasionally overlapped with the conference agenda. The debates highlighted major trends which could affect relevant policies in the coming years.
In the special issue of the journal various aspects of the integration of education, research and innovation activities of universities based on the model of “knowledge triangle” are being considered. The experts from Russia, Great Britain, Austria, Sweden, Iran, Indonesia and OECD share the achievements upon the subject.
The knowledge acquired at the English-language Master's programme of the Higher School of Economics “Governance of Science, Technology and Innovation” allows to launch new value chains, create knowledge-intensive businesses, and open new markets, in general, the power of science changes reality. During the Open-Door Day, the prospective students discovered what is needed to be considered for this programme and to realise the maximum potential of the programme.
An important area being researched today is the relationship between universities and the government in the formation of socioeconomic policy, and this discussion was raised at the international seminar ‘Universities, Inclusive Development, and Social Innovation’ that took place as part of HSE’s XVIII April International Academic Conference.