- Dmitry Biriukov has been at HSE since 2018.
Education and Degrees
PhD in History of Philosophy
University of Padua
Doctor of Sciences* in History of Philosophy
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in History of Philosophy
St. Petersburg School of Religion and Philosophy
St. Petersburg State Technical University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
03.2012-07.2012: Research Fellow, Center for Advanced Study Sofia (Sofia, Bulgaria)
09.2014–02.2015: Visiting researcher, the Department of Theology and Religion of Durham University
- Article Biriukov D. Penetration of fire into iron: the sense and the usage mode of this metaphor for description of theosis in the Byzantine theological literature // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2019. Vol. 14 (in press)
- Article Biriukov D. Eunomius and Gregory of Nyssa on the Principle of ‘the More and the Less’ and Its Application to the Category of Substance // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2018. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 467-475. doi
- Article Biriukov D. Neilos Kabasilas’s Rule of Theology and the Distinction between the Light and Warmth of Fire in Neilos Kabasilas and Gregory Palamas // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2018. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 373-391. doi
- Chapter Biriukov D. Gregory of Nyssa’s teaching of United Man and its logical context, in: The 2nd World Congress on Logic and Religion (Warsaw, June 18–22, 2017). The Book of Abstracts. Warsaw, 2017. Warsz. : Instytut Filozofii Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego, 2017. P. 21-21.
- Chapter Biriukov D. Hierarchy of beings and the Neo-platonic tetrad Goodness, Being, Life, Mind in Byzantine Platonism, in: Platonic Inquiries: Selected Papers from the Thirteenth Annual Conference of the International Society for Neoplatonic Studies. Prometheus Trust, 2017. P. 219-231.
- Article Biriukov D. The Universal and the Status of Genera-Species Division in Clement of Alexandria // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2017. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 401-406. doi
- Article Biriukov D. Cosmology of John Damascene and Its Antique Context // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2016. Vol. 12. P. 353-360. doi
- Chapter Biriukov D. Hierarchies of Beings in the Patristic Thought. Gregory of Nyssa and Dionysius the Areopagite, in: Philosophy in Byzantium. Alhambra : Sebastian Press, 2016. P. 71-88.
- Article Biriukov D. The Principle of Individuation in Contra Eunomium 2, 4 by Basil of Caesarea and Its Philosophical and Theological Context // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2016. Vol. 12. P. 215-243. doi
- Article Biriukov D. On the Topic of Participation in the Divine Essence according to St Symeon the New Theologian in the Patristic Context // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2015. Vol. 11. P. 295-305. doi
- Article Biriukov D. Review on: George E. Karamanolis, The Philosophy of Early Christianity, Acumen, 2013, pp. 317, $ 27.50, ISBN 9781844655687 // Universa. Recensioni di filosofia. 2015. Vol. 4. No. 1
- Article Biriukov D. Review on: Riccardo Chiaradonna, Gabriele Galluzzo (eds.), Universals in Ancient Philosophy, Edizioni della Normale, 2013, pp. 546, € 29.75, ISBN 9788876424847 // Universa. Recensioni di filosofia. 2015. Vol. 4. No. 2
- Article Biriukov D. ’Ascent of Nature from the Lower to the Perfect’: Synthesis of Biblical and Logical-Philosophical Descriptions of the Order of Natural Beings in the De opificio hominis 8 by Gregory of Nyssa // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2015. Vol. 11. P. 197-217. doi
- Article Biriukov D. Hierarchies of Beings in the Patristic Thought. Maximus the Confessor, John of Damascus and the Palamite literature // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2014. Vol. 10. P. 281-304. doi
- Article Biriukov D. Providence and fate in the ancient philosophical tradition and in Greek Patristics. Review on: Gregory Benevitch, A Brief History of Providence from Plato to Maximus the Confessor, Saint Petersburg: Russian Christian Academy for the Humanities, 2013, 315 p. // Scrinium: Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography. 2014. Vol. 10. P. 415-421.
- Article Biriukov D. Review on: Christoph Helming, Forms and Concepts: Concept Formation in the Platonic Tradition, Berlin-Boston: De Gruyter, 2012, pp. 395, € 109.95, ISBN 9783110266313 // Universa. Recensioni di filosofia. 2014. Vol. 3. No. 1
- Article Biriukov D. Review on: Torstein T. Tollefsen, Activity and Participation in Late Antique and Early Christian Thought, Oxford University Press, 2012, pp. 229, € 85.82, ISBN 9780199605965 // Universa. Recensioni di filosofia. 2014. Vol. 3. No. 2
- Chapter Biriukov D. The Beginning of the Debate on the Universals in Byzantine Philosophy and Its Historical and Philosophical Context, in: CAS working paper series. Advanced Academia Program (Centre for Advanced Studies Sofia) Vol. 6: Advanced Academia Programme 2012-2014. Sofia : Centre for Advanced Study Sofia, 2014. P. 3-16.
- 2018In the Shadow of the Enlightenment: Humanism, Scholasticism and Erudition On the Threshold of Modernity (Москва). Presentation: Антипросвещенческие мотивы в историко-философской концепции защитников имяславия (1910-е гг.)
- ASIA-PACIFIC EARLY CHRISTIAN STUDIES SOCIETY 12th Annual Conference (Окаяма). Presentation: Man as a Natural Being in Gregory of Nyssa
- Natural Law in Medieval Philosophy: Traditions, Convergences (Рим). Presentation: Physical Paradigmes in the Christological Controversies
- The sixteenth annual conference of the International Society for Neoplatonic Studies. Presentation: Platonic and Aristotelian paradigms of participation in Origen
- The Sixth International Conference on Contemporary Philosophy of Religion (Тегеран). Presentation: Problem of Divinity Naming in Christian Theism: Denotation and Connotation
- 2017The 2nd World Congress on Logic and Religion (Варшава). Presentation: Gregory of Nyssa’s Teaching of United Man and its Logical Context
Editorial board membership
2017: Member of the Editorial Board, ESSE: Философские и теологические исследования.
2016: Member of the Editorial Board, Verbum.
2011: Member of the Editorial Board, Einai: философия, религия, культура.
Article by Dmitry Biriukov titled "Penetration of Fire into Iron: The Sense and the Usage Mode of This Metaphor for Description of Theosis in the Byzantine Theological Literature" was published in "Scrinium. Journal of Patrology and Critical Hagiography" (Vol. 15, 2019). The text is accessible online.
On June 6, Ján Zozuľak, professor from the Konstantin the Philosopher University in Nitra, Slovakia, visited HSE-Perm. The professor delivered a short lecture on the history of his city. Next year students in history from HSE-Perm will be able to go to Nitra on an exchange through the Erasmus+ programme.
The 2nd World Congress on Logic and Religion was held from June 18 to 22 in Warsaw. Researchers from HSE’s Moscow and Perm campuses took part in the event.