Mark Robert Taylor
- Mark Robert Taylor has been at HSE University since 2016.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Study of Literature
University of Oxford
Master's in European Studies
Bachelor's in English and Philosophy
University of Sheffield
- Critical Reading and Writing Skills (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Key Texts of the English-Language Literature (in Engish) (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 2 year, 1-4 module)Eng
- Science and English Literature (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Article Taylor M. R. The Strange Stimulus of the Forest: Bergsonism and Plant-Like Posthumanism in D.H. Lawrence's Aaron's Rod // MFS - Modern Fiction Studies. 2019. Vol. 65
- Article Mark Taylor. Aldous Huxley's Late Turn to Bergson and Island as Bergsonian Utopia // Utopian studies. 2018. Vol. 29. No. 3. P. 362-379.
- Article Taylor Mark. Henri Bergson's Creative Evolution and the Interaction Between Humankind and the Environment in D.H. Lawrence's Australian Fiction // The D.H. Lawrence Review. 2016. Vol. 41. No. 1. P. 89-107.
- 2018British Society for Literature and Science Annual Conference (Оксфорд). Presentation: Evolution and Degeneration in the Popular Science of H.G. Wells and the Science Fiction of Doris Lessing
- 2017Literature and the Environment (Грац). Presentation: Making a Scandal of Soil Degradation: Aldous Huxley's Ape and Essence and Early Discourses of Sustainability
- Modernist Life: The British Association for Modernist Studies Annual Conference (Бирмингем). Presentation: Aldous Huxley's Island and Bergsonism as a Way of Life
- 2013Maverick Voices and Modernity, 1890–1939 (Дарем). Presentation: Evolution through Rebirth: D.H. Lawrence and the Occult Review
- 2012British Society for Literature and Science Annual Conference (Оксфорд). Presentation: Growth Unbound and Fatal Instinct: Non-Darwinian Evolutionism in D.H. Lawrence's Transitional Novels, The Lost Girl and Aaron's Rod.
- Two Cultures or Co-Evolution?: Science and Literature 1800-present (Кил). Presentation: Evolutionism and the Imaginary Geology of D.H. Lawrence’s Australian Novels, Kangaroo and The Boy in the Bush
Every year The HSE Look continues its tradition of welcoming newly recruited international faculty via short summaries about their positions and research interests. In the 34th issue we introduce the tenure-track faculty members, and in November you can learn more about post-doctoral researchers who are starting their work at HSE this fall.
On June 4, 2017, HSE is holding ‘The Whole World at HSE’ festival, dedicated to the cultures of different peoples. It’s a great opportunity for many international students to share information about their country’s culture and explain how Russian culture might be perceived by people with a different mentality. HSE international students and faculty have shared their views on both their and our respective cultures.
For foreign scholars who come to teach and conduct research at the Higher School of Economics, whether temporarily or on a permanent basis, Moscow, St. Petersburg and Nizhny Novgorod all provide a variety of interesting opportunities to enjoy a quality life. We spoke with several international scholars who now make these cities home about their experiences and the advice they would share with others who may be considering a move.