Aaron James Wendland
- Aaron James Wendland has been at HSE since 2016.
Aaron James Wendland completed his Doctorate in Philosophy at Somerville College, Oxford. His PhD explored Heidegger’s accounts of agency and artistic creativity, and it argued that the freedoms we associate with individual choice and innovative linguistic expression are based on our ability to respond to the wants and needs of others.
Aaron's research interests include: Phenomenology, Existentialism, German Idealism, Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Art, Ancient Philosophy, Political Philosophy, and the literary works of David Foster Wallace.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Philosophy
Somerville College, University of Oxford
Master in Political Theory
London School of Economics and Political Science
Master in Philosophy
University of Toronto
Bachelor in Politics and Philosophy
University of Windsor
- Article Wendland A. J. Disclosing the World: On the Phenomenology of Language, by Andrew Inkpin // Australasian Journal of Philosophy. 2017. P. 1-6. doi
- Chapter Wendland A. J. What Do We Owe Each Other?, in: Modern Ethics in 77 Arguments: A Stone Reader. NY : W.W. Norton & Company, 2017. P. 234-240.
- Article Wendland A. J. Self-Interpreting Animals and the Humanity of the Humanities // Public Seminar. 2016
- Article Wendland A. J. What Do We Owe Each Other? // The New York times. 2015
- Chapter Wendland A. J. Language, Truth, and Logic, in: Other Logics. Leiden : Brill, 2014.
- Chapter Wendland A. J. General Introduction, in: Wittgenstein and Heidegger / Ed. by A. J. Wendland. NY : Routledge, 2013. P. 1-19.
- Book Wittgenstein and Heidegger / Ed. by A. J. Wendland. NY : Routledge, 2013.
- Chapter Wendland A. J. Words as Works of Art, in: Wittgenstein and Heidegger / Ed. by A. J. Wendland. NY : Routledge, 2013. P. 211-227.
- Article Wendland A. J. Contradictory Freedoms? Kant on Moral Agency and Political Rights // Philosophy Study. 2012. Vol. 2. No. 8. P. 538-546.
In this issue of The HSE Look, we would like to focus on three of the many seminar series which are held at HSE, and we are glad to present the interview with Ulrika Carlsson about the Philosophy Colloquium at HSE School of Philosophy in Moscow.