Aaron James Wendland
- Aaron James Wendland has been at HSE University since 2016.
Aaron James Wendland completed his Doctorate in Philosophy at Somerville College, Oxford and he is currently Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the Higher School of Economics. Aaron is the co-editor of Wittgenstein and Heidegger and Heidegger on Technology, and he is now editing The Cambridge Critical Guide to Being and Time. Aaron has written scholarly articles on Kant, Hegel, Husserl, Heidegger, Levinas, Derrida, Danto, and Kuhn, and he has published several pieces of popular philosophy in The New York Times, The New Statesman, and Public Seminar. Aaron serves as an art critic for The Moscow Times. He is also the Philosophy Editor at The New Statesman and a Founding Director at the Center for Philosophy and Visual Arts in London.
Aaron's research interests include: Phenomenology, Existentialism, German Idealism, Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Art, Ancient Philosophy, Political Philosophy, Ethics, and the literary works of Samuel Beckett.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Philosophy
University of Oxford
MSc in Political Theory
London School of Economics and Political Science
MA in Philosophy
University of Toronto
BA in Politics and Philosophy
University of Windsor
Awards and Accomplishments
- Article Wendland A. J. All Too Human // The Moscow Times. 2019
- Book Heidegger on Technology / Ed. by A. J. Wendland. NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Chapter Wendland A. J. Heidegger's New Beginning: History, Technology, and National Socialism, in: Heidegger on Technology / Ed. by A. J. Wendland. NY : Routledge, 2019. P. 149-173.
- Article Wendland A. J. How Our Relationship With Technology is Destroying the Planet // New Statesman. 2019
- Article Wendland A. J. Philosophy Must Be Dragged Out of the Ivory Tower and Into the Marketplace of Ideas // New Statesman. 2019
- Article Wendland A. J. See Death and Life in Dzerzhinsk // The Moscow Times. 2019
- Article Wendland A. J. Disclosing the World: On the Phenomenology of Language // Australasian Journal of Philosophy. 2018. Vol. 96. No. 2. P. 415-415. doi
- Article Wendland A. J. Immerse Yourself in the Kabakovs' Worlds // The Moscow Times. 2018
- Article Wendland A. J. Martha Nussbaum Interview // The New Statesman. 2018
- Article Wendland A. J. See The World Through Steve McCurry's Camera // The Moscow Times. 2018
- Article Wendland A. J. Shepard Fairey Brings His Art to Moscow // The Moscow Times. 2018
- Chapter Wendland A. J. What Do We Owe Each Other?, in: Modern Ethics in 77 Arguments: A Stone Reader. NY : W.W. Norton & Company, 2017. P. 234-239.
- Article Wendland A. J. Martin Heidegger: For and Against National Socialism // Idee: Semestrale di Filosofia e Scienze Sociali ed Economiche. 2016. Vol. 4. No. 12. P. 37-74.
- Article Wendland A. J. Self-Interpreting Animals and the Humanity of the Humanities // Public Seminar. 2016
- Article Wendland A. J. What Do We Owe Each Other? // The New York Times. 2016
- Chapter Wendland A. J. Language, Truth, and Logic, in: Other Logics. Leiden : Brill, 2014.
- Book Wittgenstein and Heidegger / Ed. by A. J. Wendland. NY : Routledge, 2013.
- Article Wendland A. J. Contradictory Freedoms? Kant on Moral Agency and Political Rights // Philosophy Study. 2012. Vol. 2. No. 8. P. 538-546.
HSE Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Aaron James Wendland, recently launched a popular philosophy column in a prominent British Magazine: The New Statesman. In this interview, we ask Aaron about his research interests, his experience at HSE, and the rationale behind his new column on popular philosophy.
In this issue of The HSE Look, we would like to focus on three of the many seminar series which are held at HSE, and we are glad to present the interview with Ulrika Carlsson about the Philosophy Colloquium at HSE School of Philosophy in Moscow.