- Maria Davidenko has been at HSE since 2016.
Starting Sep 1, 2018: Assistant professor, School of Socioloogy, HSE
2017-2018 a.y.: Class teacher in "Contemporary sociology in a global age" (in English), year 2, International College of Economics and Finance, HSE
Education and Degrees
PhD in Sociological Sciences
La Trobe University
Lomonosov Moscow State University
1) I am currently working on a research project on "Crisis centers" that provide some form of help to adults (in most cases, women) and children who have survived or continue to experience violence in the home (in the family) and sexual violence.
2) I'm also conducting a pilot project on various public/civic initiatives that are directed towards the social institutions of family and parenthood.
Online articles about my previous research
Re-prints of my Ageing & Society article have appeared on several websites:
IQ HSE.ru (25 December 2017) Иллюзорный идеал старения: как выжить в мире культивируемой молодости https://iq.hse.ru/news/213351492.html
ForbesWoman (10 January 2018) Успешное старение: как россиянки переживают свой возраст во времена культа молодости http://www.forbes.ru/forbes-woman/355423-uspeshnoe-starenie-kak-rossiyanki-perezhivayut-svoy-vozrast-vo-vremena-kulta
Science Newsline Psychology (16 January 2018) Survival strategies for women in a youth-centric world: http://www.sciencenewsline.com/news/2018011615330023.html
EurekAlert The global source of science news (15 January 2018) Survival startegies for women in a youth-centric culture: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-01/nruh-ssf011518.php
My non-Scopus/WoS peer-reviewed publication
Davidenko, M. (2013) ‘Discipline and power in women’s beauty practices in post-Soviet Russia’, Crossroads: An interdisciplinary journal for the study of history, philosophy, religion and classics, 6.2: 84-93.
A report produced with colleagues from a family therapy center affiliated with La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia
Davidenko, M., Goodyear, M., Weir, S., Sundbery, J. (2014) Cross-sector collaboration: Implications for Gambler’s Help, Community Services Team, Bouverie Centre, La Trobe. Available online: http://www.responsiblegambling.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/10123/Background-Paper-Cross-sector-collaboration-web.pdf
- Article Albert V. A., Davidenko M. Justification work: The homeless workers’ movement and the pragmatic sociology of dissent in Brazil’s crisis // European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology. 2018. Vol. 5. No. 1-2. P. 194-217. doi
- Article Davidenko M. Multiple femininities in two Russian women’s magazines, 1970s–1990s // Journal of Gender Studies. 2018. Vol. 27. No. 4. P. 445-463. doi
- Article Davidenko M. Searching for lost femininity: Russian middle-aged women’s participation in the post-Soviet consumer culture // Journal of Consumer Culture. 2017. P. 1-20. doi (in press)
- Article Davidenko M. The ambiguities of self-governance: Russian middle-aged middle-class women’s reflections on ageing // Ageing and Society. 2017. P. 1-20. doi (in press)
- Article Davidenko M. Discipline and power in women’s beauty practices in post-Soviet Russia // Crossroads: An interdisciplinary journal for the study of history, philosophy, religion and classics. 2013. Vol. 6. No. 2. P. 84-93.
Davidenko, M. and Albert, V. (2018) 'Justification work: The homeless workers' movement and the pragmatic sociology of dissent in Brazil's crisis', Culture in Political Context, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland, 31 May-1 June.
Davidenko, M. (2014) ‘The capital of beauty at work: women’s negotiation of unspoken rules’, TASA 2014, Adelaide, Australia, 24-27 November.
Davidenko, M. (2014) ‘Beauty at work: The body of a professional self’, 10th Crossroads Conference, Association for Cultural Studies, Tampere, Finland, 1-4 July.
Davidneko, M. (2014) ‘Soviet Russian women’s beauty practices: limited choices and responsibility’, Australian Women’s and Gender Studies Association, Melbourne, Australia, 23-25 June.
Davidenko, M. (2013) ‘Women’s beauty practices in the ‘field’ of consumption, 1970s-2000s’, Beyond Transition?: New Direction in Eastern and Central European Studies, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 2-4 October.
Davidenko, M. (2012) ‘Changing representations of femininity in (post-)Soviet press in the 1960s-1990s’, Gender Games: Stories in/for the Contemporary World, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, 26-27 November.
Davidenko, M. (2011) ‘Discipline and power in women’s beauty practices in post-Soviet Russia’, Perspectives on Power, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, 23-25 November.
- Write up Award, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University, Oct-Jan 2014-2015, $ 7,000.
- TASA 2014 Postgraduate Conference Scholarship, The Australian Sociological Association, Nov 2014, $ 300.
- 2012 Sustainable Research Excellence Funding Scheme (research trip funding), Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University, 2012, $ 4,612.
- School Research Grant (conference funding), School of Social Sciences, La Trobe University, 2011, $ 500.
- 2010 School Research Funding (research trip funding), Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University, 2010, $ 2,500.
- La Trobe University Postgraduate Research Scholarships (LTUPRS) and La Trobe Fee Remission Research Scholarship (LTUFRRS), 2010-2013, $ 20,000.
- Japanese Government Research Scholarship (Monbukagakusho), 2008-2009, 143,000 yen/month.
- Abroad Language Scholarship, Moscow State University, 2005-2006.