- Deputy Director:Centre for Sociocultural Research
- Klaus Boehnke has been at HSE University since 2017.
- provide general scientific supervision of the Research works with regard to the project “Socio-psychological consequences of changing cultural and socio-economic contexts on the post-Soviet space”;
- personally participate in main research works, formulate the progress and final tasks of the conducted research, and research outcomes;
- consult with and advise the Head of the International Laboratory of Socio-Cultural Research, its foreign scholars, and other staff with regard to the research they carry out, including advice on goals, theory, methods, analysis, application of findings, and preparation of publications;
- consult on ways to improve and develop the research team if requested by the Head of the Laboratory;
- consult with regard to selection of associated contractors for scheduled scientific and research works performed within the framework of the Research in accordance with HSE established procedures;
- carry out research work, introduce the results of the scientific research into the teaching process and publish the results of scientific work in accordance with the established order within the terms of the Employment Agreement.
Education and Degrees
Technical University of Berlin
Technical University of Berlin
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
Summer School «From Proposal to Submission: Design of Cross-Cultural Study», HSE, June 2017
Student Term / Thesis Papers
Y. Mohammadghasemi, What Determines Young Academics' Choice of Research Topics? The Role of Values, Beliefs, Self-actualization and Subconscious Mind. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
- Research Seminar "Social and Cross-cultural Psychology" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods in Psychology (Master’s programme; Institute for Cognitive Neuroscience; 1 year, 1-3 module)Eng
Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods in Psychology (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; field of study "37.04.01. Психология", field of study "37.04.01. Психология"; 1 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Article Witte E. H., Stanciu A., Boehnke K. A New Empirical Approach to Intercultural Comparisons of Value Preferences Based on Schwartz’s Theory // Frontiers in Psychology. 2020. Vol. 11. P. 1-18. doi
- Article Boehnke K., Schiefer D., van Egmond M. C., Hanke K., Klar Y., Roccas S. Conceiving one‘s national group as transgenerational: Effects on attitudes towards ‘foreign’ and diaspora migrants. // Plos One. 2020. Vol. 15. No. 4. P. e0230303-1-e0230303-21. doi
- Article Ponizovskiy V., Arant R., Larsen M., Boehnke K. Sticking to common values: Neighbourhood social cohesion moderates the effect of value congruence on life satisfaction // Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology. 2020. P. 1-17. doi (in press)
- Article Larsen M. M., Esenaliev D., Brück T., Boehnke K. The connection between social cohesion and personality: A multilevel study in the Kyrgyz Republic // International Journal of Psychology. 2020. Vol. 55. No. 1. P. 42-51. doi
- Article Boehnke K., Berrueto A., Dragolov G., Ocampo Villegas P. Are Value Preferences and Social Cohesion Interconnected? The Case of Mexico // Acta de Investigación Psicológica. 2019. Vol. 9. No. 2. P. 35-45. doi
- Article Hadjar A., Schiefer D., Boehnke K., Frindte W., Geschke D. Devoutness to Islam and the attitudinal acceptance of political violence among young Muslims in Germany // Political Psychology. 2019. Vol. 40. No. 2. P. 205-222. doi
- Article Jackson J. C., Van Egmond M., Choi V. K., Ember C. R., Halberstadt J., Balanovic J., Basker I. N., Boehnke K., Buki N., Fischer R., Fulop M., Fulmer A., Homan A., Van Kleef G. A., Kreemers L., Schei V., Szabo E., Ward C., Gelfand M. J. Ecological and cultural factors underlying the global distribution of prejudice // Plos One. 2019. Vol. 14. No. 9. P. e0221953. doi
- Article Ponizovskiy V., Grigoryan L., Kühnen U., Boehnke K. Social Construction of the Value-Behavior Relation // Frontiers in Psychology. 2019. Vol. 10. P. 1-12. doi
- Book Boehnke K. Zusammenhalt in Vielfalt: Das Vielfaltsbarometer der Robert Bosch Stiftung. Stuttgart : Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, 2019.
- Article Koschinsky A., Heinrich L., Boehnke K., Cohrs J. C., Markus T., Shani M., Singh P., Smith Stegen K., Werner W. Deep‐sea mining: Interdisciplinary research on potential environmental, legal, economic, and societal implications // Integrated environmental assessment and management. 2018. Vol. 14. No. 6. P. 672-691. doi
- Article Boehnke K., Kornyeyeva L., Arant R. Selbstakzeptanz und Autoritarismus: Ein empirisches Plädoyer für die Wiedereinführung einer psychodynamischen Komponente in die Autoritarismusforschung [Self-acceptance and authoritarianism: an empirical plea for the reintroduction of a psychodynamic component into authoritarianism research] // Politische Psychologie. 2018. Vol. 6. No. 1. P. 155-175.
- Article Delhey J., Boehnke K., Dragolov G., Ignácz Z., Larsen M., Lorenz J., Koch M. Social Cohesion and Its Correlates: A Comparison of Western and Asian Societies // Comparative Sociology. 2018. Vol. 17. No. 3-4. P. 426-455. doi
- Chapter Galyapina V. N., Lebedeva N., Lepshokova Z., Boehnke K. Values of Ethnic Russian Minority Members in North Caucasus Republics of the Russian Federation: An Inter- and Intragenerational Comparison, in: Changing Values and Identities in Post-Communist World / Отв. ред.: N. Lebedeva.; Ed. by N. Lebedeva, R. Dimitrova, J. W. Berry. Switzerland : Springer, 2018. doi Ch. 8. P. 157-173. doi
- Chapter Boehnke K. Werteentwicklung und Wertewandel bei Kindern – Wünsche an die Forschung., in: Werteentwicklung im Kindes- und Jugendalter. Warsz. : Liberi Libri, 2018. P. 77-96.
- Article Boehnke K. Zur Ähnlichkeit rechtsextremer Verhaltenstendenzen von Studierenden und ihren Eltern // Zeitschrift fuer Familienforschung. 2017. Vol. 29. No. 3. P. 340-354. doi
- 2018XIX Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Values of ethnic Russians and the indigenous population in North Caucasus Republics of the Russian Federation: a three-generation comparison
- V International Research Conference “Culture in Society, Between Groups and Across Generations” (Moscow). Presentation: On the Development of Value Preferences in Mid-Adulthood: Exploratory Evidence From a Multi-Wave Longitudinal Study
- 2017NORDDEUTSCHER GENOSSENSCHAFTSTAG 2017 (Бремен). Presentation: Der Wert guter Nachbarschaft: Erörterungen am Beispiel des Bremer ‘Radar gesellschaftlicher Zusammenhalt’
- XVIII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development (Москва). Presentation: Peer-to-peer transmission of value orientations in adolescence
- 4th International Research Conference. Culture in society, between groups and across generations. International Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research (HSE). (Москва). Presentation: Is right-wing extremism hereditary? Similarities of right-wing extremist behavioral tendencies among parents and their offspring
- 7th Summer School From Proposal to Submission: Design of Cross-Cultural Study (Москва). Presentation: Who you are depends on where you are.
- 7th Summer School From Proposal to Submission: Design of Cross-Cultural Study (Москва). Presentation: A new empirical approach to inter-cultural comparisons of value preferences based on Schwartz’s theory
2008-2009 - Visiting Professor at the Department of Psychology of the National University of Singapore
2002-present - Full Professor of Social Science Methodology at Jacobs University Bremen, formerly the International University Bremen
1997-1998 - Visiting Professor at the Department of Sociology of the University of Toronto, Canada
1993-2002 Full Professor of Socialization Research and Methodology at the Department of Sociology of Chemnitz University of Technology
1992-1993 - Reader/Associate Professor for Methodology at the Department of Education of the Free University of Berlin
1990-1992 - Senior Guest Lecturer/Adjunct Professor at the Institute for Educational Psychology of Humboldt University in Berlin
1987 - Visiting Scholar at the Department of Psychology of the Australian National University, Canberra 1986-1992 Senior Lecturer/Assistant Professor for Methodology at the Department of Education of the Free University of Berlin
1981-1985 - Lecturer for Educational Psychology at the Department of Psychology of the University of Technology in Berlin
1981 - Guest Lecturer for Statistics at the Department of Psychology of the University of Technology in Berlin
1980-1981 - Elementary School Teacher
1979-1981 - Guest Lecturer for Sport Psychology at the Department of Sports Science of the Free University of Berlin
1978-1981 - Tutor for Statistics at the Department of Psychology of the University of Technology in Berlin
Deputy director of the Center for Sociocultural Research Prof. Klaus Boehnke received the award "Outstanding Psychologist outside the United States" from the American Psychological Association (International Psychology - APA Division 52).
From July 2 to July 5, staff of the ILSCR took part in the XVI European Congress of Psychology (ECP 2019), which this year was held in Moscow.
April 5-6 the VI International Research Conference "Culture in society, between groups and across generations", organized by the International Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research at the Expert Institute of the Higher School of Economics took place in Moscow.
Based at the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences of Jacobs University Bremen, Germany, Dr. Klaus Boehnke serves as the co-head of the International Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research at HSE. He recently delivered a talk entitled ‘Adolescent Annihilation Fears and Lifetime Happiness: Insights from a Long-Term Longitudinal Study’. In an interview with HSE News Service, Dr. Klaus Boehnke described his professional activity at HSE and commented on HSE’s international research projects.
On December 06 Klaus Boehnke (PhD, Professor, Bremen Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS), Jacobs University Bremen, Germany; co-head,International Scientific-Educational Laboratory for Socio-Cultural ResearchNational Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow) took part in the "Culture matters" research seminar with the report "Adolescent Annihilation Fears and Lifetime Happiness: Insights from a Long-Term Longitudinal Study".
18 - 21 June 2018 in Kolomna near Moscow there was the VIII Summer School "Design of Cross-Cultural Study", organized by the International laboratory for socio-cultural research, Expert Institute, Higher School of Economics. The teachers of the school were the leading foreign researchers with a world name: Fons van de Vijver (PhD, Professor, Tilburg University, IL SCR, HSE), Klaus Boehnke (PhD, Deputy head, IL SCR, HSE; Professor, Jacobs University, Bremen) and Andreas Alif Hajar (PhD, Professor, University of Luxembourg, Esch-sur-Alzette).
This book offers a comparative analysis of value and identity changes in several post-Soviet countries. In light of the tremendous economic, social and political changes in former communist states, the authors compare the values, attitudes and identities of different generations and cultural groups. Based on extensive empirical data, using quantitative and qualitative methods to study complex social identities, this book examines how intergenerational value and identity changes are linked to socio-economic and political development. Topics include the rise of nationalist sentiments, identity formation of ethnic and religious groups and minorities, youth identity formation and intergenerational value conflicts.
April 12-13 the V International Research Conference "Culture in society, between groups and across generations", organized by the International Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research at the Expert Institute of the Higher School of Economics took place in Moscow.
On December 15 Klaus Boehnke and Georgi Dragolov took part in the "Culture matters" research seminar with the report on "What drives societal and individual quality of life?".
On October 10 Klaus Boehnke took part in the "Culture matters" research seminar with the report on "Are Socially Cohesive Societies Healthier? On the Influence of the Societal Level of Social Cohesion on the Health Status of Western Publics".
April 18-20 the IV International Research Conference "Culture in society, between groups and across generations", organized by the International Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research at the Expert Institute of the Higher School of Economics took place in Moscow.