- Academic Supervisor:International laboratory for Applied Network Research
- Anuška Ferligoj has been at HSE University since 2017.
- scientific leadership of the laboratory, general organization of scientific and educational activities
Education and Degrees
Edvard Kardelj University in Ljubljana
Edvard Kardelj University in Ljubljana
- Analysis of Covariance Models (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Multidimensional Data Analysis (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Multidimensional Data Analysis (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 2 year, 3 module)Eng
- Article Matveeva N., Batagelj V., Ferligoj A. Scientific collaboration of post-Soviet countries: the effects of different network normalizations // Scientometrics. 2023. Vol. 128. No. 8. P. 4219-4242. doi
- Chapter Ferligoj A. Clustering of Attribute Data and Network Data, in: SIS 2022. 51st Scientific Meeting of the Italian Statistical Society. Caserta, Italy: Pearson (PEARSON.COM), 2022. (in press)
- Article Cugmas M., Ferligoj A., Škerlavaj M., Žiberna A. Global structures and local network mechanisms of knowledge-flow networks // Plos One. 2021. Vol. 16. No. 2. Article e0246660. doi
- Article Cugmas M., Žiberna A., Ferligoj A. The Relative Fit measure for evaluating a blockmodel // Statistical Methods and Applications. 2021. Vol. 30. P. 1315-1335. doi
- Article Cugmas M., Ferligoj A., Kogovšek T., Batagelj Z. The social support networks of elderly people in Slovenia during the Covid-19 pandemic // Plos One. 2021. Vol. 16. No. 3. Article e0247993. doi
- Book Advances in Network Clustering and Blockmodeling / Ed. by P. Doreian, V. Batagelj, A. Ferligoj. Wiley Series in Computational and Quantitative Social Science. Wiley, 2020.
- Chapter Batagelj V., Ferligoj A., Doreian P. Bibliometric analyses of the network clustering literature, in: Advances in Network Clustering and Blockmodeling / Ed. by P. Doreian, V. Batagelj, A. Ferligoj. Wiley Series in Computational and Quantitative Social Science. Wiley, 2020. Ch. 2. P. 11-64. doi
- Article Matveeva N., Ferligoj A. Scientific collaboration in Russian universities before and after the excellence initiative Project 5-100 // Scientometrics. 2020. Vol. 124. No. 3. P. 2383-2407. doi
- Article Cugmas M., Žiberna A., Ferligoj A. Mechanisms generating asymmetric core-cohesive blockmodels // Metodoloski Zvezki. 2019. Vol. 16. No. 1. P. 17-41.
- Article Marjan C., Ferligoj A. Comparing two partitions of non-equal sets of units // Metodoloski Zvezki. 2018. Vol. 15. No. 1. P. 1-21.
- Article Cugmas M., Ferligoj A., ŽIBERNA A. Generating global network structures by triad types // Plos One. 2018. Vol. 13. No. 5. P. 1-24. doi
- Article ŽNIDARŠIČ A., Ferligoj A., DOREIAN P. Stability of centrality measures in valued networks regarding different actor non-response treatments and macro-network structures // Network Science. 2018. Vol. 6. No. 1. P. 1-33. doi
- Article Mali F., Pustovrh T., Marjan C., Ferligoj A. The personal factors in scientific collaboration: views held by slovenian researchers // Corvinus Journal of Sociology and Social Policy. 2018. No. 10. P. 3-24. doi
- Article Ferligoj A., Žnidaršič A., Doreian P. Actor non-response in valued social networks: The impact of different non-response treatments on the stability of blockmodels // Social networks. 2017. Vol. 48. P. 46-56. doi
- Article Mali F., Pustovrh T., Platinovsek R., Kronegger L., Ferligoj A. The effects of funding and co-authorship on research performance in a small scientific community // Science and Public Policy. 2017. Vol. 44. No. 4. P. 486-496. doi
- Article Batagelj V., Ferligoj A., SQUAZZONI F. The emergence of a field : a network analysis of research on peer review. // Scientometrics. 2017. Vol. 113. No. 1. P. 503-532. doi
All publications and scientific activities
Detailed information on the scientific activity can be found here.
Detailed information on the conference participation can be found here (sections 1.06 - 1.13).
Editorial board membership
1987: Metodoloski zvezki
1987 – 2012: Metodoloski zvezki (Editor)
2007 – 2011: Advances in Data Analysis and Classification
1999 – 2010: Journal of Mathematical Sociology
2007 – 2008: Statistical Analysis and Data Mining
1995 – 2008: Statistics in Transition
1996 – 2006: Statistical Theory & Method Abstracts
1993 – 1998: Series: Studies in Classification, data Analysis, and Knowledge Organization
1991 – 1994: IFCS Newsletter
1985 – 1991: Statistička revija
1982 – 1983: Bilten Statističnega društva Slovenije (Editor)
2005: Member of the Editorial Board, Structure and Dynamics (Structure and Dynamics: eJournal of the Anthropological and Related Sciences).
2003: Member of the Editorial Board, Social Networks (Social networks).
2001: Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Classification.
ANUŠKA FERLIGOJ, born August 19, 1947 in Ljubljana.
Ph.D. in Information Science (University of Ljubljana, 1983), M.S. in Operational Research (University of Ljubljana, 1979), Bachelor of Science: Mathematics and Physics (University of Ljubljana, 1971).
Full Professor of Statistics.
She has lecured at all levels and several faculties at the University of Ljubljana and abroad courses on statistics (e.g., Statistics, Multivariate Analysis), social network analysis and methodology. She was guest professor in 2009/10 at the University of Vienna (Paul Lazarsfeld Professorship).
Her research fields: multivariate analysis (especially cluster analysis with constraints and multicriteria clustering), social network analysis (especially measuring networks and blockmodeling), assessing reliability and validity of measurement, analysis of the scientific collaboration networks in time and the use of statistical methods in various scientific disciplines. She published 83 scientific papers, also in the most outstanding journals in the field of methodology and statistics. Her most important books include: Razvrščanje v skupine (1989), Osnove statistike na prosojnicah (1995, 1997), Zanesljivost in veljavnost merjenja (1995) (et al.), Statistični terminološki slovar (1994, 2001) (et al.), Generalized Blockmodeling (et al., Cambridge University Press, 2005), and Understanding Large Temporal Networks and Spacial Networks (et al., Wiley, 2014). She was editor of the journal Metodološki zvezki in 2004-2012 (before series from 1987), now a member of the editorial board. She is also member of the editorial boards of the scientific journals: Journal of Classification (2003-); Social Networks (2003-2015); Journal of Mathematical Sociology (1993-2008); Methodology (2005-); Advances in Data Analysis and Classification (2007-2012, in 2011 guest editor); Statistical Analysis and Data Mining (2007-2011); Structure and Dynamics (2005-); Bulletin of Sociological Methodology (2010-); Statistics in Transition (1995-) and Corvinus Journal of Sociology and Social Policy (2010-). She is elected member of the European Academy of Sociology and elected member of the International Statistical Institute. She is a board member of the International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS).
Expert and organizational work:
She is the head of research programme Social Science Methodology, Statistics and Informatics which was selected among the best research programmes financed by the Slovenian Research Agency in the years 2005 and 2006. She leads other research projects, co-ordinated ESF ECRP project (2010-2012) where co-authorship networks of Slovenian researchers were studied. She also participated at TEMPUS-JPCR project and recently at two COST Action projects (TD 1306 and CA 15109). She was the head of the Programme Council of the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Programme in Statistics till 2012, now she is the head of Masters programme on Applied Statistics at the University of Ljubljani. She is the president of the Statistical Council of the Republic of Slovenia and was a member of the European Statistical Advisory Committee (ESAC) (2011-2015). She is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Austran Platform for Surveys, Methods and Empirical Analysis – PUMA (2014-) and was a member of the Scientific Council of the Slovenian Research Agency (2011-2015). She organized more than 30 international conferences, also the conferences sponsored by RC33 (1988), INSNA (2004), IFCS (2006), ESRA (2013) and first meeting of the COST Action 15109 (2016).
She received the Boris Kidrič Fund Award (1990), the Fulbright Scholarship (1990/1991), the title of Ambassador of Science of Republic of Slovenia (1997), the award of the Statistical Society of Slovenia (1997), the Rok Petrović Fund Award for mentoring diploma thesis (1998), the award of the best professor at the Faculty of Social Sciences in 2007 and 2008 given by faculty students, the Simmel Award in 2007 given by the International Network for Social Network Analysis (INSNA), Marijan Blejec Award given by Statistical Society of Slovenia (2012), and Golden Plaque given by the University of Ljubljana (2013). For the monograph Generalized Blockmodeling she was awarded the Harrison White Outstanding Book Award for 2007 of the Mathematical Sociology Section of the American Sociological Association. In 2010 she received Doctor et Professor Honoris Causa at Eotvos Lorand University (ELTE) in Budapest. In 2020, she became a Professor Emeritus of the University of Ljubljana.
From July 4–8, the 14th Summer School ‘Methods and Tools for Analysing Social Networks’ was held by the International Laboratory for Applied Network Research (ANR Lab). The dissemination of knowledge about the most recent methods of network analysis is one of the goals of the laboratory. Social network analysis is an interdisciplinary field that studies networks of interactions between different objects (such as people, organisations, institutions, countries, words in texts, texts on the internet) and identifying hidden patterns within them.
On July 8, the Summer School 'Methods and Tools for Analyzing Social Networks' ended. We present you a brief overview of the events that the ANR-Lab team held as part of the 14th Summer School.
On July 3, the graduation of the master's programme 'Applied Statistics with Network Analysis' was held for students of the 2021 enrollment.
In December, ANR-Lab Head Daria Maltseva visited the Center for Methodology and Social Informatics of the University of Ljubljana, where she met with the laboratory supervisors, exchanged experience with foreign colleagues, and also agreed on future cooperation in the field of scientific and educational activities.
Congratulations to Anuška Ferligoj and Vladimir Batagelj on receiving the honorary awards of the Republic of Slovenia for achievements in research and development.
The conference was held online on September 6-10 and brought together sociologists, statisticians, computer and science specialists, economists, humanitarians, and scientists from all fields related to network science. The conference presented current results and the latest methodological developments in the field of social network analysis.
On July 5-10, Networks2021 was held – joint conference of Sunbelt and NetSci, the main international conferences on network analysis and network science. Nine laboratory members made oral and poster presentations at the conference and took part in workshops within the conference framework.
On June 17-19, the 8th STS Italia International Conference "Dis/Entangling Technoscience" was held, dedicated to the interaction between technoscience and society. Seven ANR-Lab members made presentations in the track "The New Role of R&D Networks and Evaluation Processes in the Time of "Big Science.""
The laboratory's scientific advisor, Anuška Ferligoj, and senior research fellow Vladimir Batagelj got new recognitions.
On September 24-25, the ANR-Lab Anuška Ferligoj and senior researcher of the lab Vladimir Batagelj took part in the European Conference on Statistical Network Science COSTNET.
A new book of scientific supervisors of ANR-Lab Anuška Ferligoj and Vladimir Batagelj, dedicated to new achievements in blockmodeling
In January 2020, Wiley published the book "Advances in Network Clustering and Blockmodeling", edited by the ANR-Lab leading foreign experts Anuška Ferligoj and Vladimir Batagelj, jointly with Patrick Doreian. The work contains an overview of developments and achievements in the field of network clustering and blockmodeling over the past 10 years.
The 7th international workshop on the analysis of social networks was held on October 29-31 in Salerno, Italy. The workshop was about multilayer, multilevel and multimode networks. Some of our laboratory members and students of the master's program presented the results of their research on the thematic sessions.
10th International Summer School “Analysis of Scientific Networks” and International Workshop on Scientific Networks
ANR-Lab, jointly with the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana, has conducted the 10th International Summer School “Analysis of Scientific Networks” and the International Workshop on Scientific Networks.
New scientific advisor of the ANR-Lab prof. dr. Anuška Ferligoj has made a presentation on the topic “Measuring networks: Reliability and Validity” at the Monday open seminar.
Senior Researcher of the International Laboratory for Applied Network Research Daria Maltseva took part in the 22nd Young Statisticians Meeting, which was held on October 13-15, 2017 in Zagreb, Croatia.