- Head of Unit:Office of Academic Development / Development of Academic Competences Unit
- Svetlana Suchkova has been at HSE University since 2016.
- coordinates the activities of Academic Writing Centre (AWC)
- monitors the quality of AWC services
- runs courses and seminars
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2001Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Degree in English and German Languages
Kuibyshev State Teacher Training Institute
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2001-2003 - Trainer certificates of the British Council, Moscow; Moscow-Plymouth; Samara-OSI New York
2005 - Online course Integrating the Internet into the Classroom, AES, Lewis&Clark College, Oregon, USA
July 2010 - EF International School of English, Cambridge, UK, Course Certificate, EFCELT level C2 (Council of Europe)
January 2014 - British Council trainer certificate
2014 - 8-week online course ColWri2.2x: Principles of Written English, edX, Berkeley University, USA
2014 - 8-week online course UWashingtonX: COMM220UWx: Introduction to Public Speaking, University of Washington, USA
April-July, 2015 - 60-hour online course Teaching English for Academic Purposes, NILE, UK
2015-2016 - 20-week online CertICT course, Trinity College, London, UK
2016 - Coursera course Scholarly Communication, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
2016 - International Visitor Leadership Program, US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, “Developing Academic Writing Centers: A Project for Russia"
2019 - Margaret Cargill's course Writing a Research Article for International Submission, Moscow
2020 - Online course Advanced Writing Strategies for Immediate Improvement, Udemy
2020 - Online course Becoming a Writer, Udemy
- Article Bogolepova S. V., Suchkova S., Oschepkova T., Shadrova E. English for academics concept: Course principles in teaching EAP to researchers // Professional and Academic English. 2017. No. 49. P. 22-31.
- Article Прохоров С. А., Куликовских И. М., Suchkova S. Promoting collaborative learning through regulation of guessing in clickers // Computers in Human Behavior. 2017. No. 75. P. 81-91.
- Book Сучкова С. А., Дудникова Г. М., Адаева О. М. Learn to Write with Us: A Process-based Writing Textbook. Самара : ООО «Офорт», 2015.
- Article Кузнецова Л. Б., Сучкова С. А. Актив или пассив? «Я» или «МЫ»? // Высшее образование в России. 2015. № 8-9. С. 143-148.
- Book Сучкова С. А. Читаем лекции на английском языке: учебное пособие для преподавателей высших учебных заведений. Самара : Изд-во СГАУ, 2015.
- Book Кузнецова Л. Б., Сучкова С. А. Academic English for Students of Social Science. СПб. : СПбГУ, 2013.
- Book Сучкова С. А. Cicero's Secrets: or how to become a successful public speaker. Самара : ООО «Офорт», 2013.
- 2019Academic Writing at Intersections, 10th Conference of the European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing (Gothenburg). Presentation: Workshop "Russian Academics’ Challenges: Results of a Diagnostic Module"
- 2019 Symposium on Second Language Writing (Tempe, Arizona). Presentation: Workshop "Writing for publication purposes: Challenges of ESL/EFL writers"
- Academic Writing in a Global World: Current Challenges and Future Perspectives (Москва). Presentation: Workshop "Research into Academic Writing: Finding a Focus and Developing Questions"
- NATE Jubilee Conference: 25 Years of Navigating Through Challenges (St. Petersburg). Presentation: Workshop "How can we make action research publishable?"
- 2018Samara Academic Writing Institute "Dealing with pressure to publish" (Samara). Presentation: From submission to publication: Reviewer's perspective
- Politics and the Writing Centre: Inquiry, Knowledge, Dialogue, and Action (Saskatoon). Presentation: National Consortium of Writing Centers as a Response to Government Incentives
- Российско-китайский молодежный форум "Волга-Янцзы"- iВолга (Самара). Presentation: Workshop: Tips for a successful project presentation
- II Школа научной коммуникации (Томск). Presentation: Статья на английском языке: ожидания читателя и типичные ошибки
- Re-inventing the teacher and English language education (Moscow). Presentation: Workshop: Is classroom research publishable?
- The 5th Annual Conference on EAP/ESP/EMI in the Context of Internationalization of Higher Educaton (Москва). Presentation: Finding Your Route to Research Writing: Diagnostic module of HSE Academic Writing Center
- 2017The 9th conference of the European Association for Teaching Academic Writing (Royal Holloway, University of London). Presentation: Academic mobility: Russian writers' challenges
- The 3d International Research Conference "Teaching English in Professional Context: Entering Global Community" (Tambov). Presentation: Plenary: What do we teach when we teach writing? Workshop:Master Your Editing Skills
- The 4th International Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the Context of Higher Education Internationalization (Moscow). Presentation: Workshop: Using self-editing strategies for better writing
- The 4th Okrug Conference of Yamalia English Language Teachers' Association (Gubkinsky). Presentation: Workshop: What's critical about critical thinking?