- Head of Unit:Office of Academic Development / Development of Academic Competences Unit
- Svetlana Suchkova has been at HSE University since 2016.
- coordinates the activities of Academic Writing Centre (AWC)
- monitors the quality of AWC services
- runs courses and seminars
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2001Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Degree in English and German Languages
Kuibyshev State Teacher Training Institute
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2001-2003 - Trainer certificates of the British Council, Moscow; Moscow-Plymouth; Samara-OSI New York
2005 - Online course Integrating the Internet into the Classroom, AES, Lewis&Clark College, Oregon, USA
July 2010 - EF International School of English, Cambridge, UK, Course Certificate, EFCELT level C2 (Council of Europe)
January 2014 - British Council trainer certificate
2014 - 8-week online course ColWri2.2x: Principles of Written English, edX, Berkeley University, USA
2014 - 8-week online course UWashingtonX: COMM220UWx: Introduction to Public Speaking, University of Washington, USA
April-July, 2015 - 60-hour online course Teaching English for Academic Purposes, NILE, UK
2015-2016 - 20-week online CertICT course, Trinity College, London, UK
2016 - Coursera course Scholarly Communication, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
2016 - International Visitor Leadership Program, US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, “Developing Academic Writing Centers: A Project for Russia"
2019 - Margaret Cargill's course Writing a Research Article for International Submission, Moscow
2020 - Online course Advanced Writing Strategies for Immediate Improvement, Udemy
2020 - Online course Becoming a Writer, Udemy
2020-2021 - The 100-hour online course Teaching Genre in the Writing Center
sponsored by RELO Tallinn and the National University of Science and Technology MISIS
- Book Academic Listening: Waste-to-Energy Solutions / Отв. ред.: S. Suchkova.; Ed. by S. Suchkova. , 2020.
- Book Suchkova S., Bazanova E. How to Write a Research Article. Textbook for early-career researchers. M. : Академический научно-издательский, производственно-полиграфический и книгораспространительский центр Российской академии наук "Издательство "Наука", 2020. doi
- Article Bogolepova S. V., Suchkova S., Oschepkova T., Shadrova E. English for academics concept: Course principles in teaching EAP to researchers // Professional and Academic English. 2017. No. 49. P. 22-31.
- Article Прохоров С. А., Куликовских И. М., Suchkova S. Promoting collaborative learning through regulation of guessing in clickers // Computers in Human Behavior. 2017. No. 75. P. 81-91.
- Book Сучкова С. А., Дудникова Г. М., Адаева О. М. Learn to Write with Us: A Process-based Writing Textbook. Самара : ООО «Офорт», 2015.
- Article Кузнецова Л. Б., Сучкова С. А. Актив или пассив? «Я» или «МЫ»? // Высшее образование в России. 2015. № 8-9. С. 143-148.
- Book Сучкова С. А. Читаем лекции на английском языке: учебное пособие для преподавателей высших учебных заведений. Самара : Изд-во СГАУ, 2015.
- Book Кузнецова Л. Б., Сучкова С. А. Academic English for Students of Social Science. СПб. : СПбГУ, 2013.
- Book Сучкова С. А. Cicero's Secrets: or how to become a successful public speaker. Самара : ООО «Офорт», 2013.
- 2019Academic Writing at Intersections, 10th Conference of the European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing (Gothenburg). Presentation: Workshop "Russian Academics’ Challenges: Results of a Diagnostic Module"
- 2019 Symposium on Second Language Writing (Tempe, Arizona). Presentation: Workshop "Writing for publication purposes: Challenges of ESL/EFL writers"
- Academic Writing in a Global World: Current Challenges and Future Perspectives (Москва). Presentation: Workshop "Research into Academic Writing: Finding a Focus and Developing Questions"
- NATE Jubilee Conference: 25 Years of Navigating Through Challenges (St. Petersburg). Presentation: Workshop "How can we make action research publishable?"
- 2018Samara Academic Writing Institute "Dealing with pressure to publish" (Samara). Presentation: From submission to publication: Reviewer's perspective
- Politics and the Writing Centre: Inquiry, Knowledge, Dialogue, and Action (Saskatoon). Presentation: National Consortium of Writing Centers as a Response to Government Incentives
- Российско-китайский молодежный форум "Волга-Янцзы"- iВолга (Самара). Presentation: Workshop: Tips for a successful project presentation
- II Школа научной коммуникации (Томск). Presentation: Статья на английском языке: ожидания читателя и типичные ошибки
- Re-inventing the teacher and English language education (Moscow). Presentation: Workshop: Is classroom research publishable?
- The 5th Annual Conference on EAP/ESP/EMI in the Context of Internationalization of Higher Educaton (Москва). Presentation: Finding Your Route to Research Writing: Diagnostic module of HSE Academic Writing Center
- 2017The 9th conference of the European Association for Teaching Academic Writing (Royal Holloway, University of London). Presentation: Academic mobility: Russian writers' challenges
- The 3d International Research Conference "Teaching English in Professional Context: Entering Global Community" (Tambov). Presentation: Plenary: What do we teach when we teach writing? Workshop:Master Your Editing Skills
- The 4th International Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the Context of Higher Education Internationalization (Moscow). Presentation: Workshop: Using self-editing strategies for better writing
- The 4th Okrug Conference of Yamalia English Language Teachers' Association (Gubkinsky). Presentation: Workshop: What's critical about critical thinking?
Founded in 2011, the Academic Writing Centre strives to help HSE University faculty improve their academic and research-writing skills in English. HSE University bulletin Okna spoke to several teachers and researchers who have used the AWC’s services over the decade.
On November 29 Svetlana Suchkova, the AWC director, took part as a speaker in the workshop of the Faculty of Law. The event was aimed at enhancing the publishing activity among faculty members.