- Director:Office of Academic Development / Academic Writing Centre
- Svetlana Suchkova has been at HSE University since 2016.
- coordinates the activities of Academic Writing Centre (AWC)
- monitors the quality of AWC services
- runs courses and seminars
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2001Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Degree in English and German Languages
Kuibyshev State Teacher Training Institute
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2001-2003 - Trainer certificates of the British Council, Moscow; Moscow-Plymouth; Samara-OSI New York
2005 - Online course Integrating the Internet into the Classroom, AES, Lewis&Clark College, Oregon, USA
July 2010 - EF International School of English, Cambridge, UK, Course Certificate, EFCELT level C2 (Council of Europe)
January 2014 - British Council trainer certificate
2014 - 8-week online course ColWri2.2x: Principles of Written English, edX, Berkeley University, USA
2014 - 8-week online course UWashingtonX: COMM220UWx: Introduction to Public Speaking, University of Washington, USA
April-July, 2015 - 60-hour online course Teaching English for Academic Purposes, NILE, UK
2015-2016 - 20-week online CertICT course, Trinity College, London, UK
2016 - Coursera course Scholarly Communication, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
2016 - International Visitor Leadership Program, US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, “Developing Academic Writing Centers: A Project for Russia"
2019 - Margaret Cargill's course Writing a Research Article for International Submission, Moscow
2020 - Online course Advanced Writing Strategies for Immediate Improvement, Udemy
2020 - Online course Becoming a Writer, Udemy
2020-2021 - The 100-hour online course Teaching Genre in the Writing Center
sponsored by RELO Tallinn and the National University of Science and Technology MISIS
- Book Academic Listening: Waste-to-Energy Solutions / Отв. ред.: S. Suchkova.; Ed. by S. Suchkova. , 2020.
- Book Suchkova S., Bazanova E. How to Write a Research Article. Textbook for early-career researchers. M. : Академический научно-издательский, производственно-полиграфический и книгораспространительский центр Российской академии наук "Издательство "Наука", 2020. doi
- Article Bogolepova S. V., Suchkova S., Oschepkova T., Shadrova E. English for academics concept: Course principles in teaching EAP to researchers // Professional and Academic English. 2017. No. 49. P. 22-31.
- Article Прохоров С. А., Куликовских И. М., Suchkova S. Promoting collaborative learning through regulation of guessing in clickers // Computers in Human Behavior. 2017. No. 75. P. 81-91.
- Book Сучкова С. А., Дудникова Г. М., Адаева О. М. Learn to Write with Us: A Process-based Writing Textbook. Самара : ООО «Офорт», 2015.
- Article Кузнецова Л. Б., Сучкова С. А. Актив или пассив? «Я» или «МЫ»? // Высшее образование в России. 2015. № 8-9. С. 143-148.
- Book Сучкова С. А. Читаем лекции на английском языке: учебное пособие для преподавателей высших учебных заведений. Самара : Изд-во СГАУ, 2015.
- Book Кузнецова Л. Б., Сучкова С. А. Academic English for Students of Social Science. СПб. : СПбГУ, 2013.
- Book Сучкова С. А. Cicero's Secrets: or how to become a successful public speaker. Самара : ООО «Офорт», 2013.
2017 – present Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Academic Writing Center director
2016 –2017 Russian State Social University, Moscow, assistant professor
2016 New Economic School, Moscow, assistant professor
2007 – 2016 Samara University, Samara, Dean of Teachers’ Professional Development Department, assistant professor
2010-2012 Medical-Technical Lyceum, Samara, teacher of English IB program
1986 - 2007 Samara State Pedagogical University, assistant professor
1985-1986 Secondary school #3, Novokuibyshevsk, English language teacher
2017- present Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Academic Writing Center director
2016 –2017 Russian State Social University, Moscow, associate professor
2016 New Economic School, Moscow, associate professor
2007 – 2016 Samara University, Samara, associate professor, Dean of Teachers’ Professional Development Department
2010-2012 Medical-Technical Lyceum, Samara, teacher of English, IB program
1986 - 2007 Samara State Pedagogical University, associate professor
1985-1986 Secondary School #3, Novokuibyshevsk, English language teacher
- 2019Academic Writing at Intersections, 10th Conference of the European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing (Gothenburg). Presentation: Workshop "Russian Academics’ Challenges: Results of a Diagnostic Module"
- 2019 Symposium on Second Language Writing (Tempe, Arizona). Presentation: Workshop "Writing for publication purposes: Challenges of ESL/EFL writers"
- Academic Writing in a Global World: Current Challenges and Future Perspectives (Москва). Presentation: Workshop "Research into Academic Writing: Finding a Focus and Developing Questions"
- NATE Jubilee Conference: 25 Years of Navigating Through Challenges (St. Petersburg). Presentation: Workshop "How can we make action research publishable?"
- 2018Samara Academic Writing Institute "Dealing with pressure to publish" (Samara). Presentation: From submission to publication: Reviewer's perspective
- Politics and the Writing Centre: Inquiry, Knowledge, Dialogue, and Action (Saskatoon). Presentation: National Consortium of Writing Centers as a Response to Government Incentives
- Российско-китайский молодежный форум "Волга-Янцзы"- iВолга (Самара). Presentation: Workshop: Tips for a successful project presentation
- II Школа научной коммуникации (Томск). Presentation: Статья на английском языке: ожидания читателя и типичные ошибки
- Re-inventing the teacher and English language education (Moscow). Presentation: Workshop: Is classroom research publishable?
- The 5th Annual Conference on EAP/ESP/EMI in the Context of Internationalization of Higher Educaton (Москва). Presentation: Finding Your Route to Research Writing: Diagnostic module of HSE Academic Writing Center
- 2017The 9th conference of the European Association for Teaching Academic Writing (Royal Holloway, University of London). Presentation: Academic mobility: Russian writers' challenges
- The 3d International Research Conference "Teaching English in Professional Context: Entering Global Community" (Tambov). Presentation: Plenary: What do we teach when we teach writing? Workshop:Master Your Editing Skills
- The 4th International Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the Context of Higher Education Internationalization (Moscow). Presentation: Workshop: Using self-editing strategies for better writing
- The 4th Okrug Conference of Yamalia English Language Teachers' Association (Gubkinsky). Presentation: Workshop: What's critical about critical thinking?
Svetlana Suchkova on the activities of the Academic Writing Centre
From December 16–18, the HSE Academic Writing Centre held a ‘Writers’ Retreat’ aimed at giving HSE University researchers an opportunity to look at their texts from a different perspective. The participants and facilitators of the event spoke with the HSE News Service about the importance of self-editing and peer review.
On December 3-4, 2022, Svetlana Suchkova ran a workshop “To know what to ‘feed,’ we research in what they need” at the MGU international conference.
On October 20-22 the AWC team members took part in the IV international conference "Academic Science Communication: Teaching Non-Native English Speaking Scholars in a Multidisciplinary, Multicultural Context" organized by the National Writing Centers Consortium (NWCC).
The AWC Director Svetlana Suchkova developed and ran a special course for the faculty of the National University of Science and Technology MISIS.
Founded in 2011, the Academic Writing Centre strives to help HSE University faculty improve their academic and research-writing skills in English. HSE University bulletin Okna spoke to several teachers and researchers who have used the AWC’s services over the decade.
On November 29 Svetlana Suchkova, the AWC director, took part as a speaker in the workshop of the Faculty of Law. The event was aimed at enhancing the publishing activity among faculty members.