- Brian McLoone has been at HSE University since 2017.
Brian McLoone received his PhD from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 2016, and joined HSE in September 2017. His primary research interests are philosophy of biology and philosophy of science.
PhD: From University of Wisconsin–Madison (Philosophy) Title: The Causal Scope of Natural Selection
BA: From Tufts University (Philosophy)
Education and Degrees
PhD in Philosophy
University of Wisconsin–Madison
MA in Philosophy
University of Wisconsin–Madison, University of Wisconsin–Madison
BA in Philosophy
Tufts University, Tufts University
- Article McLoone B. Population and Organismal Perspectives on Trait Origins // Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 2020 (in press)
- Article McLoone B. Thumper the Infinitesimal Rabbit: A Fictionalist Perspective on Some "Unimaginable" Model Systems in Biology // Philosophy of Science. 2019. Vol. 86. No. 4. P. 662-671. doi
- Article McLoone B. Stochasticity, Selection, and the Evolution of Cooperation in a Two-Level Moran Model of the Snowdrift Game // Complexity. 2018. P. 1-14. doi
- Article McLoone B. Why a Convincing Argument for Causalism Cannot Entirely Eschew Population-Level Properties: Discussion of Otsuka // Biology and Philosophy. 2018. Vol. 33. No. 11. P. 1-12. doi
- Article McLoone B., Loewe L. e. Evolvix BEST Names for Semantic Reproducibility Across Code2Brain Interfaces // Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2017. No. 1387. P. 124-144.
- Article McLoone B. Some Criticism of the Contextual Approach, and a Few Proposals // Biological Theory. 2015. Vol. 10(2). P. 116-124.
- Article McLoone B., Smead R. The Evolution and Ontogeny of Human Collaboration // Biology and Philosophy. 2014. Vol. 29. P. 559-576.
- Article McLoone B. Selection Explanations of Token Traits // Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 2013. Vol. 44. P. 342-346.
- Article McLoone B. Puzzles for ZFEL, McShea and Brandon’s zero force evolutionary law // Biology and Philosophy (Нидерланды). 2012. Vol. 27. No. 5. P. 723-735. doi
In addition to interviews with international faculty, The HSE Lookis launching a new feature – a column about their life in Russia, what they discover in different cities, and interesting venues at HSE and beyond. If you have an interesting experience to share, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In this issue, we present a column by Brian McLoone.
Every year The HSE Look continues its tradition of welcoming newly recruited international faculty via short summaries about their positions and research interests. In the 34th issue we introduce the tenure-track faculty members, and in November you can learn more about post-doctoral researchers who are starting their work at HSE this fall.